Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking at the Schedule

Camping World is under ten miles from NHMS and I think they pick up and drop off.Kinda like enterprise. There are a few others around the track as well. Try looking it up and it will be easier to sell a regional at NHMS to her.

And dont forget the lakes region shopping,tax free and Tanger outlets in Conway. Motion Dynamics could drop her off on the way to the shop....

The three triples at NHMS are probably the best so far in the northeast as far as racing time goes. Practice on friday afternoon for 100 bucks is pretty cheap and youll be set to qualify sat am and race the rest of the weekend. I think the afternoon gets cheaper as the day goes on,like 20 bucks per session less.

Added bonus with renting the RV,you can not invite Greg in if you want.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    While I appreciate your thought Rob, your situation is a "little" different. If my wife had admenities it would sure be easier!

Do I want to mortgage my future for racing? Nope!
    My situation is different in mny ways, I understand and agree some, and disagree some.

First an RV doesn't require a second mortgage...Ben just got one for a good deal....there is NO market in RV's right now.

You don't need the RV Taj, mines a '96.

Second for the cost of several sets of sticker tires you could have one. And you could further use it for family trips. We are going on three separate camping trips this summer to use the RV and have family time. It's a lot cheaper than plane tickets and hotels, so you'll recoup cost there.

And most importantly...I'm no Bill Gates here, but we are talking about racing cars...not a hobby for guys with no discretionary income....if it were a priority for you , you could make it work. I think.

And lastly, for Jake and Andy....she likes bald guys (thank God)!!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

situation is a "little" different. If my wife had admenities it would sure be easier!

Do I want to race? Yup!
    Do I like to race? Yup!
    Do I want to mortgage my future for racing? Nope!

So I am looking for events that make sense for me.
    And every person on the BB has those same constraints. It's a question we can't help you with. YOU decide whats right for you...since you didn't give us really anything for information to 'help' you with.

If you like to race and have limited time, do some Pro IT events. In and out in one day at some tracks with plenty of IT cars to race against.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Jeremy, everyone is telling me the same thing will happen to me but I really think its not a choice the kids make or a choice you make. Its a choice you and your wife make. I am lucky... my wife likes racing and couldn't imagine taking anything I love to do away from me. I grew up in the pits of bryar and can't imagine it a different way. The way I look at it is that WE, my wife and I, enjoy taking trips together and we always explore something new when we go. ( like atlantic city when we visit NJ or the vinyards around glen NY) For me growing up our family vacations were leaving a day early and visiting places like Niagara falls on the way to the glen or hitting Hershey park on the way to summit. Don't forget about your anunual trip to steamtown PA as well! I do not have the personal experience as a father but as a kid I always looked forward to those trips! Good luck in your decision WITH your wife. I encourage you to make them fun trips with family and friends and you'll never feel like your dragging them along or picking racing over him or her.

Stephen

I almost forgot... for me this year I am only doing a few races to spend a little extra on my new car. I decided to pick the races with the highest car counts in my class for the best "racing" I could find. For me track time means less to me than a great race with a full field. I was born to race not lap!

Stephen blethen

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post

R

Go figure!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Bald Guys? What?
    Jerry
    NER South

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post

R
    The beauty of having hair is that we can go back and forth.... LMAO!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

My version of Stephen's: My wife doesn't like racing, cringes when she hears the vroom, vroom sounds, hates racing tires even more and couldn't imagine taking anything I love to do away from me.

Jeremy, it's all about making it work for the family. Melissa and I were talking about this year's schedule. She asked when I'll be going to the Glen? And it's not because she likes the track. LOL Last year she and Isaac went to some nearby animal petting farm. There's also the NY park which is pretty awesome. Then there's the lake and a boat ride. Lots of stuff to keep her and the boy happy. If she's not into that, figure out other tracks that work better. Summit Point equals a trip to D.C. for Melissa.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by ner88 View Post
    Bald Guys? What?
    Hey, dude, you're IN!
    Plus, you're the big cheese, and you've got those groovy glasses!
    (You might consider a one up approach though, so you'll need to get a bigger newer and nicer RV, and trade the race car in for something by Porsche...)
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Dave Gran - my wife is on the same page as yours - hates it but wouldn't ever consider asking me to stop. She figures I'd go for something worse like amatuer space travel...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Ben, in your line of work, "Corporate entertainment" is probably a threat to her, LOL. Just utter the phrase, "could be hookers and blow", and car racing looks like it's as healthy an outlet as coaching Little League!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

As some of you here know, I've got a really good deal....my wife is into racing, maybe more than me at my advanced age! When we only had one car, it sometimes was an issue for me to get some seat time!

That said, all through the '80s and first half of the '90s I was with my second wife and mother of my daughter. She did not like racing at all, tho to be fair, she tried. She didn't like the noise and dirt. Her next husband was a Harley rider...go figure!

I restarted Auto-X in the early '80s and then COM time trials by '84 and racing in '89, during that time I let motorsports be more important than family....big mistake! My daughter is now 32 and we have a reasonably good relationship, but there were times that we had virtually none. I screwed up!!

Jeremy, choose family over racing. Don't stop racing, just go for quality over quantity, pick events where the competition will be good or pick tracks that you've always dreamed of driving. Two events per year keeps your license. In a few years it will be easier to take your son to the track, and if it hasn't been a big hassle, he may even start to enjoy it and want to get involved. Kids grow up so damn fast enjoy as many moments as you can, I wish I had!!

Anyway, Amy is propably going to wear that car out!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I walked away from racing in 1976, (yah, I know) to get a life!
    I have no regrets, it needed to be done.
    I came back in 2001 with family in tow.
    This weekend at the track was one of the best ever. My son, PJ, (sorry, he goes by Paul now) did his first drivers school, in fact if you watched the first race on Saturday, you might of even seen him lead from T6 to T12.
    I hope you all have an opportunity to experience and share your passion with a family member as I have!
    Jerry
    NER South

Hey look at that... 2 reasonable responses!

So back to my original question: I want quality over quantity... Perhaps IT Fest and Double at WGI
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Dave Gran - my wife is on the same page as yours - hates it but wouldn't ever consider asking me to stop. She figures I'd go for something worse like amatuer space travel...
    And she knows about the strippers in the new RV?....LOL

So back to my original question: I want quality over quantity... Perhaps IT Fest and Double at WGI
    Dude! Where's the love! I gave you two reasonable responses! No credit for that? I guess that means that won't happen again, waffle boy!
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Where are your racing friends racing? That would be my first choice... then if I am going without the family I guess for me it would be somewhere within 5 or 6 hr's tow... after that it becomes an all day drive that I don't like to do alone. Then I break it down to competition. For you ITS is awesome in the local Pro-it series and usually at the NARRC RUNOFFS. for me in ITB we never had more than a few cars in Pro-it but NARRC events always have a good turnout. So for me I have gone for the NARRC races this year and the glen double is my number 1 pick followed by the big one... the NARRC runoffs.

Good luck,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Dude! Where's the love! I gave you two reasonable responses! No credit for that? I guess that means that won't happen again, waffle boy!
    You got credit above Jake!
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Where are your racing friends racing? That would be my first choice...
    Stephen

Yea but look how Jeremy’s friends treat him. That is probably not his first consideration.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7