Thread: 2nd gen Oil cooler?

Default 2nd gen Oil cooler?

What is the best or most effective oil cooler available for a 2nd gen that is not running a splitter?

Thanks
    Greg

I think that most folks (including me) run a second stock cooler. iirc, you need to set them up to be in serial, because if you run them parallel the oil pressure is too low.

I'm sure there are other solutions, but this works great for me.
    -----------
    '89 RX-7 ITS

Either run 2 stock coolers in parallel (T to both inputs--T to both outlets) or give Mike at ISC a call at 863-324-4539. He has a nice large single cooler that does very well and has a pair of AN fittings. Need to duct Half the front grill opening to the rad, and the lower half to the cooler to make it work. My suggestion is to add a splitter before you have to buy another motor. It is not that hard to do and cheap. We have run them with an aluminum scoop under the front bumper to pull more air to the cooler. Most of the cooling in a rotary is oil. If you need pictures drop me a PM and I will try to help you out.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

steve,
    The cooler that is on the car is a big flatout cooler. Dave at KDR put it up infront of the rad and put a stock belly pan on....there is ducting to for the rad but not seperate for the cooler. I believe what is happening is that air is hitting the cooler and simply going over it instead of passing through it. I wonder 2 things...1) is the cooler working right or has it been through too many blown motors(oil flow is good coming out though) 2)is the belly pan actually hurting the oil cooler since the air has no where to go except to the rad after hitting the cooler.

Has anyone tried on of the oil coolers that JEGS sells with a fan on it....using it to supplement the current setup or just using it as a stand alone.... I'msure you guys have triied this.... I have time to do one thing....work on the car or race it. I just bought a new rad from racing beat(racing koyo). I repaired the one on the car twice and Dave at KDR epoxied it too... after my first session out coolant was spraying....I patched it pretty good for the race but still new small leaks were appearing. If I can just get to the point I don't have to look at the guages and just drive the car maybe I could win a race. I only had 4 sessions (that included the 2 races) and I got 2nd both days...it was a weak feild and we were not doing great times, but I got faster each time out and the leader was a foot infront of me . Thanks for your time.

Greg

Simple answer Greg is no, what you have will not work. You are simply taking the heat out of the oil and transferring it to your water system. Air from the cooler needs to be ducted to exit below the radiator, not through it. Put a piece of aluminum from the center of the grill opening to the top of the cooler and force half the air through the cooler. Run the sheet over the cooler and down to the bottom of the Rad. Cut the back of the undertray to let the air exit. With your big cooler and proper ducting you should be OK. Never ever again run with a questionable radiator unless you like writing big checks. Mazda motors do not forgive overheating, not even once. I will have an EP car out tomorrow that I can take some pictures of. Will also take pictures of the dual cooler setup requested in a PM. In July southern heat I never go over 200 water, 210 oil.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

steve,
    OK.... I went down to the garage where my car is at ......the oil cooler is infront and front the cooler back to the bottom of the rad there is a duct, but there is no opening in the stock undertray.....i think that is the probelm now....I am going to cut a hole in the bottom of the tray behind the oil cooler so air will escape there.... I wonder if the duct should extend forward of the oil cooler too???....to not allowair to just go over the oil cooler....maybe I'm over thinking this.......
    Thanks Steve...my email is [email protected]

thanks for your patience,

Greg

so what are everyone's resulting oil temps on a hot day? How high are you comfortable going? I peaked at 220F last year...I am running faster now and my oil temps are as high as 240F on a 90+ degree day. Should I worry, or just shut up and drive?

Kevin Bailey
    WDCR IT7
    Kevin Bailey
    ITA/IT7 WDCR

240* consistently is too hot. I'd like to keep it at 220* or less. What are you water temps?
    Chris Ludwig
    GL Lakes Div
    www.ludwigmotorsports.com