Thread: Got E88 head? Hit me up....

Question Got E88 head? Hit me up....

I need one. Fresh out up here in NC. If you have one for reasonable money let me know. I can arrange the shipping part so it is painless.

Thanks,
    Ron

Ron, we have one we think is the 260 E88, but I don't recall how to ID and make sure. Do you recall? We have a fair number of 240z E88, but only one that we think is 260 specific. If you want me to check it further just shoot me a PM.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Hey Chris,

Thanks, let me find out. Mike Mackaman had some info about that on the site somewhere. I'll PM him and see if he knows.

Oh, wait, duh.

The 260Z has the larger exhaust value. The 240Z had a 1.65" intake and 1.3" exhaust. This valve size stayed the same till the 260Z when they went to a 1.38" exhaust ( same as the 280). So, if the exhaust valve measures 1.38" then it is, more than likely, a 74 E88 head and legit for a 260Z.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 05-18-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Hey Chris,

Thanks, let me find out. Mike Mackaman had some info about that on the site somewhere. I'll PM him and see if he knows.

Oh, wait, duh.

The 260Z has the larger exhaust value. The 240Z had a 1.65" intake and 1.3" exhaust. This valve size stayed the same till the 260Z when they went to a 1.38" exhaust ( same as the 280). So, if the exhaust valve measures 1.38" then it is, more than likely, a 74 E88 head and legit for a 260Z.
    I'll try to check tonight. We have literally dozens of heads, but most are either from 240z's my uncle dismantled through the years, or from 280z's that came in a lot of parts someone gave him years ago. There is one E-88 head that came on a 260z motor a friend gave us, but as old as it is there is no guarantee it's the original head from that motor. I'll check the exhaust valve width and get back to you as soon as I can.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

The E88 casting mark on a 240 is about 0.400" tall. On a 260 it is about 0.300" tall. If the head is off the car, the exhaust valve is bigger, 1.25 vs 1.38" and the chamber is huge. Some of the 240 E88's have an E31 chamber. The rest are the large open chamber like the 260. The open chamber 240 head is identical to the 260, so you can open up the seats and put the larger valves in. It really is the same part.

Mike

By the way, did the crank kill the head, or the other way around, or unrelated?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I need one. Fresh out up here in NC. If you have one for reasonable money let me know. I can arrange the shipping part so it is painless.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Ron, I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, but the head was in a shop I don't have a key to. I just looked at it, and it is a 260z head. Had 1.38"ex valves, and the .30 inch E88 stamping. I checked the cyl head thickness, and it's 108mm at all 4 corners. Seems to be straight, but I only got real rough measurements. Has a "c" cam, and the wipe pattern looks good to my eyes. The water journals are all pretty much uncorroded. It's a dressed head with valves, springs, etc, but is missing one rocker arm, button, rocker retaining spring. Not sure why that is not on there. It may have been a quick replacement for us when we popped a rocker off and damaged the button on our first motor. It does have a valve cover. Let me know if you are interested. I'd pretty much let you name your price. Happy to keep these cars going.
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Hi Ron - I've got an E88 head - I'll check the measurements and advise on actual type. I can send pictures as well. Let me know if you're still in the market for one.

He will take them. Ron, man up and buy one!

Mike, unrelated. Spare head had a meltdown a while back and the repair is iffy.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Yep, unrelated. The spare motor is wearing a head with a big repair from a overheat a couple years back. It runs fine, but it is time to retire it. When the damage happened there wasn't time to fine another head, rebuild, and re-install. So, it was just repaired and put back on inside of a week.

Thanks for all the help fellows but I just received a head from Chris that is going off to the shop later this week.

R
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 06-08-2010 at 09:45 AM.