Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Manual/power steering swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    On a car with different heads, cams and pistons, one would logically assume that if they are on the same spec line (ala the 2nd gen RX-7), the weight would be set for the version with the highest potential.

In the RX-7 example, the 86-88 cars came with a 146hp 13B. Since the 89-91 cars are on the smae spec line, you can UD to that powerplant. The spec weight is based on the 160hp motor and it's potential.
    That kinda makes sense. as you are making turning an 86-88 into a 89-91 car with the UD. However as Jeff pointed out wouldn't running an early intake on a later motor in either configuation be illegal?

In following wiht the RX7 model I am fine with changing the 86-88 model into an 89-91 model. What I don't see as legal is the mustang example. Meaning running a late model engien with an early model carbed intake, with a late model 5 speed, and an early model differential, in a late model chassis. The result is a car that never existed in any year from production.

If I could figure out legaly how to make this car turn and brake you could really take advantage of this rulling. In talking with Ron, I know they have spend hours and hours of R&D to make there mustang work. It does very well on tracks in the area.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

No it wouldn't. It's the very definition of UD/BD. Teh guys with early cars have updated to the later engine (intake manifold and high compression pistons while reatining the AFM, ECU and harness because that stuff is a nightmare to convert unless you are doing a ground up. And read the rule carefully, what you can't create is a 'model' or 'type' of car that never existed. You can ceratinly interchange assemblies within the spec line.

The body rules trumps it because it clearly says it trumps it. It's about equipment that was never available on THAT BODY TYPE....don;t make it more difficult than it is.

If a station wagon had a tail wing like some new minivans and hatches, do you think you can take that unit and place it onto a coupe or sedan at the trailing edge of the roofline? No. You can UD/BD components and assemblies amounst cars of the same body type.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I follow you now.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    I follow you now.
    And in making an effort to follow you, maybe there are way too many years and iterations of that Stang on the spec line...but if you can get one to stop and handle, head out to ITR in a V8!!!
    Andy Bettencourt

And in making an effort to follow you, maybe there are way too many years and iterations of that Stang on the spec line...but if you can get one to stop and handle, head out to ITR in a V8!!!
    Maybe later, worked alot with them in the Drag racing days (where stoping and handling order of importance were probably between what air pressure to run and what lugnuts we used haha.)

till then I am still kicking the Dead horse with the MR2s. Still working on my next plan of action with it.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

No it wouldn't. It's the very definition of UD/BD...
    I've often wondered what defines an "assembly" in this instance? long block, short block, rotating assembly, pistons? transmission, or gear stack, or a single gear pair? Entire intake manifold from the TB to the head interface, or just a Throttle body? is it a question of what the smallest subassembly a dealer will sell you, making it manufacturer or model specific, or are there some general guidlines?

Guideline on page 355 of the GCR.
    Andy Bettencourt

wow that was a rookie miss. thanks.

following the RX7 train of thought, I could legally build and run an ITA Civic del sol Si with a 96 intake (D16Y8) on a 95 long block and trans (D16Z6)? that's honda challenge stuff right there. No wonder the car is 25lbs heavy compared to the Civic models that use these 2 motors - the frankenbeast is already expected and accounted for.