Thread: NuBeetle in C

Default NuBeetle in C

Has anyone built or researched a NuBeetle ITC build? I look at the specs on the car and they don't look real encouraging - class weight and suspension being negatives right up front. Is the rated 115 HP at the crank or wheel? The positive about this particular car is it's free! The present owner has endured the electrical gremlins/issues with the car and was looking at donating it to a charity as he doesn't want to sell it as a daily driver. I've approached them with ebaying the interior and ancilliarys not required in IT. I don't really like the oversquare motor - 84mm bore x 92 mm stroke - as I believe it will be slow revving, but the mechanicals of the car have been well maintained and it has been dependable. If nothing else, I suppose it could be a LeMons/ChumpCar build. Thoughts/observations/cheapshots/etc encouraged and appreciated.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

It's been a while, but many people have discussed the viability of the New Beetle in ITC. If you've got a few weeks (and a few brain cells) to kill, I strongly recommend reading thru this thread:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=12109

Finally, although I don't know for sure, I would suspect that the 115hp rating is at the crank, as most manufacturers specify.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

The biggest point is that no one has tried it. So put a cage in it, test it and see how it does. If it does poorly make it a lemons car. if it is close, put some suspension and tires on it and see what it will do closer to an IT trim. If that fails sell the tires and suspension.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Gregg,
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be reading it.

Quadzjr,
    Good idea about trying it out. I have run Putnam in my C Rabbit, so I have a baseline to start with. Wouldn't be out much, time and material mostly. The wife surrendered to this insanity a couple of years ago, she figures it beats drinking.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Whats this? "no one has tried it" I beg to differ. Ours is 98% done. Not easy, have to be real carefull about buying parts, 98-99 were a little different than the later ones. As such, there's less out there. Biggest hurtle is the clutch and flywheel.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7chris View Post
    Whats this? "no one has tried it" I beg to differ. Ours is 98% done. Not easy, have to be real carefull about buying parts, 98-99 were a little different than the later ones. As such, there's less out there. Biggest hurtle is the clutch and flywheel.
    98% is not 100%
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Your drinking is way cheaper than this. Maybe the wife needs to know that drinking is required to race.
    The biggest hurdle will be getting it to turn, on the alloted wheels and weight. IMHO.. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

really only thing we're missing is the fuel test port and inspection to be legal. But we want to get scales prior to doing anything else. I would be willing to bet we are waaaay under weight right now.
    Chris

Please let us know what the weight is before you ballast it up.

AND how much more you could legally remove from that.

I would really like to see how close this gets to an appropriate ITB weight. If it can get to 2450 (maybe a bit less) that is pretty close to what the 2.0 cars should be in ITB. I keep wondering if it was pushed to C based on inability to reach the lower than process 2350 weight that the 2.0 cars have right now.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Please let us know what the weight is before you ballast it up.

AND how much more you could legally remove from that.

I would really like to see how close this gets to an appropriate ITB weight. If it can get to 2450 (maybe a bit less) that is pretty close to what the 2.0 cars should be in ITB. I keep wondering if it was pushed to C based on inability to reach the lower than process 2350 weight that the 2.0 cars have right now.
    2.0L at 2450?? my 1.6L is at 2525? I believe the accord is 2550. The the old celicas are classed at 2330 I think.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    ... I keep wondering if it was pushed to C based on inability to reach the lower than process 2350 weight that the 2.0 cars have right now.
    No wondering about it: The ITAC at the time (I was there) had evidence that the NB would be hard pressed to get to the ITB-spec process minimum weight. Presto! ITC.

K

Thanks for clarifying Kirk. It was never clear to me whether it was evaluated based on 2350 or IT Process weight.

And now we get to see first hand what a real one weighs.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    2.0L at 2450?? my 1.6L is at 2525? I believe the accord is 2550. The the old celicas are classed at 2330 I think.
    To clarify, I was speaking about a specific motor, the VW 8v cross flow 2 liter. Not 2 liter motors in general. With IT prep restrictions, using simple displacement to class cars would be pure folly IMO.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

Quote Originally Posted by rx7chris View Post
    I don't understand the "flywheel" part of that last statement.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

dual mass/non servicable p.o.s. only clutch option is stock.

If anybody's around tampa and has some scales that i could borrow i'd appreciate it just want to get a base number to begin with. In my current situation it's gonna be a while till i can afford some, let alone a trailer.
    Chris

Citrus county speedway has some you can use on a SAT. for 25$ you can scale your car and watch some races.
    Any sand or gravel place has a scale also , as does the county landfill, etc.
    In reality,take out the the legal stuff. go race it, and scale it there.
    Daytona has the best scales , for some reason..
    CFR at Sebring has two scales. Roll the car over , weigh the other half, driver stands on the scale for the total.
    CFR, the biggest region in the country, has crap scales.

If you need a trailer, I have one to borrow. I also have a Tow dolly, maybe for sale.
    HTH, MM
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 05-19-2010 at 10:44 PM.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

I still can't get my wife to concede to the fact of racing after twenty years! If you don't build it, I'll come get it and build it! I could care less if it gets lapped twice in a race, I just want to get back out there! I miss my Roc a lot. Once a car is out of the garage, it's hard to get one back in.
    John McFarland
    ————————————————
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    ————————————————
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH

John, why build a car? I have to think there are tons of IT VWs available built and logbooked for short money compared to building a Bug, AND you won't get lapped twice....

I second what Kirk says, we were told on the ITAC it couldn't make ITB process weight, or it would have gone there.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm just frustrated I'm not allowed to bring anything home. There are some great bargains out there right now.

I still bet a new Bug would be a good C car.
    John McFarland
    ————————————————
    #02 GTA Chevy Monte Carlo

Scott McFarland
    ————————————————
    #88 ITC Renault Alliance

Mentor, OH