Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual side nets?

Default Dual side nets?

I'm getting ready to purchase a side net and I've noticed some Continental Challenge cars use dual side nets. I can't find a regulation that requires this, but it does seem logical to protect the driver's head from both sides. Is anyone using this type of setup?

Here are some pictures of the setup:
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ound1-daytona/
    (scroll to page 6 and look at the photos on row 4.)
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

If you are talking about the "right side net," we've got one in my Golf.

Talking with some folks I trust, the argument is that - particularly with the halo seat - if the driver stretches out in an impact, the net guides his/her noggin back INSIDE rather than OUTSIDE of the head restraints. We worked hard to get the angle correct (it seemed easy to mount it higher than it should be if one just guessed), and to make the mounting stout enough for the net to pull tight. They actually have a ratchet tensioner. We used a seatbelt mounting eye in the firewall, behind the dash.

K

EDIT - it's not clear in the pic but the net is TIGHT against the seat halo.

Kirk,

My question isn't about running a right side driver's net or not, but a right and left side driver's net. I plan on running at least the right side net and possibly a left side net too. Safety Solutions has a RaceTech Viper seat specific side net that I'm purchasing as I have the RaceTech Viper seat.

The forward mounting point for my driver's side net will be on the knee bar, which isn't a member used in Kirk's cage. So no need for the seatbelt eyelet in the firewall.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Just got off of the phone with Safety Solutions. The dual side nets are mandatory in Grand-Am and have been for the past 2 years. Safety Solutions has been using the dual side nets in Nextel Cup for some time (I think he said @ 2002). So with that in mind I just ordered both a right and left side driver's net for my Volvo.
    Last edited by rsportvolvo; 07-09-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: grammar
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I've heard of them, except that my windows net already wraps around my seat. So in effect you get two nets to take down to get out, where I only have one.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    I've heard of them, except that my windows net already wraps around my seat. So in effect you get two nets to take down to get out, where I only have one.
    Ah - got it. Ditto the above for me. My "regular" window net is right up against my seat halo, too. It's not as tight as the right-side net. I don't recall ever seeing an installation with TWO left-side nets...?

K

Grand Am has required a left side net in addition to the traditional window net for 2 years. It is not just another right side net used on the left because the webbing is opposite of the right side net made for use on the left.

matt

Just one more thing to have to deal with in a fire.

Makes driver changes during a pitstop a real pain in the a@#! In Grand Am you required to have both right and left nets and they have to be from Safety Solutions!!!! Welcome to the good ol boy racing network!! Remember GrandAm is owned by NASCAR!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleXL240Z View Post
    Makes driver changes during a pitstop a real pain in the a@#! In Grand Am you required to have both right and left nets and they have to be from Safety Solutions!!!! Welcome to the good ol boy racing network!! Remember GrandAm is owned by NASCAR!
    So, if you had one custom built from Kevlar by a company that does work for special forces, it would be too good?
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    So, if you had one custom built from Kevlar by a company that does work for special forces, it would be too good?
    almost every (if nto all) required safety and controlled competition parts are source controlled in grand-am. BSR, Safety Solutions and others benefit greatly from the captive market. for what should be an affordable way to go pro racing (continental cup) the required non-competition things like transponder, some data aquisition sub harness, etc... are increadibly cost prohibitive. But whatever, it seems to be working...

My side nets are from Safety Solutions because the make one specifically for the Racetech Viper seats and developed the net with Racetech and Chrysler for the Viper Comp. Coupe.

NASCAR and it's sub-series, e.g. Grand-Am, make money, period. Which is way more than a lot of other series are able to do. Like it or not, they are taking a very pro-active safety and inconveniences do arise from it. SCCA is a safety straggler.

Plus with minimum pit stop times is the extra net really that much of a nuisance? Probably just as much as a balaclava, but I digress. In the end it's you hide, protect it as you see fit.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

After watching the incar footage of Nick Ham cartwheeling the 70 GT car at Miller, and Jeff Segals roll in the 69 at Daytona I will have them in my cars, Really keeps the driver in an envelope. If you did not have the driver change in the equation you could run the recliner style of Nascar but those take a week to get out of as well. They are quick to get loose, but a little slow to get fastened.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

It does add bit of time to a pit stop. But it is a real pain in the buttocks. If you look at the fastening mechanism, its similar to a HANS quick release, with a ratcheting buckle, like on your trailer tie down. Once they are fastened and tightened, than released they have to be practically dismantled to reconnect. Imagine relatching your belts without loosening, except that the window opening can't inhale!!
    Oh, and if its not from Safety Solutions fuggetaboutit!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

So, how is a second net going to get closer to my seat than this?

Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 07-14-2010 at 01:33 AM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

It does add bit of time to a pit stop. But it is a real pain in the buttocks. If you look at the fastening mechanism, its similar to a HANS quick release, with a ratcheting buckle, like on your trailer tie down. Once they are fastened and tightened, than released they have to be practically dismantled to reconnect. Imagine relatching your belts without loosening, except that the window opening can't inhale!!
    Oh, and if its not from Safety Solutions fuggetaboutit!!
    You need to come by and look at ours chris. We have a very simple quick release that is faster than a window net.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Steve, I'd love to see it! Is it the Safety Solutions net? modified Safety Solutions? or a different make made user friendly?
    Last year we were told by GrandAm(NASCRAP), this was the net and it cannot be modified. I guess if everybody has to it use there is no disadvantage, just a pain to use.
    Don't get me wrong I think a right side net is an incredible safety device. As well as a well placed window net on the left side of the seat.
    Last edited by DoubleXL240Z; 07-13-2010 at 05:32 PM.
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    84 944 ITS (sold)

Steve, I'd love to see it! Is it the Safety Solutions net? modified Safety Solutions? or a different make made user friendly?
    Last year we were told by GrandAm(NASCRAP), this was the net and it cannot be modified. I guess if everybody has to it use there is no disadvantage, just a pain to use.
    Don't get me wrong I think a right side net is an incredible safety device. As well as a well placed window net on the left side of the seat.
    This is the one you want:
    http://www.safecraft.com/Mhead-grandAMnets.asp

Its GA approved, and found on many of the cars. More detail, starting on post 64: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ide+net&page=3
    Last edited by Marcus Miller; 07-13-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added link to bf.com
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Thanks Marcus, that is the one. We use a standard on the right side.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7

Steve, have you installed them on the RX8 yet? If so could you send me a pic?

Stephen