Thread: Nurburgring 24 hrs

Default Nurburgring 24 hrs

Anyone ever done the 24 hrs at Nurburgring? I have an opportunity and wanted some feedback on the race and the qualifying races prior.

Quote Originally Posted by M5rokit View Post
    Anyone ever done the 24 hrs at Nurburgring? I have an opportunity and wanted some feedback on the race and the qualifying races prior.
    Short of being there for practice laps, spend as much time as possible in a virtual setting for practice. I've driven it once(long ago) in a 911 and it takes much more than a couple laps to learn it.

So I've heard! Thanks. I'm told that one must do two qualifying races beforehand. That would mean 6 trips back and forth to the Fatherland! Yikes. $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by M5rokit View Post
    I have an opportunity and wanted some feedback on the race and the qualifying races prior.
    Uuuuh, is there any question as to "if"? Hell, that's one of those races I'd go into serious debt for to do; always wanted to, always will.

I did some laps there last year, and I can tell you it's an awesome place, in the truest sense of the word. I can see how PC games could help you get the "lay of the land", because most corner entries do not really project the rest of the turn. You really need to KNOW what's coming up. But, if the option is there do get a street car and a string of tokens and just go do laps, even if they're not at speed.

Dude, I'm seriously jealous.

GA

I did several laps at the Ring last year, early october, about 40- 45 deg F, light to medium rain, foggy... It was about one of the coolest driving experiences I've ever had, it was just prototypical Nurburgring weather and lots of fun...

But I would that even though I have done hundreds of laps of the PS2 version of the Ring, it was virtually no help whatsoever to learn the track once I was there. Nothing can convey the vertical relief of the place, the amazing steepness of the hills, and how incredibly tight and narrow the track is. Just about every other corner has a blind apex or exit. The grip level is a little strange, it feels like it has pretty good grip, and for some reason it feels like the grip is pretty good even in the rain, and does not seem to have the property of letting go suddenly, it seems more forgiving for some reason. But that's the only thing that is forgiving about it, runoff area pretty much everywhere is minimal.

That said, I agree with Greg that I would go into debt to do some races there in the Grune Holle...
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12

As for a renting a car to drive there on the track I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend www.rent-racecar.de those guys were fantastic. I can't remember his name but the guy that runs the place is an excellent driver and any of us would benefit from his instruction there...
    Washington DC Region
    Scuderia Tortuga
    MARRS ITC Scirocco #12