Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you still be racing at age 75?

Default Will you still be racing at age 75?

I know some of you will cringe at the prospect of a 75 year old driver next to you and I might be a wee bit biased, but not to shabby for a 75.9 year old... ...my father's last race prior to this one was 30 years ago in a Surtees TS-5 F-5000 car.

He's had an FIA license, National SCCA license with 2 silver and 2 bronze metals (Jerry Hansen era) and has participated in the Trans-Am, Can-Am & F-5000 series.

This was last Sunday at Blackhawk Farms with a bunch of "angry jelly beans" swarming past him... ...and trying to find a gear.

http://vimeo.com/23217648

Dunno...that's 10 years from now. If my wife has her way there will still be at least one race car in the family...she's not ready to quit.

do you have a welded diff in that VW? Looks like a lot of arm strength being used!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I watched Newman at 83 kick a youngsters ass. Lord, I hope I'm still racing at 75.

Russ
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    do you have a welded diff in that VW? Looks like a lot of arm strength being used!
    Nope, a Quaife with 225/45/13 Hankooks...

Well, Ed, I have two years on you and plan to still be doing it at 75....Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

kudos to all of you who are getting up there and still have the body and mind to do this. the fact that it's been 30yrs since he last raced makes his run pretty impressive, that's a long time out of the seat.

I don't know why my plans are, thats 42yrs off - but I know I've seen a bunch of guys in that age bracket on both sides of the fitness fence, some still doing it well, well into their 80's. but I see NO ONE stepping up to tell the more worn of them it was time to hang it up, and that does bother me.

A couple of things I missed. He wants a rear wheel drive car...he drives the VW like a RWD car...that is what he learned on. Second....Move him closer to the steering wheel...he is too far back. cB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

LOL, I probably won't be alive at 75!

79 year-old Dick Greer is on the entry list for GT1 at this weekends race at Daytona.
    Rodney Williamson
    www.titaniummotorsports.com

Hell, the way things are going, 75 may very well end up being the average SCCA racer's age. If I'm not mistaken, there were 4 of us at age 67 or older on the IT grid (20 something cars) at Topeka this past weekend.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I didn't start racing until I was 65, so I hope the health (and resources) hold up so I can race when I am 75

Won the ITA race at NHMS this weekend at 65, and proud as hell:026:
    Jim Alley
    1990 ITA Miata

Its all about doing your personal Best

My dad is nearly that age and still races. He's not setting lap records, but he's not causing accidents either. I've passed him on many a lap in enduros (he doesn't do sprint races anymore) and never had an issue with him doing something weird. I always make a point to give him a wave.

He's got some freinds he does enduros with of similar age. In '09 they took 3rd in SM at the 12 Hours at Summit Point. 4 drivers who brought their spouses as crew. Average age of the 4 drivers - 63.

Tell your dad to keep doing it.

I tell my 99 year old Grandfather - you're only as old as you think you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post
    This was last Sunday at Blackhawk Farms with a bunch of "angry jelly beans" swarming past him...
    I will be 70 in a few months, I also was at Blackhawk Farms this past Friday for 4 thirty minute sessions. I hadn't raced in the last 5 years. Brand new tub up build jelly bean. Handled really well which didn't hide the fact that my mind & body were not up to the challenge. At best I did 15 minute of each 30 minute session & then sat in the car in the padock thinking to myself, do I want to go through the retraining of myself so that I can race again. It was not fun. I packed up & went home.

End of it all
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Decent lines, good courtesy, excellent traffic awareness and judgement. I'd pass him. I'm 20 years away and doubt I'll be that good when the time comes.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    I will be 70 in a few months, I also was at Blackhawk Farms this past Friday for 4 thirty minute sessions. I hadn't raced in the last 5 years. Brand new tub up build jelly bean. Handled really well which didn't hide the fact that my mind & body were not up to the challenge. At best I did 15 minute of each 30 minute session & then sat in the car in the padock thinking to myself, do I want to go through the retraining of myself so that I can race again. It was not fun. I packed up & went home.

End of it all
    I feel your pain Dave. I feel this way the first session of a weekend. Can I really do this? Why don't I understand what the car is doing? Is this fun? Eventually it wears off and I realize this is fun even if I'm not perfect. Sounds like you weren't able to make it over the hump to the fun stuff?

What's the problem, are you irritated you aren't as good as you used to be / want to be or can you just not find the basic joy in the driving?

I can't tell you what to do, but I think you owe to yourself to make sure the fun really isn't there. If it's not, then walk away. But don't give up too soon.

Yes, I spent too much time last weekend with my new-age touchy-feely aging-hippy brother-in-law.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I didn't mention this to him and he'll probably read it here... ...I brought my gear along, just in case he couldn't/wouldn't continue.

I asked him after every session if he was having fun and felt good... ...and he answered affirmative to both questions.

He was disappointed in his times and we talked about pushing harder, driving deeper in and on the gas sooner, but I think he felt more "comfortable" at this pace. He did improve his lap times each session... ...and it was better than sitting in a rocking chair watching the grass grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Myers View Post
    I watched Newman at 83 kick a youngsters ass. Lord, I hope I'm still racing at 75.

Russ
    Russ, I guess I am an optimist! My grass roots subscription was paid until End of 2013 when Got notice to protect rate I could renew for additional 10 years for $99.00 So I did Now runs out at october of 2023 at which time I will be a "charming Grumpy Old man" of 80. LOL T weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    A couple of things I missed. He wants a rear wheel drive car...
    NO SHEET! He wants an "angry jelly bean"! I think the hamster powered Scirocco is "just his speed"...

I sure hope I'm racing then, I can't imagine anything better than racing for 62 years straight (started karts at 13). The only issue I have is if somebody that age can pay attention and react like they used to be able to when they started racing or were young. I got hit by an older guy who in his prime was great driver and track record holder, but he has slowed down and he wasn't really watching his mirrors when our contact happened. I don't care if they're slow, or even if if I'm slow when I'm old, as long as the driver realizes it, is aware of their surroundings and can hold their line. If the driver can do that, keep on racing! Just a thought, what would the ideas be that anybody over X age has to do a Drivers School every X years? (possibly with a discount) Kind of like a physical.

Steven
    1989 ITA Honda Civic Si
    Washington D.C. Region

Quote Originally Posted by SMac92 View Post
    Just a thought, what would the ideas be that anybody over X age has to do a Drivers School every X years? (possibly with a discount) Kind of like a physical.

Steven
    I think that might work, but I would also be in favor of instituting a "peer review" type system for active drivers, where the stewards/driver's reps/veteran drivers might monitor another driver's performance/behavior (wouldn't have to be solely age-based for that matter) where warranted and make recommendations as to whether a driver's school, or even retirement, would be appropriate.

As to the original question; I certainly hope to be able to continue to race well into my 70s (geez, that's only 20 years away ), but I also hope I'll have the wherewithal to know when I'm starting to become an obstacle, rather than a competitor*.

Edit: *shut up Rob!
    Last edited by erlrich; 05-04-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5