Local Artist Makes Hand Crafted Trophies for USERA Midnight Moonshine Run

Local stoneware artist Shirley Cadmus (Milton, NC) has been selected to provide unique hand thrown trophies for the USERA 6 Hour Midnight Moonshine Run being hosted by USERA and Summit Point on July 10, 2010. These one-of-a-kind trophies will be presented to the top three overall winners, with smaller versions given to the top three in each of 15 different classes eligible to compete in the event.

Cadmus began painting at the age of 12. She attended James Madison University in pursuit of her degree in art where one of the required courses was a pottery class. Cadmus instantly fell in love with the medium. Originally from New Jersey, Cadmus relocated to Danville in the 70s where she taught art for the Danville school system. Now retired from teaching, Cadmus has built her own custom kilns, including a specialized Raku kiln, and she devotes her time to creating unique hand thrown stoneware and Raku pit-fired pieces. Cadmus is also co-owner of the Milton Studio Art Gallery which is located in historic Milton, NC across from the post office.

"The 6 hour race at Summit Point was scheduled to start at 6pm and finish at midnight, so we hit upon the idea of leveraging the region's history of moonshine runners and named the event the 'Midnight Moonshine Run'. We wanted moonshine jugs for our triophies," said Stacey Grammer, VP of Operations for USERA. "When I found Shirley's studio in Milton, I knew I had found the right artist to turn our vision into reality."

Large hand thrown jugs will be presented to the top three overall winners. 45 smaller "juglets" will be awarded to the top three finishers in 15 classes that are eligible for the event.

Milton Studio Art Gallery is open Saturdays from 11am-5pm, Sundays from 1pm-5pm, and by appointment during the week by calling Cadmus at 336-234-9429. Her web site is www.shirleycadmus.com.

Full release with additional pictures of the trophies can be found here: www.usenduro.com/news063.shtml