Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LRP June School and Regional

Default LRP June School and Regional

We at NER are working on final plans for this weekend.
    Our plan is to run the drivers school and have one practice/qual. session for each race group on Friday.
    We will run two races on Saturday.
    The question is: If the first race is a qualifing race, should grid for the main race(second race) be set by fastest time or finishing position?
    Jerry
    NER South

I'm almost thinking fastest time. When we spoke, I wondered how it would all work for students who get signed off and decide tor race. By doing qual for the later race by time, it resolves that issue. The only downside is there's less incentive to do well during the Fri qual. Tough call.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Though I have benifited by having a faster lap than my finishing position would have implied, a race is a race and qualifying is qualifying...

ntm if you use fastest time it rewards boneheads like me! :/
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

What if NARRC and NERRC points were rewarded for the qualifier?
    Is that an incentive?
    By the way, I'm not looking for more money if you do Friday.
    I want everyone to benifit from the schedule.
    Jerry
    NER South

Sat morning race,use best lap time for sat afternoon race. that way the guy who works a real job isnt penalized for not showing up friday. No double points as that hurts the job guy who isnt able get friday off as well.

Dan

cmon...you're killin me!

My damn daughter has to go ahead and graduate from High School on that
    weekend....what the hell was she thinking scheduling that??

....and now Jerry is posing the idea of awarding points for TWO races??!?!?!?!!!!

I feel like Rodney Dangerfield right now

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

If you are racin', count the points.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy must want to run. Needs points. Maybe he will instruct at the school as well? sounds as thou he'll be there.

I understand sacrfice the few to save the many,but its not a war. Its a regional and this is a hobby for most if not all. Ill be instructing friday so it wont effect me either way.
    Im trying a new kinder genteler approach lately. Hows it working?
    Dan

Actually, since the NARRC committee hasn't yet changed the points rules for 2010 (ALL the races count, no drops) per the quest of the driver feedback, you can assume it ain't a kinder and gentler environment.

It really doesn't matter to me. I just figure if you are there and you are racing, count it. If you can't make qualifying, how well are you expecting to do anyway?
    Andy Bettencourt

I like the expanded schedule... sure answers my question if we would be able to run practice sessions on track while students are in the classroom. What's our other option? two closed wheel and two open wheel practice sessions Friday with regular qual session and race on Sat?

honestly, LRP is LRP... we need to use Friday if it's available to us. You need to pick your losses... either don't have the qual race or award points or use the finishing position for sat afternoon race.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Btw, I think it's great that this is being considered and applaud the williness to give something different a try. Thanks Jerry.

I originally didn't have this on my schedule, but maybe it should be now.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Unfortunately, this event is the same weekend as the 12-hour race at NJMP, the latter to which I'm already committed. This is quite unfortunate, especially given my distinct enjoyment of instructing students...sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Btw, I think it's great that this is being considered and applaud the williness to give something different a try. Thanks Jerry.

I originally didn't have this on my schedule, but maybe it should be now.
    yea, what he said, Jerry.

My take on how to count the 'qualifying" session is, if it's a "race', and you award no points, or trophy, and count the fast lap, then it's really just a gridded qualifying session, isn't it?

Award points, and/or count the finish position, or just call it what it is, if there is no 'incentive".

My vote is to count the finish position as the qualifier. Racecraft counts.

I hear the kinder and gentler Dan, but, we only have three events this year at Lime Rock, right?...three days can usually be wrangled somehow.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 05-04-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    yea, what he said, Jerry.

My take on how to count the 'qualifying" session is, if it's a "race', and you award no points, or trophy, and count the fast lap, then it's really just a gridded qualifying session, isn't it?

Award points, and/or count the finish position, or just call it what it is, if there is no 'incentive".

My vote is to count the finish position as the qualifier. Racecraft counts.

I hear the kinder and gentler Dan, but, we only have three events this year at Lime Rock, right?...three days can usually be wrangled somehow.
    I will be running this race yahooo I can't wait! And I agree that it should be a qualifying RACE... racecraft and strategy does count just ask the British touring cars... this is how they do it!

That's awesome Jerry!

My opinion is fastest lap in qualifying race, no points.

I'm thinking that awarding NARRC points for the qualifier would be giving more weight to one race over the others. And would make it tough for guys who have already made their schedules.

But either way you do it, it's a great alternative!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Registration is now open.
    Just about as much track time as you can get at LRP for just one SMALL entry fee!
    I hope to see everyone there.....well except for tGA
    Sorry this took so long
    Jerry
    NER South

How will this effect the school? Is this going to cut into track time? I was going to enter the school to get acquainted with my new car, but if regional qualifying cuts into the school time, I might skip the school and just take it easy in the regional.
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by THawkbh View Post
    How will this effect the school? Is this going to cut into track time? I was going to enter the school to get acquainted with my new car, but if regional qualifying cuts into the school time, I might skip the school and just take it easy in the regional.
    Take a look at the schedule in the supps. The school cars will get lots of track time. The reason this works is the school is being limited to one run group instead of the usual three. If you are running the school and the regional the only issue you will have is one of you school sessions will be back to back with you qualifying session.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

If we are counting fastest lap. Then it should just be a qual session. Don't call it a race. lets save our fenders by not having a a race into turn 1 for no reason.

But If you count finishing position then call it a qual race and lets have fun.

I prefer the Finishing position.
    Kevin Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by kevin22 View Post
    If we are counting fastest lap. Then it should just be a qual session. Don't call it a race. lets save our fenders by not having a a race into turn 1 for no reason.

But If you count finishing position then call it a qual race and lets have fun.

I prefer the Finishing position.
    Save your fenders by not hitting each other.
    Andy Bettencourt