Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lime Rock June 19th Race

That was a fun weekend.
    Thanks for you help in the school Dick.
    Congratulations Jeff on the win. I was hearing your name over the PA all weekend.

Maybe next time I'll be able to keep it pointed in the right direction. Moved up through the field before my embarrassing decent into second to last.

My thanks and congratulations to NER for a great event.

My ITB congrats also to the three B's, Benazic, Blethen & Blethen for their fine drives to the podium.

My ire to the ITR/S drivers who disrupted the wagontrain of ITB cars behind the lead three. You time a pass in an area that will not screw up our race.

Slip Sliding Away:

In group 3 there was some real fun on Friday. Just before group 3 went out, someone in the school put a good stream of oil on-line from the entry to the uphill to pit in. I had the pleasure of following Rick B chasing Paul Curran and trying to get around him. Thankfully he did get under Paul at the turn-in for the downhill. I say thankfully because Paul immediatly blew up and spun in the lake of oil from his newly ventilated block. That left me with just the inside line that had the oil from the school group. If Paul had been on line, they couldn't have thrown a red flag fast enough to keep everyone from sliding off. I hear that about three folks managed to join him in the runoff area without damage.

In the AM qualifying race Steve Miller also blew up in front of me.

In the race I was behind Michael Reece who spun exiting the downhill when a left rear tire gave out. His tire was being shredded by the fender due to multiple contacts on the start.

Is it a curse? Remember this; if I am following you, you may be better off dropping behind.

DZ

Dave brought up a good point regarding the ITS-ITB battles. But he didn't address something I've seen numerous times. So I will be, and it might lose me a little respect. (Assuming I have an anyway!) If you're an ITS guy, and you're racing with an ITB guy, stop and think for a second. You're a loooong way from where you should be. In time and position. And the ITB guy you're dicing with is likely a top ITB car. So, to boil it down further, you aren't in a race, and he is*.

To wit: I was standing on the hill, and watched a long time ITS competitor chop down (not just once) on an ITB guy in the right hander leading onto no name a number of times. The ITB guy was in 2nd or 3rd, and had his lap destroyed by having to hit the brakes when that is a flat corner for him. Never mind that he was going to give up the outside of the track. The ITS guy was in like 6th obviously off the pace. Seriously? Your ITS car has about 160+ hp at the wheels, and lap after lap, you're in a tussle by the esses. Do everyone a favor, and either throw down some real fast laps and clear those guys, or assuming that's not possible, loaf it down the straight to let those guys stay in front and race for their trophy.

We're all guilty of getting caught up in the moment....we've all done it..heck, if somebody in a class above me has dicked with me in the past, I'll race him very hard even though he's not in my class...., but, if you're in a higher class, far from the trophies, running times that are two classes below you, and you are screwing the leaders in a lower class, that is, in my mind very questionable behavior.

* Ignore all of this if the racing is way back in the pack, far from the trophies, where fun can be had racing anybody...I'm talking about racing that effects trophy positions.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 06-21-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'll keep that in mind Jake. I was going back an forth with a bunch of ITB guys in the first and second sessions. I may have screwed them up.
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    I'll keep that in mind Jake. I was going back an forth with a bunch of ITB guys in the first and second sessions. I may have screwed them up.
    Well Drew, I don't recall it being you....and honestly, IIRC, you don't have 5 or 10 years of racing in ITS under your belt. And I am talking about the races I watched, specifically. (And I've seen the same people doing it in NH, and others in Ohio, both tracks that tend to not let the big dogs fly as much as at other tracks, like the Glen)

In qualifying, it's a different story. Some guys just want space to run a clean lap. So they will be smart and just cruise down the straight until they find a gap. That's what I do. Others have buddys that turn similar lap times, so they'll pair up. The draft plays a role, especially in similar cars of low HP. generally, you would think that cars of different classes will make their laps in different ways, so they should stay away from each other in practice and qualifying, ignoring prep issues that make a faster class car slower than it should be.

But, (And I honestly have NO idea if Drew did, or didn't screw anyone up...), a great thing to do is go to impound after a race. Even if they say 1-3 are required, it's cool.... if there's room (which there is now that impound is where it is)...to go anyway. Go talk to those ITB guys and ask them what they think...meeting people and chatting face to face is a great way to understand the situation better. Besides, impound is a fun place to be after a race...they even give you water. (Except impound in Atlanta at the ARRC, which I find mildly stressful, LOL)
    Last edited by lateapex911; 06-21-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

[QUOTE=

Is it a curse? Remember this; if I am following you, you may be better off dropping behind.

DZ[/QUOTE]

LMAO...... Nice try Dave. I had a great battle once I caught up to Mr. "All 4 wheels off at the top left of the up hill" Raymond B. I tried the outside of BB, sticking my nose in a little in T3 repeatedly getting the door closed. Finally Raymond was slowed in the down hill by traffic,and I easily got by him. The next lap, Crazy Ray had a run on me in the down hill and got by me. I may not remember all the slicing and dicing that took place but, I can certianly remember how big the smile was on my face tring to find away around Raymond's Owdie. Congrats to Rick, Stephen and Raymond.
    Thanks to all of the workers whom make all of this possible.
    Regarding the slow fast cars. Both the qualifying race and the race were dramaticaly altered by thier presence. Not really sure what else could have prevented this, other than a split start, qualifying in the top 2 and or the faster cars essentialy slowing down substantialy and letting the faster slow cars through cleanly. Getting any racer to slow in the straights is a tall order , especialy in the first 2 laps. Which of course is the most importiant for us in the pea shooters. LOL Any hue, I had a great weekend and see you all soon. Cheers.........
    Ken H

Before the weekend or even this month I knew it would be a problem. I posted here about a split start and was told to contact the chief steward. I did and he was open to it... problem is they need two pace cars... track space... we get a green no matter what if the first group does... and the reason I didn't pursue it is you also need something signed from EVERY driver without exception. Wasn't worth it at the time but I did think of it while side by side in the left hander in second place watching #1 get farther away. Honestly in those situations its easy to get frustrated but no hard feelings since I knew it would happen going into the event. Its what to expect as a front runner in a slower class. ITS has been like this for the last 11 years I have been in ITB.

I would also add that If you keep getting bumped in the same turns lap after lap remember that is a racecars horn. I only know that because I was walking through a NASCAR garage once and the girl with me asked where the horn was.... that's when rusty spoke up and brought her to the front of the car. With his accent he showed us the scratches on the front bumper... I'll never forgot that day!

Stephen

PS: the #1 reason I will never run an ITB car in TEAMDI PRO-IT is because they dont want to split out the miatas as a split start.
    Last edited by StephenB; 06-21-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Well Drew, I don't recall it being you....and honestly, IIRC, you don't have 5 or 10 years of racing in ITS under your belt.

But, (And I honestly have NO idea if Drew did, or didn't screw anyone up...),

No, I don't have years of experience. That was my first weekend with the new car and my second race to complete my permit. I think I did slow down the driver in the black/orange golf/gti/whatever it was. He was quick in the turns but I was quick in the straight. I just ran my race but I wasn't going to pull over. I probably should have though. He was faster than me.

I'll go to impound next time, just incase someone wants to give me some 'constructive criticism.'

I'm still learnin.

Hey, did anyone catch my first spin coming out of big bend. Oops!

Race video
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7692448/20459166

quality sucks and I cut out a few boring laps to keep it short.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Cool - you got the scene where I ran wide out of Big Bend and kicked up that huge cloud of dirt before pulling the car back on the black...
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata

Well, I guess that I will join Jake in the "this may lead to a loss of respect thang", but I am one of those ITB cars that got held up over and over again by an ITS car. Over and over again. Same car. Lap after lap. All over him from Big Bend through the Esses and then he pulls away on the No Name, only to almost wreck him and me on the entrance to the Uphill, etc etc.

Now I KNOW that we all have the "red mist thang" and all that, but MAN! We are in different classes! PLEASE, if there is NO OTHER car in your class anywhere in site, let us go!!!!

Anyway, frustrating doesn't even come close to describing it.

I also know that it's my responsibility to find that car and driver at the next event and have a clear communication with him as to the impact that this kind of driving has on others around him. He probably doesn't even know. I hope.
    Tim Mullen
    # 86 ITB
    2006 NERRC Champion - ITB
    2006 NARRC Champion - ITB

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Noeske View Post
    Cool - you got the scene where I ran wide out of Big Bend and kicked up that huge cloud of dirt before pulling the car back on the black...

Yeah, it was kinda like the "Days of Thunder" scene. Do I keep my foot in it and hope he's not side ways iin the track or lift and let Shane by........... Fortunately I guessed right. And where are my pictures!!!

Regarding the faster cars holding up the slower cars. Yup it sucks. It happens to the ITA cars at Pocono with the ITR and ITS cars. It happens with lapped cars as well and Shane and I both felt it was a determining factor in the out come of our race too.

Go talk to the person.

On the flip side.......... and I may lose respect for saying this but handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    ...handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.
    Ding, ding, ding.

I'd add that managing passing and being passed are both an art and a tactical advantage.

GA

but handling traffic is part of being a good racer. It's a skill.
    Handling traffic is a skill and one of the fun aspects of racing to me. However there should also be some respect shown between racers and situational awareness. A couple of years ago there was an ITS car inbetween myself and the 2nd place ITB car. I knew how things were going to play out and made sure to get in front of him. Several laps went by and I just enjoyed having the ITS car behind me preventing pressure from the B car. IMO, after a couple of laps of not being able to pass me the ITS car should have allowed the B car through to fight for the lead. The funny thing was after the race I was approached by the ITS driver who asked why I didn't let him by. Well, duh.

In situations like that where it's a battle for the lead, the ITS car needs to recognize that at some point the B car most likely will take a more risky pass knowing that contact might be a result. That's a big difference than managing slower lap traffic.

A little further back in the pack, lets race regardless of which class you're in.
    Last edited by gran racing; 06-22-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Pictures of the bear around yet?

Congrats Jeff!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Pictures of the bear around yet?
    They're coming, they just got stuck behind a ITS car
    Jerry
    NER South

I came out to the school on Friday to knock some rust off the driver and shake down my new-to-me SM. Had a lot of fun my first time at LRP, and want to thank Ken Burt for SM advice to the noob and showing me the line in the track walk Friday morning, Workers for being there and allowing us to play, Peter for letting me run the school on a NASA comp license, Nick and Randy at Flatout for the awesome car setup. Met some great folks and had an awesome time on Friday, can't wait to get out there and mix it up again.

We had the bear on the track during grid on Friday. Heard about the turtles at the school Thursday night. Didn't realize we're racing in a zoo

Regards,
    AJ Goldsmith
    SM #75

Wait till you meet more of the drivers!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Wait till you meet more of the drivers!
    Astrophysathingy / goaheadtakethewheel.com
    99 Civic SI #9 WDCR ITS/STL
    93 Corolla / 97 PDX Miata