Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best wheels for IT?

Quote Originally Posted by worthyking View Post
    Yeah, they don't sell wheels anymore.

Question for all: I've been looking for 15x7 rims as I figured I need 7" width to accommodate 225/45/15 tires but today I saw a set of SSRs for sale in 15x6 with 225/45/15 A6s mounted. Is it advisable to run 225s on a 6" rim?
    We do it all the time on the Golf. I think they'd be happier on a 7 but it's not that big a deal.

K

EDIT - I'm talking about 50s too, rather than 45s.

Howdy,

Sorry, back from the dead.

Has anyone run the Motegi SP-10, or can confirm the weight? Looks like Summit Racing sells them, and they're local to me and I can get them at a good price.

I'm wondering about weight and durability both. I assume I'll need a spacer as well? The offset I'm seeing is 42mm.

Any other options in the sub $200/ea (and ideally closer to $100) price range that are more like 12 lbs or lighter?

Thanks!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by marka View Post
    Howdy,

Sorry, back from the dead.

Has anyone run the Motegi SP-10, or can confirm the weight? Looks like Summit Racing sells them, and they're local to me and I can get them at a good price.

I'm wondering about weight and durability both. I assume I'll need a spacer as well? The offset I'm seeing is 42mm.

Any other options in the sub $200/ea (and ideally closer to $100) price range that are more like 12 lbs or lighter?

Thanks!

Mark
    As far as lightweight 15x7 5x100 wheels go, in a word, no. The best weight/price ratio wheels are (were?) the Rota Slipstreams. I've heard plenty of horror stories, but I have 2 sets and have run them for 2 seasons without issues. Motegi Traklites were prob the lightest, but are unobtaniuim these days, they weren't cheap when they were available. If you want light, 15x7 5x100, your best ( I think?) option is Spinwerks but there not cheap. If you want cheap, you're looking at at least 16 lbs, prob 18 lbs.

I *tried* to warn you about the ITA Neons.....
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

Howdy,

Quote Originally Posted by PSherm View Post
    I *tried* to warn you about the ITA Neons.....
    You did. So did others. What can I say, I'm a stubborn SOB.

:-)

If I have to keep running these ridiculously heavy Borbet wheels (19 lbs! My 18x10.5 factory z06 rear wheels weigh less!) due to budget I will, but that doesn't mean I can't be on the lookout... :-)

I've nearly bought two sets of the Rota Slipstreams already, but keep wussing out at the thought of telling my wife I'm buying even more wheels. :-) Has anyone here actually weighed one of the 15x7 5x100 Slipstreams on a decent scale and can confirm the weights?

Somewhat related... Is 35mm offset the proper offset for the front of a Neon with 225's, or are people using spacers? If I need spacers anyway, I might as well go with the Motegi wheels.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by marka View Post
    Howdy,

You did. So did others. What can I say, I'm a stubborn SOB.

:-)

Somewhat related... Is 35mm offset the proper offset for the front of a Neon with 225's, or are people using spacers? If I need spacers anyway, I might as well go with the Motegi wheels.

Mark
    If your spring perch is above the tire, you might not need the spacer with the 35mm offset. If your perch is below the top of the tire (like mine), you will need a LOT of spacer, unless you have a very low offset. The Slipstreams are 35mm offset and I'm running a 17mm spacer (had them made hubcentric). Without it, I can't get enough camber without the tire rubbing on the spring (currently -2.5 to -2.75 deg).
    Was tempted to get some Spinwerks and get the offset to 10-15mm, but just not in the budget anymore. Neither is a fresh motor...
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176