Thread: Factory options question

Default Factory options question

Ok, I'm pretty sure I know, but just wanted to run it past our resident rules experts: any factory option that was available for the model/year car listed on the spec line is legal, unless it differs from something listed on the spec line (e.g. trans gear ratios, rotor diameter, etc), right?

For example, the 4th Gen Camaro/Firebird V6 was available with the RS package, which included a factory 'sport appearance package' (still researching, but reportedly includes a ground effects package & different rear spoiler along with badging), and all 4th Gen V6s could be had with the Y87 option, which included dual-outlet exhaust, LSD, and the quicker ratio steering rack (~14:1 v. the std ~16:1), along with rear disc brakes on the '96 - '98 models & shorter gears (3.42 v. 3.08) on the autos.

All of those things would then be legal for IT, right?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Factory installed is the key. If so, then good to go.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Yes to everything except the brakes and gears (as you have described).

Gears are moot as they are free, but for illustrative purposes, those and ANYTHING only available on the automatic cars (if I am reading you right), is not legal.

You can not create a model that never existed. If 'X' only came on auto cars and auto cars are not legal to run, the only cars on the spec line is the manual car - and all the options/iterations that it came with.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Gears are moot as they are free, but for illustrative purposes, those and ANYTHING only available on the automatic cars (if I am reading you right), is not legal.
    Final drive gearing is free, but not transmission. Also, the parts (gears and brakes) don't necessarily have to match the numbers listed on the spec line, many of the published numbers have been wrong over the years.

And those RS's looked so BA!!!!

build it! build it! build it!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    Final drive gearing is free, but not transmission. Also, the parts (gears and brakes) don't necessarily have to match the numbers listed on the spec line, many of the published numbers have been wrong over the years.
    Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. Any unique part that came on an automatic version of a car would not be eligible for UD/BD.

The gears are moot as I said because they are free but I listed them simply from his example of 'something' that was only available from the auto.
    Andy Bettencourt

I had a Y87 optioned 97 camaro. Essentially it made it a Z28 with a v6. Same rack rear end and brakes as a Z28 but with better weight distribution. Awesome GS solo 2 car. and it was a 5 speed.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing. Any unique part that came on an automatic version of a car would not be eligible for UD/BD.

The gears are moot as I said because they are free but I listed them simply from his example of 'something' that was only available from the auto.
    I think he was talking about your first statement that "gears are free" - just pointing out that rear-end gears are free, not trans gears. At least that's how I took it.

Yeah, the point about something that came only on an auto version is a good one, and one I hadn't thought about. My guess is most of the options that would be exclusive to autos are probably already free in IT (or conversely, explicitly illegal), but you never know.

I had to think a bit about an example of something that might be an option but not be on the spec line; in reality is there anything other than the engine that might be a factory option that wouldn't be included on the spec line? For example, the 240SX has two different front rotors, one for non-ABS and a slightly larger one for ABS cars, but they're both listed. Shouldn't that pretty much always be the case?

The main reason this question came up had to do with the steering rack - it would be nice to be able to run the quicker one. Just too bad they didn't make any without P/S...
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Mostly this comes up with 'dealer installed' items that people mistake for factory options.

That RS body work would certainly be legal.
    Andy Bettencourt