Thread: GSR goes ITS, so i do what with my glass sunroof?

Question GSR goes ITS, so i do what with my glass sunroof?

Ok, the posting title is a little more lost-sounding than i actually am, however - the question mark at the end is genuine. Here i am preparing my 95 DC2 Integra GSR for ITS, and we're closing in on getting the cage installed when it hits me; i still need to blank my sunroof opening. I have done many hours of research on the topic. many people claim welding in a panel will warp the roof (so might racing!), and a roof skin is a bit pricey, but i cannot find a metal replacement insert - so here i am. Rules state i need to use the same material to fill it, or replace th skin with a hole-less one. sounds simple enough, but i want to save some dough. There are companies that make 'plugs' of different materials to seal the roof hole, but none that i have found are metal - so i'm here at the source, asking: those of you who has been faced with blanking your sunroofs in order to properly prepare your car to ITS rules, what have you done? (note: my sunroof, all GSR sunroofs are glass, and therefore removing the 'guts' of a steel stocker is not an option.) any information would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

Cut a piece of metal the same gauge as the roof steel. Weld it in place. Sand it down and paint it.

Or, pop rivet a steel piece slightly larger than the hole into place.

Get a piece of metal slightly larger than the hole you need to fill. Put it on the inside and trace the opening You can leave an inch of metal all the way around if you are OK with a skim coat of filler or flange the profile to get it flush. Then use Fusor or similar quality panel bonding epoxy for a permanent, warp free fix. You basically cut an oversize plug and glue it in.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I went with the "hide it in plain sight" option on Pablo I - riveting/bonding a panel over the hole, then painting it semigloss black. People are so used to seeing the original smoked moon roof, I don't think anyone even noticed it was different...

K

Sometimes the roof is curved enough in both directions that the sheet metal needs shaping. An English wheel does the trick.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

English wheel, oversized by and inch, and riveted into place, with a 'hide it in plain sight' paintjob i think is the most budget consious collaboration of all the suggestions thus far. My car is black, so a black panel will work quite nicely, and yeah, it's a race car, so a few rivets and some adhesive are going to work out just fine i think.
    thanks for all the quick and useful responses! this is a great forum.

Here is an example of the pop rivet method.

Attached Images Attached Images