Thread: FREE Guide to Racing & Much More

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Still working to clean-up the second image resolution but here's a some great, quick ways people and/or regions can help:

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/scca.php
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine's latest issue (August 2010) has a nice article about the mentor program. Hopefully that'll help make more people aware it's out there and available.

“Go Ahead, Help Newbies

Dave Gran, author of the how-to-go-racing guidebook “Go Ahead – Take the Wheel,” has been busy reworking his website, goaheadtakethewheel.com . It now includes a vast resource guide that details everything a budding enthusiast needs to know about getting started in autocross, high-performance driving events, time trials, club racing and volunteer positions.

The expanded site contains new pictures, videos, and how-to articles. It details current costs for participating in various forms of racing, and it even has a section covering maintenance and repairs as they relate to motorsports.

Gran is also starting a mentor program. ‘The few regions that have a program, it’s often a matter of a couple experienced racers wearing an ‘Ask Me’ badge,’ he explains. ‘This is a great step. However, people would benefit much more from being able to speak with experienced racers much earlier into the process.’

The program’s goal is to provide some additional assistance for those looking to get involved, and it’s not limited to driving techniques. The result should be a support network that can answer any possible questions."
    Dave Gran

Hoping to put some of the books I have in inventory to good use by starting a "Books for Soldiers" campaign. This idea was inspired by a few soldiers, one in particular, that contacted me after including a few extra copies in their order. Here they are putting their lives on the line to defend our country and giving thanks for including a couple extra books? If this simple thing can help give them a distraction even for a little bit while overseas, then it'll be worth it. Information about the idea can be seen here:
    http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/b...-for-soldiers/

If you think this is a good idea, I'd really appreciate you clicking on the share buttons related to the article for Facebook, Twitter, and/or Digg. Or of course any other way you can help spread the word. Hopefully it'll also be another way to get mroe people involved with SCCA.
    Dave Gran

I’d love to get your feedback about the mentor program as it progresses. What’s working, what improvements could be made, and other ideas you may have to make it better. I believe most of you are familiar with this, but if not information can be found here: mentor program

Student questionnaire: I want to keep this fairly short and not overwhelm students with too many questions. Really we just want enough information to effectively pair the student with a mentor, and be able to start the conversation. That said, are there any pieces of information that should be added?

Student and mentor introductions: right now I’m sending an e-mail out to the mentor and student, asking that the mentor get in contact with the student, and include the information gathered from the student from the questionnaire. I also state that if either person is having trouble contacting the other to let me know. It is important to keep my part of the pairing as efficient as possible. (I’ve already fallen behind with this and have a bunch of students not paired up yet. Uggg!)

I’ve been copied in on some of the mentor introduction e-mails sent to students. Some are great, others could use help. I want to put together a short mentor guide. For now, it would just have some basic stuff to make it easier and more effective. My thought is to include suggestions on what to include in the first contact; possibly a sample. Any other recommendations or better yet, samples from other mentor programs that you’ve found effective?

Program Update: interest in the program from students is growing especially during the past month as people are becoming aware of it. The SCCA national office and couple of regions have gotten behind the mentor program and website, which has been a big help. As of 9/9, we’re up to 52 students and 94 mentors, with several student applications being submitted each week.

Thanks again for your help and overall support!
    (This is a cross post from the Sandbox but know several here don't dare to venture over there. lol)
    Dave Gran

I submitted an application for a student. My Miata is just about ready. Just needs a cage, seat and safety equipment. I'm thinking of doing the spring school here in San Francisco region. Wondering if I should or can afford one of the pro schools also.

Lots to do before then...

Hey Dave, I put a mini banner at the bottom of all pages on the Pro IT Site, www.proitseries.com

Best of luck!

Thanks Matt!!! I appreciate it.

Alberto, you were able to get in touch with the mentor assigned to you, right?
    Dave Gran