Thread: Fuel cell setup for endurance events

Default Fuel cell setup for endurance events

I need to get a fuel cell by August 1st for my fabricator to install in my ITB Volvo 240. With that in mind I plan on participating in some endurance events with my car and I would like some recommendations on cell size and filling setups. Any recommendations?
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Read all the supps for enduros in your area. Along the East Coast, for example, there's typically a 25-gal limit.

Also, there's debate as to whether FIA certification is required for cells used in Improved Touring:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=23937

We use an ATL with the regular NASCAR-type dry-break. The vent tube (w/ball check valve) is about 1.5" in diameter and exits right out the bottom near the RR tire. It's possible - but VERY difficult - to spill fuel while filling with that set-up. You'd be impressed though how easy it is to spill fuel out of the 11-gal dump cans while moving them around and so forth...

K

K

Where can I find these supps. and are the pretty much the same for all endurance events? (probably too much to hope for)

The only endurance events I know of are:

The Longest Day of Nelson (Nelson Ledges 24 Hour) supps not linked on race site
    12 Hours at The Point (Summit Point) http://www.wdcr-scca.org/ClubRacing/...7/Default.aspx (broken link)
    The Charge of the Headlight Brigade (13 Hours at VIR) http://www.vir13hour.com/registrar/2...2008_Supps.pdf
    The Tropical 12 Hour (Miami-Homestead race)
    ARRC 3 Hour enduro

Anymore?

I'll only run an FIA certified fuel cell. So that's a non-issue.

I was going to copy the Continental Tires series specifications, but I can't seem to find the details spelled out anywhere in the regulations. Anyone know where that info is in the regulations?

I may just give ATL and Fuel Safe a ring and have them spec it all out for me.
    Last edited by rsportvolvo; 07-02-2010 at 11:55 AM. Reason: added supps links
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

David

The Devil in the Dark 12 Hour at NJMP last weekend had the same 25 gallon limit

In the supps Special Event Rules 3

Terry

Back in the dark ages, the fuel cell for enduros couldn't be larger than 10% bigger than stock capacity. That made our B Opel about a 13 gal max. Unless you're planning to sprint the enduro, figure out how much you'll need to run the car for as long as you want your driver shifts to be, then get that size cell. I guess the reason to run the max size cell would be if you weren't going to add fuel at each driver change. Most of the supps require a minimum of 90-120 second stops if you add fuel. If you can change drivers and tires etc in less than that, then running the big cell may be worth it. Carrying the extra weight may not be. We used to do an easy 2 hours on a cell full. My wife and I ran the 12 hr at Summit doing 3 hour shifts, it worked, but the cell had to be FULL!

Starting in '96, we ran the enduros with essentially the identical set-up that Kirk pictured. Not cheap but worth it! Competitors back then did a little griping. We still have it if anyone is interested in buying it.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Yup. We have 3-hour capacity in the Golf. The best part about that is the flexibility. We don't often run all the way to 3 hours but we can take advantage of changing situations (e.g. FCYs, worker dinner delivery, contact damage).

K

I'm not sure what the fuel consumption is for the Volvo 240 yet, but my guess is about 10 gallons/hour. Does that jive with the 2.0L Golfs and the Opel?

Kirk,

What size is your fuel cell and how long can you run with a full tank? Also what is the diameter of your dry break: 1-1/2" or 2-1/4"?
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    What size is your fuel cell and how long can you run with a full tank? Also what is the diameter of your dry break: 1-1/2" or 2-1/4"?
    Kirk runs a 25-gal cell, the largest allowed by typical east coast enduro rules. That gives us a bladder-busting 3-hour endurance. The first hour is stressful, the second hour is endurable, the third hour goes by pretty damn quickly...

The dry break is the larger one, but Cam can verify that (the car is in his shop).

GA

Thanks for the info!

What's downstream of the discriminator valve on Kirk's setup?

Why did you all go with the discriminator valve vs. a dual red-head setup to vent back to the fuel can?

Also, do you think it's worth the effort to allow the filler to be on either sides base on the pit setup?
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    What's downstream of the discriminator valve on Kirk's setup?
    You mean the check valve at the top of the cell? that hose goes out to the ground below the cell, where we place our drip pan for each stop.

Why did you all go with the discriminator valve vs. a dual red-head setup to vent back to the fuel can?
    $$$$$$

Also, do you think it's worth the effort to allow the filler to be on either sides base on the pit setup?
    If you're using hand-held cans, probably not; you can just scoot over to the other side. But if you're using an overhead rig, it may be useful. Don't forget if you choose to go with an overhead rig, you'll need another crew member, adorned in fire gear, manning the Dead Man Valve... - GA

Back in the day(late '90s) we put two 12 gallon cells with female dry breaks in our IT-B car for the Summit 12 hour and the Moroso 24 hour. We could fuel in under 10 seconds. Rules stated "....fuel cells are recommended." "....fuelers must wear full nomex." We told tech that we thought it meant that we had to have more than one cell and at least two fuelers.
    Chuck

Default Dual dry break fill/vent

A few more cell setup questions before I make the purchase.

Is anyone using a dual drybreak setup mounted in the trunk? I've seen this on quite a few E46 M3's in Grand Am/Continental Challenge (see pic). This setup requires opening the trunk for filling. It should have the quickest fill time and requires not body work to install. not to mention the filler is somewhat protected vs. a fender or trunk lid mount.

David Russell
    IT Volvo 242