Thread: NuBeetle in C

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default NuBeetle in C

Has anyone built or researched a NuBeetle ITC build? I look at the specs on the car and they don't look real encouraging - class weight and suspension being negatives right up front. Is the rated 115 HP at the crank or wheel? The positive about this particular car is it's free! The present owner has endured the electrical gremlins/issues with the car and was looking at donating it to a charity as he doesn't want to sell it as a daily driver. I've approached them with ebaying the interior and ancilliarys not required in IT. I don't really like the oversquare motor - 84mm bore x 92 mm stroke - as I believe it will be slow revving, but the mechanicals of the car have been well maintained and it has been dependable. If nothing else, I suppose it could be a LeMons/ChumpCar build. Thoughts/observations/cheapshots/etc encouraged and appreciated.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

It's been a while, but many people have discussed the viability of the New Beetle in ITC. If you've got a few weeks (and a few brain cells) to kill, I strongly recommend reading thru this thread:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=12109

Finally, although I don't know for sure, I would suspect that the 115hp rating is at the crank, as most manufacturers specify.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

The biggest point is that no one has tried it. So put a cage in it, test it and see how it does. If it does poorly make it a lemons car. if it is close, put some suspension and tires on it and see what it will do closer to an IT trim. If that fails sell the tires and suspension.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Gregg,
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be reading it.

Quadzjr,
    Good idea about trying it out. I have run Putnam in my C Rabbit, so I have a baseline to start with. Wouldn't be out much, time and material mostly. The wife surrendered to this insanity a couple of years ago, she figures it beats drinking.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

Whats this? "no one has tried it" I beg to differ. Ours is 98% done. Not easy, have to be real carefull about buying parts, 98-99 were a little different than the later ones. As such, there's less out there. Biggest hurtle is the clutch and flywheel.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7chris View Post
    Whats this? "no one has tried it" I beg to differ. Ours is 98% done. Not easy, have to be real carefull about buying parts, 98-99 were a little different than the later ones. As such, there's less out there. Biggest hurtle is the clutch and flywheel.
    98% is not 100%
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by rx7chris View Post
    I don't understand the "flywheel" part of that last statement.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael