Thread: B13 SE-R brake pads

Default B13 SE-R brake pads

I'm currently running Carbotech XP10 pads on the front of my ITA sentra. They work well, but are pricey and only seem to last 8 races. I was just checking in to see if this was about the wear others were getting who have used these pads and whether or not a high performance street pad like EBC redstuff would be usable. (for instance if we ducted air to the brakes) I've got Goodridge braided lines on the car if that is a consideration.

Thanks for the input!

P.S. Greg A- thanks for hooking me up with Kessler for those engine building tips. The SR20 is still pulling strong on the miatas here after 4 races with no sign of slowing!
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

I've run Porterfield R-4 pads with success and currently have Raybestos ST43 on the car. The R-4s were a lot more rotor friendly but didn't last long. The 43s last about 12 races but I go through a set of front rotors every weekend even with cooling ducts. I'll probably go back to the R-4s after this set wears out.
    ITA 78 Sentra SE-R

As it is right now, I can get rotors for pretty cheap and I would rather go with long pad life. Any suggestions there?
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

I also have used the r4 and the st43. I prefer the r4 right now they seem to have a better initial bite. Not knocking the st43 at all. I find them easy to have feel for example while trail braking. I usually get my pads from www.porterfield-brakes.com .
    As far as rotors, do you get them locally or online. I'm currently trying to find a better source.
    I have not tried the carbotechs but would love to.
    #12 ITA sentra se-r
    S.Florida region

I would highly recommend the Carbotechs to anyone who hasn't tried them yet. The XP10 compound I'm running right now has never given any indication of fade even when I had the rubber lines and old brake fluid. They're actually cheaper than what the guy at Porterfield quoted me on the R4 pads as well. The Carbotechs are right at $160 w/shipping if you call them up and let them know you're an SCCA guy. They even work great right until you hit backing plate, I found.

As far as the rotors are concerned, I just get the cheap Chinese whatever rotors for around $10 a rotor here in town, but I have a pseudo-sponsorship deal worked out with the mechanic down the street. What kind and how expensive are the rotors you guys are using? I haven't had any warping issues with the cheap ones yet. Is that all you look for in a rotor?
    Brett Westcott
    #58 ITA Sentra SE-R

Quote Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
    Is that all you look for in a rotor?
    Price. I used inexpensive Brembos on the NX2000 (~$20 each?) and replaced them every couple races or so. The pad I ultimately preferred was the Hawk DTC-60, but I had to have those specially cut from larger pads (and, as you know, it's not the same pad as yours).

I think Joe DiMinno uses Carbotech.

GA

As far as the rotors are concerned, I just get the cheap Chinese whatever rotors for around $10 a rotor here in town, but I have a pseudo-sponsorship deal worked out with the mechanic down the street. What kind and how expensive are the rotors you guys are using? I haven't had any warping issues with the cheap ones yet. Is that all you look for in a rotor?[/QUOTE]

yup.
    thanks for the info.
    #12 ITA sentra se-r
    S.Florida region

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Price. I used inexpensive Brembos on the NX2000 (~$20 each?) and replaced them every couple races or so. The pad I ultimately preferred was the Hawk DTC-60, but I had to have those specially cut from larger pads (and, as you know, it's not the same pad as yours).

I think Joe DiMinno uses Carbotech.

GA

I believe Crazy Joe is running the XP12's, I am also half way thru a set. No complaints, paid about $170. I may try the ST43 next, but they're not cheap, I believe I was quoted around $210 last year.
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

I switched from the Porterfield to the Carbotech years ago and have been happy with them. The softer Portefields sometimes did not wear evenly and 1 or 2 pads would be low before the others. When I ran the SE-R in showroom stock (harder on brakes due to the stock suspension) , the Portefield backing plates would even warp. I did try having the Hawk material made up for the application, but the modulation felt better with the Carbotechs

I think 8 races from the Carbotech sounds like good wear.
    Tom Broring
    Wash DC Region
    ITA Nissan Sentra SER
    HP Triumph Spitfire
    HP VW Rabbit