Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wheels for IT?

Default Best wheels for IT?

I need to purchase a couple sets of new wheels for my car but nowadays there are SO MANY choices I'm totally confused.

I run 225/45/15s so I need 15x7 rims. I would like to find eight (8) wheels that are reasonably light and cost-effective (if possible).

What are the best and/or most popular choices in IT? I believe my current ACR wheels are about 16.5 lbs so I would like to go with 10-14 lb range wheels. Any opinions on how much difference the few less lbs makes?

Just looking for general opinion and experiences form others as to what have ended being the best choices.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Enkei RFP01, 9 pounds and ~$220 each. Done.

If that's too pricey, then Kosei K1-TS, 12.5 pounds at $135 each.

If that's still too expensive, maybe try Kosei K1, 13.5# @ $115 each.

If that's still too expensive, you should either stick with cheap stock wheel or consider another sport...

Spinwerkes. They'll make anything you want tor around $220/wheel. Mine, in the 14x6 weigh about 10-11#. I think the 15x7 weigh about 12-13#. Customize the offset to exactly dial out any scrub (or allows wider tires in the back), and set the hub center to get perfect hub centering wheels.
    Last edited by ScotMac; 06-21-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: LOL...wider tires in the back! Might be a bigger concern for me than you! ;)
    Scot Mac - Mac Motorsports
    88 ITB Fiero #41, SFR, NWR, ICSCC

@GregAmy - Any idea where I can buy the wheels you suggested? I checked tire Rack and they do not show those models as being available for my car (15x7 wheel in 5x100 bolt pattern).
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Exactly why i used spinwerkes. 5x100 is difficult. Much more so for 14 x 6 (esp the *6* part).

Actually, i thought Greg was right. At least the last time i complained about the wonderful 6" restriction on ITB, those wheels were supposedly avail in 5x100. But you are right, tirerack does NOT show them for your OR my vehicle. Maybe an offset problem? I believe the neon needs high offset, like my fiero. The best they show is Motegi SP-10 at 14lbs.
    Last edited by ScotMac; 06-21-2010 at 01:16 AM.

18racing.com, Rota Slipstreams. 5x100, 15x7, 35mm backspacing. I wasn't even offended by the price.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

@streetwise - Thanks a lot! That was exactly what I was looking for. And you're right, the pricing is very decent. I think I'll be ordering me a set (or two)

@ScotMac - Yeah, I almost order a set of Motegi SP-10s from Tire Rack but then I decided to post this first as I don't know the Motegi brand and wanted to get some feedback from guys who've been in the game longer than I.
    Last edited by worthyking; 06-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/co...ion_wheels.htm

Call their US location below who can get you with a distributor. Light, reasonable, and they can do the size you want with some offset choices. Downside is you may have to wait 2 months or so for a boat to bring them over from England.

Team Dynamics
    Street: 1885 S Vineyard Ave, #4
    Ontario, ca 91761-7760
    Phone: (909) 947-0114
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

I am using Team Dynamics as well....9 of them to be exact. ~13~14lbs, 15*7...I got these cuz they are made for racing, and is what most of the spec miata's run.
    aaron...
    SCCA-LOL board member
    '95 VW GTI VR6 Auto-x/lapping/NASA Time Trials E
    '95 Neon ACR ex-Celeberty Challenge, ex SSC, NASA Performance Touring E/SCCA ITA
    http://junglemotorsports.blogspot.com

Thanks all for your feedback so far, however I'm not willing to wait 2-3 months for a set of wheels. Team Dynamics apparently needs that long to get me a set and it also appears that the Rota Slipstreams are all out of stock in the US right now in 15x7 (argh!). 18Racing told me 3 months to special order two sets of Slipstreams.

I need 6 wheels stat, preferably 8. Any other suggestions?

I'm almost tempted to just order the darn Motegi SP10s from TireRack but at 14lbs they're not the most exciting choice. Was really hoping to get into the 10-12lb range.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Did you try spinwerkes?

All the wheels that Greg Amy listed are not available. The Rota slips are 14 pounds
    in the 5x100/15x7. Thats what i've been using lately.

k

@ScotMac - No, didn't try spinwerkes yet due to the price. Not willing to spend over $200 per wheel right now as I need 8 of them.

@Kolin - I haven't been able to find any Rota Slips in stock anywhere. Any ideas?
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

I also bought them from 18racing .com. Sorry do not know of other sources. If I was not going to runoffs you could borrow some of mine and just return them to me at sebring nat 2011. But I need all of them. Long week there.

I'd just do the Motegi at tirerack as they weigh the same as the Rota's

k

Check some of the junk yards in the area. I got a set of BBS light-weights (not sure of the exact weight) at Greenleafs a couple of years ago for $100 per SET (used). With the tuner guys going to 20" plus, you should find some to get you started.

Also, are you going to the July school at Sebring??????
    Mark
    Montero Racing (CFR)
    Plymouth Neon ITA (For Sale)
    Dodge Daytona ITB (sold)

Hmm, interesting idea. I was at Cophers a couple weekends ago and thought about that but didn't think I'd find anything worthwhile there.

Yes, I'll be at Sebring July 17/18th. I have a regional license but going for the cheap seat time
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Have you checked with Cory at modern performance on the rotas? Also. check neons.org for wheels.

Kolin - what class are you in for the runoffs?
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Paul running in STU.

Yeah, they don't sell wheels anymore.

Question for all: I've been looking for 15x7 rims as I figured I need 7" width to accommodate 225/45/15 tires but today I saw a set of SSRs for sale in 15x6 with 225/45/15 A6s mounted. Is it advisable to run 225s on a 6" rim?
    Last edited by worthyking; 06-23-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    #88 ITA Integra
    CFR SEDiv

Advisable, NO...doable, yes. I run them in a 225/50/14, which is bit better, since more sidewall, and thus not as sharp an angle. But you are compromising sidewall strength, and why? You can run 7" in ITA.