Thread: Air travel with race seat as luggage?

Default Air travel with race seat as luggage?

I'm going to Tampa to fit up my race seat and get my rollcage installed. To do that I need to take my Racetech seat with me. Has anyone wrapped a seat up and taken it as luggage on a commercial airline flight?
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I though about bringing a fiberglass fender back with me from CA on a trip before, then I realized it was too big to even do as checked luggage. Even if it was smaller, still cheaper to ship.

You are probably are going to have to ship UPS/Fed Ex.

This is AA policy, check your carrier:

Checked baggage which is larger than 62 in/157 cm will be charged at the rate of $150 per piece.

Baggage measuring more than 115 in/292 cm will not be accepted as checked baggage.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

A seat is a bit more durable than a fiberglass fender. Technically my golf clubs are too big according to Continental's luggage rules, but I travel with them. You can ship packages on flights if you have someone at the airport to receive it. I did this a lot on my last job getting parts to test sites quickly. The size limitation is flexible. Just curious if anyone else has gone this route.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Don't know about a seat, but I did buy an extra ticket and carried a Formula 1 gearbox onto a Delta flight. True! They told me, can it be belted into a seat, will it block anyones vision of the exits, does it smell or will it dirty the seat? yes, no, no, no!
    I like to cut my butter with a chainsaw, why do you ask?
    Jim Locke
    Preps, ITS, ITR, SM, Vintage stuff, Land speed stuff, ST, Drag race stuff. Ya know race stuff!

can you make it look like a child car seat and have a young mom check it in on the ramp?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    You can ship packages on flights if you have someone at the airport to receive it. I did this a lot on my last job getting parts to test sites quickly. The size limitation is flexible. Just curious if anyone else has gone this route.
    We've done this with medical implants. The recipient is a taxi driver who takes it directly to the OR.

You can't bring it on board and sit in it?
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    You can't bring it on board and sit in it?
    Good thought, but a 6'-5" guy sitting in a RaceTech RT4009WHRV on a Boeing 737 seat might not pass for a child seat.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Buy it its own ticket. Our ship it UPS/FedEx.
    My gear bag has sat in the seat next to me with its own ticket in the past. Do Not ever check your gear bag!

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."