Thread: DL-1 vs. Traqmate

Default DL-1 vs. Traqmate

Anyone buying a DAS come down to looking at these two systems?

At first I thought the units we're the same but then it turns out you need a $200 part (TraqdataII) on the traqmate to get the inputs/outpus that the DL-1 already has built into the unit.

Other then that, I can't see much different in the capabilities of the two units. I'm also just looking that the "basic" systems and not really concerned with Dash capabilities.

looking for feedback,

Bill

From my understanding functionaly they are the similiar, the data display is a bit different from one to the other, but if you are using a basic system, then that isn't included anyways. Also depending on what you want to do with teh data, if you want to cmpare a competitors plot v.s. yours you will need to have similiar setups. Alot of people in the SE use traqmate, from my understanding the NE is all DL-1 users.

Just something to think about.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I had both, The real differance is in the software. The DL-1 is much more sofisticated. So it is actually a little harder to use at first, but when you have become more experianced it can do so much more. But the most important reason to have Data is to share it with other drivers. You will get much faster by comparing your laps to someone who is faster.

So get whatever is the most common where you race. Here in the Northeast alot of guys run the DL-1, but in other parts of the country it may be different
    Kevin Anderson

A lot of SE folks have Traqmate. The Traqmate guys are in Atlanta and race at a lot of the SE events. That's probably one reason. I don't know what features make the DL-1 more sophisticated, but I haven't used all the features of the Traqmate software. Being able to compare your laps against someone else's (preferably faster than you ) is a big deal so definitely factor that into the decision. I've been happy with my Traqmate.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Bill: Have you looked at the Race-Keeper system? Data/Video synched, one box, up to 4 video inputs, up to 8 analog inputs (if you want them), GPS based, 3 axis acceler., software included (not extra), video editing and export (included). Base system includes everything you need to get started (one camera, but I can tell you how to get a second camera at no cost). This is the system that SCCA Pro Racing selected to install on all World Challange cars for the next three years. Software is very easy to learn. Some advantages - installs in 15-20 minutes with no drilling holes (unless you want to). You have a selection of cameras and lenses to customize the system. PM me to find out how to get a free system. I am not a dealer, just a satisfied user.

www.Race-Keeper.com
    Last edited by RacerBill; 04-29-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added website
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I have just picked up a DL1 with Dash3; have also used Trackmate in the past, and have used AIM systems for a good 5+ years now as well.

The RaceTech stuff is definitely more advanced; that's why I went to it. The system will ultimately be going into my DSR, and be used for engine and chassis development. I need CAN and multiple input capabilities for that - shocks, engine data, etc.

GPS capability upgrade was another big reason to migrate from the AIM stuff (available there but quite expensive).

The Trackmate seems like a much simpler system - in a good way. Much better suited it seems for a less-experienced user to get up and running, start logging data, and make improvements. But it does seem less suitable for use as a comprehensive dash as well, as it seems you've noted. It's more of a standalone driver development tool only, it would seem.

From your comments, it sounds like you want a bunch of inputs... but not a dash. What then are you trying to do, exactly?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I've been using TM for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. The new software loaded up a host of new features that was missing from earlier versions of the software and I think makes it more comparable to the DL.

But, if you're looking to hook up to a dash system I think the DL is the way to go.

SE does have a lot of TM users for sure.

There are some DL IT guys in the SEDIV. Me (ITS), Tom Hoppe (ITA), Jeff Underwood (ITB), etc.

The DL software may be more powerful, but it is a heap of shit. The people who wrote it need to go and buy a Windows Interface Design book.

After talking to the Dave and Ellen at Veracity data, I was considering going with the AIM-EVO, because it's not limited on the number of analog inputs like the DL-1. That is untill I've found some sedan, miata and it drivers that use the DL-1. I think someone would want the data logging capability for chassis and driver development, even if they're happy with their analog dash, IMHO. Thus they'd probably just get a simple timing interface if anything at all.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by SPiFF View Post
    The people who wrote it need to go and buy a Windows Interface Design book.
    They have one....for Windows 3.11
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by SPiFF View Post
    The DL software may be more powerful, but it is a heap.....
    That might be a little strong Zsolt. Ones that are more "friendly" are either simplified/limiting or take longer to extract the same info.

I've used/tested/coached with most of the brands out there and trust me DL1's software is one of the better ones on the software front, not to mention it takes the least amount of time to extract the information you need before your next session.

Each brand has good points. Some people want simplicity, some people want integrated video, some people want a specific OE CAN interface or predefined chassis setup routines, some people want expandability, or have a particular budget, etc... etc... No such thing as one perfect brand for everybody (much like car brands).

Best thing is to talk with someone knowledgeable in multiple brands, like myself or Veracity, and discuss your goals. I also recommend that you try the software and get familiar with it before you commit to spending your funds. For almost every brand you can download the software direct from the makers' website. If you need data for a particular system just post and I'm sure you'll find people willing to share.
    Last edited by jlucas; 04-30-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    I have just picked up a DL1 with Dash3; have also used Trackmate in the past, and have used AIM systems for a good 5+ years now as well.

The RaceTech stuff is definitely more advanced; that's why I went to it. The system will ultimately be going into my DSR, and be used for engine and chassis development. I need CAN and multiple input capabilities for that - shocks, engine data, etc.

GPS capability upgrade was another big reason to migrate from the AIM stuff (available there but quite expensive).

The Trackmate seems like a much simpler system - in a good way. Much better suited it seems for a less-experienced user to get up and running, start logging data, and make improvements. But it does seem less suitable for use as a comprehensive dash as well, as it seems you've noted. It's more of a standalone driver development tool only, it would seem.

From your comments, it sounds like you want a bunch of inputs... but not a dash. What then are you trying to do, exactly?
    Not exactly Vaughn, AIM has stuff that is more economical than an MXL with GPS module

EVO4 system is 1199 and has GPS and CAN included, 1399 if you want a display. Same general price point as everyone else.

Echo what Jeremy said. Play with the software of the systems you're looking at. All of them have their quirks, annoying bits along with useful parts that mesh well with individual users.

I've used a bunch of them and have likes and dislikes for eachone. The Traqmate is the easiest one I've dealt with in regards to learning curve. The rest are equally less steep IMO but not too bad really. You really just need to spend the time to get comfortable with them.

Maybe, but I'm just so fed up with the AIM driver situation, having to plug in to d/l data, it was time for a move. Dealt with it again this weekend... continual dicking with USB driver installs, vs. pull the card from the DL1 and copy the file (ran both loggers on the car for comparision and training purposes)...

I think their technology is a little dated, and they've moved upmarket a bit, the support from Italy just seems lacking though the guys here in the US do their damndest to support (and are very good).
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

it is actually a little harder to use at first, but when you have become more experianced it can do so much more. But the most important reason to have Data is to share it with other drivers. You will get much faster by comparing your laps to someone who is faster.

I've got the DL1 along with the DASH 2 display. Not sure if the Trackmate has both but both of these add up $. Another question I've got is how to learn more about the data analysis. Race Technologies is in the UK and they have seminars there but not here. I've asked them to put one on in the East coast or to at lease provide us with the materials from one of their UK seminars. If there are a bunch of DL1 users out there with this same desire pipe up to them in the US so we can get some help. Al Seim.
    [email protected] is their US rep.