Thread: A Corner Ballancing Story.....

Default A Corner Ballancing Story.....

I did a corner ballance on the Z3 last Saturday. I'd planned to install 45lbs of weight. I didn't bolt it down in case I needed to move it. Well when I finished I had 695 on the LF and 696 RF, but my total weight with ~7 gallons in the tank was 2763lbs. So I'll need to add more weight, maybe ~ 20lbs should be enough. I guess I'll have to redo the corner balance. Oh yeah, Front/Rear was 50.2/49.8, I guess the car's a tank if it could take the roll and still be this close on the corner ballance
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Try putting 165 pounds of balast in your car! I've got that and still struggle to hit 3055 :-(
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Try putting 165 pounds of balast in your car! I've got that and still struggle to hit 3055 :-(
    psh.. 165.. that's nothing!

200 in the MR2, and if they do move the 99 si to ITA it would require so much weight ~400+ that we won't run it.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

How about a fire system or an Accusump placed dead denter in the car?

I don't think he was complaining about the ballast, he was showing off how well-balanced the car is.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    How about a fire system or an Accusump placed dead denter in the car?
    I've already got a fire system... I could use an accusump, or maybe a suit cooler.

Josh, pretty much nailed it

Though I have to wonder how much reinforcement is needed. Also, has anyone used RTV between the plates to keep the weight room sounds to a minimum?
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 05-10-2010 at 11:53 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Josh, pretty much nailed it

Though I have to wonder how much reinforcement is needed. Also, has anyone used RTV between the plates to keep the weight room sounds to a minimum?
    Betcha that isn't legal per 9.1.3.L but I would also think that if you fasten them properly, you wouldn't hear any noise, no?

Nice numbers. I especially like the front L-R numbers. Some people shoot for the best possible cross at the expense of throwing the LF-RF out of whack - and then they wonder why they get lock-up in a straight line...
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Betcha that isn't legal per 9.1.3.L but I would also think that if you fasten them properly, you wouldn't hear any noise, no?

Nice numbers. I especially like the front L-R numbers. Some people shoot for the best possible cross at the expense of throwing the LF-RF out of whack - and then they wonder why they get lock-up in a straight line...
    Two 1/2" grade 8 bolts per stack with grade 8 washers, the largest stack is five 10lb weights, the second is a 10lb and two 5lb'ers. So what additional reinforcement should I use maybe some 1/8" plate?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

So, I went back to Walmart and got an additional 25lbs of weight plates, for a total of 70lbs. I'm glad I asked for the re-evaluation of this car because I'm not installing an additional 30lbs. Before I started drilling holes I decided to move my fire bottle closer to the tunnel to allow the weights to be closer to the outside. I put the 50lb stack to the rear, and the 20lb stack just ahead. Then I started the ballancing again. When it was close I went ahead and marked then drilled the holes, bolted the weights in place, and futzed with the corner balance one last time. The results with a full 12 gallon tank are 2818lbs total, so I can use all but about the last 3 gallons of fuel and make weight. The final corners are: LF: 700lbs RF: 700lbs RR: 700lbs and LR: 718lbs. So, I'm starting out slightly tail heavy, but by a half tank I'll be a little nose heavy. I've also decided to go back to the oe sway bar on the rear, it's tiny like about a 1/2" bar, but it'll allow me to continue running my 550lbs/in rear springs instead of purchasing a set of 600 or 650 springs. I was running with out the rear bar, but I think the car was running a little tight, while the adjustable bar I was running on full soft was a little loose. My next race is this weekend, I'll be running ITR and STU, wish me luck :026:
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Thanks to all who wished me luck because I scored my first first, in STU. It was a well fought race aginst David Allen in an e-30.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rh3iJo3r5A[/ame]
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Here's some laps from my ITR win:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWJHPOaI0-E[/ame]

What you won't see is my car overheating ending my weekend. I've since pulled the head and discovered a very slightly burned head gasket.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Two 1/2" grade 8 bolts per stack with grade 8 washers, the largest stack is five 10lb weights, the second is a 10lb and two 5lb'ers. So what additional reinforcement should I use maybe some 1/8" plate?
    Yes - or at least 1/16" When I used to have weigh in my car (200 lb. or so) I used a rectangular plate that was about 8" x 3", with the two mounting holes about 5" apart (the weights were made about 10" x 6" and came from a stock car shop and were pre-drilled). Underneath the floor I used large and strong fender washers.

You don't want that s&*t coming loose when you roll the car!
    timo