Thread: English translation needed

Default English translation needed

Under Super Touring Category Specification in the GCR (9.1.4.k.1.c) the following is stated:

"All cars, except cars with pop-up headlights, shall have clear
    OEM headlight assemblies in place in the stock headlight positions.
    If headlight assemblies are used, they may be the clear
    OEM assemblies for any country that the car is sold in. Additionally,
    the headlight assembly may consist of a replica bucket
    and the OEM lens. There shall be an operational light bulb within both
    the low and high beam placements."

Does this mean that cars with pop-up headlights do not need to have headlight assemblies in place?

TIA
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

If there is an allowance somewhere else that allows removal of items then pop up headlights do not need OE lenses and operable high & low lamps. Seems they are trying to retain some of the original look of the car, but don't care about what bucket you use or lamps provided they work. Cars w/ pop ups you can't see them, so they don't care.

What does it say about marker lenses, bumper covers & grilles? Similar?

Curious what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    Seems they are trying to retain some of the original look of the car, but don't care about what bucket you use or lamps provided they work. Cars w/ pop ups you can't see them, so they don't care.
    that's how I read it. the next paragraph allows removal of parking / marker lights etc... and for the resulting holes to be patched over or used for ducting. popups have to have the lids down in order to meet the general bodywork rules but so long as they never come up, there's no requirement to have working or even clear lights in them.

I'll add a question: motor must be from same manufacturer and configuration (9.1.4.E.1) but must it have been sold in the US? in other words, could you use a JDM longblock and intake for an engine never sold in the US (like an RB series nissan)? Or one that includes components NOT open under the rules (i.e. intake manifold or head variant) never sold in the us on a motor that otherwise was available (such as 20v toyota 4A-GE)? of course this assumes a 100% adherence to OEM intake and throttle for that motor and other restrictions, and proof in the form of a service manual for the doner car. I don't see why not but I could see where one might have counter arguments as the STCS is just not specific about it.

A little history:
    The STO/STU classes were designed to give current and ex-World Challenge cars a place to run in club racing.
    So, the lighting rules are a carry-over from the Pro rules where the car manufactures who support the series want the cars to 'look' stock.
    They really don't care how the headlights are mounted to the car, as long as they 'look' stock.
    You could hold them in place with chewing gum.

As far as the motors, your right, it's wide-open for choices for STO/STU.
    If you can find a complete motor > 3 liters from from your manufacture or subsidiary, and it fits between the fenders, your probably OK to run it at whatever weight/displacement the rulebook says you have to run.
    You can't cherry-pick bits and pieces from various motors.
    And yes, documentation is the key.
    For instance:
    My take on the rules for STO says if you have a 'real' Roush Mustang, (with a Roush serial number), you can put in any motor (5.8L) that Roush Industries will sell you.
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    that's how I read it. the next paragraph allows removal of parking / marker lights etc... and for the resulting holes to be patched over or used for ducting. popups have to have the lids down in order to meet the general bodywork rules but so long as they never come up, there's no requirement to have working or even clear lights in them.

I'll add a question: motor must be from same manufacturer and configuration (9.1.4.E.1) but must it have been sold in the US? in other words, could you use a JDM longblock and intake for an engine never sold in the US (like an RB series nissan)? Or one that includes components NOT open under the rules (i.e. intake manifold or head variant) never sold in the us on a motor that otherwise was available (such as 20v toyota 4A-GE)? of course this assumes a 100% adherence to OEM intake and throttle for that motor and other restrictions, and proof in the form of a service manual for the doner car. I don't see why not but I could see where one might have counter arguments as the STCS is just not specific about it.
    On the headlight question, you've got it right.

On the engine swap question, the next Fastrack (out next week on the 20th) will have a fairly comprehensive revision of the ST category rules. Among other things, there is new language which limits swapped engines to those that were in cars sold in North America, so hold of on that Nissan RB. Swapped engines must use the intake manifold that was supplied with them.

There is lots more, so if you are planning to build an STU car for next year, hold off buying anything until you see the revision. There is also a nice surprise for the middle size engined IT cars

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gomberg View Post
    On the engine swap question, the next Fastrack (out next week on the 20th) will have a fairly comprehensive revision of the ST category rules. Among other things, there is new language which limits swapped engines to those that were in cars sold in North America, so hold of on that Nissan RB.
    Damn - another way around USDM toyota lameness dies at the hand of xenophobic SCCA rules!!! I was thinking 3rd gen 3SGE in a MkI "AW11" MR2. everything needed for the swap exists and it would be a way to take a car that otherwise is hated in the rules racing competitively, and relatively affordably: $900 for a complete motor before parts and work, off the shelf everything else. the 1st gen version available in the 86-89 USDM celica can be made ok but never as good, (and for more money shim under bucket valve conversion among other things) particularly with the TVIS intake and big port head, a toyota theme it seems they get it right once they only sell it in Right Hand drive.
    Swapped engines must use the intake manifold that was supplied with them.
    understood - somehow I just can't manage to be that clear.
    There is lots more, so if you are planning to build an STU car for next year, hold off buying anything until you see the revision. There is also a nice surprise for the middle size engined IT cars
    a change to their allowance or runing rules in ST or a change to the IT rules overall? I have trouble with the latter interpretation. very interesting. THANKS!

I've heard rumors of STL (Super Touring Light) which would allow more IT cars to run Nationals (and the Runoffs) competitively. I can't IMAGINE wholesale changes to the IT philosophy...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Sounds like IT National-lite
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    I've heard rumors of STL (Super Touring Light) which would allow more IT cars to run Nationals (and the Runoffs) competitively. I can't IMAGINE wholesale changes to the IT philosophy...
    I have heard similar, and it sounds fun.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com