Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the party - ITA Fiero GT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New to the party - ITA Fiero GT

Some of you might remember my foray into building a Fiero GT - I gave up on the project but my teamate Greg Simpson spent about 2 years getting this car built and developed.

He'll be testing it all day Friday and doing his first race on Sunday in the Pro IT - check it out!!!

Video - hear the power of the 2.8 V6 with crushing torque

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/7583875/20111968
    Last edited by benspeed; 06-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

there's one registered for this weekend at heartland park as well. bet my miata doesn't have motor on that thing!
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

The one here in Atlanta goes about 140mph on the straights and then 15mph in the turns. It's funny to watch. At least he gets out of the way nicely.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

I still think, after tons of money and time in development, that is a potential "car to have" in ITA along with the CRX, Integra, 240sx and Miata.
    Last edited by JeffYoung; 06-01-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I still think, after tons of money and time in development, that is a potential "car to have" in ITA along with the CRX, Integra, 240sx and Miata.
    except there are loads of aftermarket support for the CRX, teg, 240 and Miata's. lot's of part availability, and used chassis laying around. as for the Fiero, only 17,000+- '88's were built, although there were a lot of earlier cars, everyone want's the later chassis.

this car look's great... I wish you guys the best of luck and as a former Fiero owner, I am completely envious!

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    those things have some monster torque! should do well at the faster tracks. good luck! good to hear other cars being built.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Great looking car!
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Part of the reason i chose ITA was the variability of speed, cornering, braking , etc... of the cars as opposed to the relative frieght train of SM and such. If you use a rough 146-148 hp stock and a 25% multiplier here (just making this up... no holy war... already happening around the globe)... that should make for a pretty stout little monster down the straights! Have fun.
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    The one here in Atlanta goes about 140mph on the straights and then 15mph in the turns. It's funny to watch. At least he gets out of the way nicely.

-Tom
    maybe I can come down there and show you how good it handles!Greg

When I worked at the Pontiac dealer in the 80s,we made a lot of money swaping engines due to the 2.5 block leaking oil. Not the gaskets the BLOCK.

Anyways,when the 88 showed up it was kinda eyeopening the first time we pulled a wheel off and didnt see VEGA front suspension andbrakes, And CITATION front suspension mounted in the rear. To bad they scraped the car just as they fixed it.

Great looking car,hope it works for you. Don Dumas had one that was pretty quick at the starts and man did it sound cool. Could barley hear over my rotary.

Dan

Great looking car! Good luck at testing and we hope to see you at NARRC/LRP June 18-19.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Here is my 15 mph Fiero at R/A... I believe I am doing at least 18 mph here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Fiero.

There are two of them that run in ITB up here in Mi at Waterford Hills . Mid to back of the pack runners. Although they are not "100% developed". I have raced one of them and was just ok to drive. Much different than my front drive Honda Civic.
    Your car looks great and the exhaust note is nice too. Hope to see you do well. Good luck.
    Todd Robbins. [email protected]

Hey Tom,,,, Give me SOME credit. I do AT LEAST 20 mph around the turns at Road Atlanta.
    Bill

Anyone know what happened to Greg at NJMP this weekend? I heard he dropped out after one lap.....
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Anyone know what happened to Greg at NJMP this weekend? I heard he dropped out after one lap.....
    Greg had overheating problems during qualifying and elected to not race. Look for Greg to be back at Summit Point in three weeks.

Terry

Im running 400 pound springs all around with koni reds and it handles great!

what is the minimum weight on this thing in ITB? I am too lazy to look it up.

edit: a 2.5L mid enigne car weighing at over 200lbs less than my 1.6L mid engine car?!?! #$%^#$&#! I give up

Though there are some differences but with my MR2 at 2340# it felt great with 450# on all corners and koni 8611 DA's
    Last edited by quadzjr; 06-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Very cool, very cool.

I agree with Jeff in that I think a fully developed one can do ok. The question is will we ever see a 100% effort? I hope he takes it all the way.

One observation - a dual exit exhaust on that V6 will not make as much power as a properly designed header system with scavenging merge collectors and single exhaust

Car looks spectacular!!! Good luck Greg.....you deserve success!!
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES