Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for replacement panels

Default Source for replacement panels

Recently went off track and hit the wall at Topeka and am having a hard time finding replacement panels. The local U-Pull-It doesn't have any usable cars available and I'd hate to find out how much the body shop would charge me for the panels. I've gotten one estimate already for $1500 to get it on the frame machine and for them to graft in panels I supply them. I would do the paint to keep costs down.
    So does anybody have a link for replacement panels. So far all I've been able to see is for aircooled VW's.
    Thanks.

Last edited by Ralf; 06-13-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

I have all of this stuff.
    Usually you pull the bumper back,pound out the quarter, bondo and go race.
    Did you break the side glass?
    Send me two picks of the side of the car. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

The car will need to get on a frame machine to pull out the corner and also pull the front "frame arms" back straight. They appear to have been moved about 3 inches.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Make up a list of what you need. I have at least one complete car. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

not sure if he has or can get but try force 5 automotive in NH he's always helped us out. My question to you is where did you get your lower spoiler in the front i would like one

Got it a long time ago when parts like that were readily available. I've owned this car since '88.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Make up a list of what you need. I have at least one complete car. MM
    Problem is you are in Fl and I'm in NE. Shipping might be a pain. I'll take a closer look and let you know. I already have a hatch, just won a tail light on e-bay and have ordered new bumper reinforcements from VW since they were only $29. A new grill was only $10 from VW too.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

I have a rad suport & headlight bucket..... Man I have thrown several of those cars away.....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Used parts is all you will find. There is one german source that has quarters and what not. I have a whole car worth of body parts also, but it is in Chicago. Take a stroll through the Mk2 classifieds over at vortex and you will find a good number of cars being parted on the east coast.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

I've been looking all over VWVortex and Craigslist for doner cars that are somewhat local to me. Found a couple of 4 doors that would work in Kansas City, just haven't gotten any responses from the sellers.
    Lael, radiator support can be bent back and the headlight is just removed since the adjusters broke. Thanks though. Keep an eye out for a doner.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

you check craigslist yet? probablly get a whole car for less than 1g.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Yes Chris, see post above yours.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Folks--If you are looking for NOS sheet metal, go register yourself on Parts Voice.com then get a Mitchell's or VW microfusche/parts book and search with the OEM PART NUMBERS.

Likely those parts (new but dusty) are all in some dealer's old inventory.

Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

That would work but I'm in Nebraska and shipping would be another $600+.
    A friend of mine offered me a 91 Jetta GLI that he has in North Dekota but I was hoping to fix this car over putting in a new cage in a different car. Looked at the specs and that Jetta would put me in ITA at 2475 pounds. At least in ITB I could have a chance of winning. (Not likely since Albin and a fast Volvo is in my region.)
    Last edited by Ralf; 06-15-2010 at 12:34 AM.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

That is really a light hit to consider re shelling. Most of the faster cars have been on the roof at least once, and wacked down the sides a bit.
    If you get a chance to build a Jett, they are better for a few reasons tho.
    Looks like you really just need the tail light surround and a front fender. MM

And to be clear, swap the motor, trans and front brakes and that Jet is an ITB car.

I have a slick top one sitting in the garage that I will throw my GTI running gear onto at some point to see if it is faster at the long tracks....
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Ralf,
    Chris would tell you that your damage is mostly cosmetic.

He has been buying everything he finds in the junk yards (U-Pull-It), and the pickings have been pretty slim lately. Rather depressing.

If you can't find what you need, give him a call. He might have it in the attic of my garage, and we are a lot closer than FL.
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Yes, I agree that its a light hit and wouldn't think a body shop would charge me over $1000 to fix it but one gave me a quote for $1500 just for labor and another without really looking at it said it would be close to $2000. I will continue to look around for better estimates but the main issue is finding body panels. The reason I brought up re-shelling is because it would be cheaper then to fix this one. I would rather fix this one though since I've owned it since '88 and I know its history.
    One thing that I know will need professional help is straightening on a frame machine. Once I get the sheetmetal, I will probably tackle that myself. I already told them I would do the paint.
    Next race isn't until Aug 14th, so I have time.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Cash money and a six-pack will get you a more frugal pull at the frame shop.