Thread: 260/280 Crank - Need one

Question 260/280 Crank - Need one

I think my local source for a 260/280 crank fell through. I'll be checking on it one last time today but not sure there is one to be had locally.

Anyone got a 260/280 crank sitting around doing nothing?

Default crank...

i have one.....smoothered in grease standing in the middle of the garage, in the way
    ....what,s it worth$?
    828-289-0098
    david spillman
    Last edited by dspillrat; 06-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
    30 year old ITS car

Hey David,

The local buys are still trying and may come up with one for $75. I had two of them I got rid of some years ago. Always doing stuff like that, but, a man can't keep every spare part around else he'll have no room to work!

R

Default crank........

HI Ron,
    Mine looks bone stock, but lightened down to 20 pounds...all in the name of balancing. Knife edged, to trim fat off your times, again in the name of balancing ...Naw.. jus teasing... Pretty sure its a stock 260/280 outta a parts car I once owned...

Not sure how to ship...but its yours for $75 if you can get it there...

What again took out your crank in your opinion?

David
    30 year old ITS car

Quote Originally Posted by dspillrat View Post
    What again took out your crank in your opinion?

David
    I'd been observing oil pressure drops in corners since I've been monitoring the gauges with a camera (likely a few months before that too). Starved the bearings enough over time and destroyed the bearings, #6 was the first one to really get destroyed and blue the crank, although all of them had damage from groves to holes. Everything got hot, stressed, and was allowed to wobble around and the strain was too much for it to bear. I've got a feeling that #6 rod saw a hard life too, which means the bore might have seen a hard life.............

Why oil pressure drops - I think the oil pan (Arizona Z Pan, my NIMSO pan doesn't do any of this stuff) had a stuck baffle and a pickup tube that was too far off the bottom of the pan.

I don't think it is the crank damper. The spare motor has one of those and 31 hours, still runs great. However, that motor has a NIMSO pan and never saw oil pressure issues. Steve Ps is fine with the dampener too with probably as many hours on his motor as my spare (just guessing from his race schedule).

Ron, we have about 10-15 hours on our engine with no issues so far. We're running a Sam Neave special for the oil pan and have zero op issues.