Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savannah Updates???

Default Savannah Updates???

Looks like a wet one in southern Georgia! Any news?
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

Yes......inquiring minds want to know!
    Gary Gentry
    NC Region
    #4 IT7/ITA
    2008 CCPS ITA Champion
    2008 SAARC IT-7 3rd Overall
    2009 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    2010 CCPS IT-7 Champion
    #4 Car>>>Sad State of Affairs

The weather was kind of hit or miss both days, but it was, roughly, wet in the morning qualifying and dry in the afternoon for the races, although the ITR/S/A/7 race Saturday had a few drops of rain. Kip Van Steenburg won handily both days overall in his ITR 944. On Saturday, Andrew Charbonneau started at the back and came flying through the field and was chasing Jason Owenby for the ITS win (both in Miatas). I got a good look since they lapped me on the final lap, and thought Owenby held him off, but the provisional results said Charbonneau came out on top. Maybe I need to have my eyes checked. Chuck Baader won ITA and was 4th OA ahead of Chuck Hines(ITS) and Mike Van Steenburg(ITA). The rest of the top 10 were McCandless, Karably and Earp. Gary Wilson started 8 places in front of me and I never was able to make it up, so he got IT7.

Sunday's race had a smaller field, plus a fair amount of mechanical issues with Owenby, Karably and McCandless all pulling off on track with major problems. Kip won ITR again. Baader again lead most of the way in ITA, but Mike got by him on the next to last lap and took the win. Chuck was next and took ITS. I believe Charles Perry and Michael Lacombe got the next two spots in ITS, but that's only from memory (which is no better than my eyesight). I would have started 10 spots ahead of Gary who blew a tire on his first Q lap, but I got nailed for sound (105 db, allegedly!) and started last instead. But I still lead the first few laps after Gary missed shift on the start. Then I got a bad run off the last turn and he got by. I stayed close, but ended a couple seconds back. On to VIR!

Jay Marlowe won ITB handily on Saturday, especially after a full course yellow trapped all the other IT cars a lap down. Will Perry also had a fairly easy win in ITC. On Sunday, Jay must have had some problems as he couldn't shake Perry and Michael Ulbrik in a very nice looking ITB MR2. Midway through they both passed Marlowe and left him behind, with Perry coming out first of the ITs and Ulbrik winning ITB.

The Saturday SM race was shortened by a black flag all, caused by an SM going wide off the last turn, then arcing back across to drill another SM and Jim Orr's SS Mini into the pit straight wall. The Mini and one of the SMs looked like writeoffs. Then after the restart, another SM got clipped and turned into the pit wall, then rolled a few times, ending up right in front of the tower on its roof. This became the first SCCA race I've actually seen stopped by a RED flag, followed shortly after by the checker. No apparent injuries in either episode, thankfully. There was a special driver's meeting for the SMs on Sunday morning and I heard the riot act was read. Seemed to work as I don't think there was even the usual carnage on Sunday.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

Bad weekend for Team Stinking Turd. Lost a hub on the trailer headed down, and didn't get there until 3 a.m. Saturday monring.

Neither of us (Dr. Earp or me) had rains, which were the ticket in Sat. qual. Qualled 5th in ITS on slicks, mid pack (I think we had 14 S cars), Ron was right behind me. Got a good start and got up to 3rd in S behind Owenby and Russ Boatwright (who had a nice run). Then the fun begin.

I caught Karably in the ITR 328, and got stuck behind him. I just couldn't pass. I felt like King Arthur and the Black Knight at the bridge -- you shall not pass! -- except I was the one with the flesh wounds. I stayed on his Karably's bumper -- too close -- for 5 laps and then looked down at my temps and saw more than I like (200 water and 190 oil, which is high for me). I was running lower weight oil and the pressure was lower than i'd like (I'm going back to 20w50), and I was getting a pressure drop in turn 6 that I did not like since I think I underfilled -- bone headed ove that.

So, after Hines and then Jeff M. caught and passed me while I was stuck behind the ITR car, and with the temps climbing and oil pressure dropping, I parked it after 6 laps.

Went to tow home Saturday night and had another flat leaving the track. Double yay!

Ron drove a good race but got stuck behind the ITR BMW as well.

We both really need to work on our Roebling skillz. I've run 21.9 there in his car, and 22.8 or something in mine, but I'm not consistent at all.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    B

I caught Karably in the ITR 328, and got stuck behind him. I just couldn't pass. I felt like King Arthur and the Black Knight at the bridge -- you shall not pass! -- except I was the one with the flesh wounds. I stayed on his Karably's bumper -- too close --
    You're not the only one that was held up there. There were four ITS cars piled up behind that BMW - you, Jeff M, myself, and Mark. You dropped out, leaving Jeff M, Mark, and I. It appeared that Karably was running around 26-27 or so which is slower than any of us would go. But, passing was nigh about impossible because of his straight line power. He also didn't seem to want to let the ITS crowd go, which I couldn't understand because the other ITR cars were long checked out. Vids will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    Jay Marlowe won ITB handily on Saturday, especially after a full course yellow trapped all the other IT cars a lap down. Will Perry also had a fairly easy win in ITC. On Sunday, Jay must have had some problems as he couldn't shake Perry and Michael Ulbrik in a very nice looking ITB MR2. Midway through they both passed Marlowe and left him behind, with Perry coming out first of the ITs and Ulbrik winning ITB.

Jay wasn't driving sunday. It was his crew workers sun Dustin on his novice permit sunday.

Thanks for the comments about the nice looking MR2, but you now what they say "what does that trophy look like?" I just need to find someway to get 20 more hp to the wheels and I will be on par with the Accords, and Jay, and maybe a few VW's
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Some ITS RRR SARRC Action

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4E2pX7Zjhw[/ame]

Default Great Weekend!

I really enjoyed racing with you guys this weekend.
    Hope to see you at Road Atlanta in July!

guys, my start on Sunday, note my high tech defroster..........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIZzqlth1nk[/ame]
    Charles Perry
    ITS #21 280zx

Man that turbo spools quick on that Z car!!
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

That was one hell of a start charles. Where's the nitrous
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Perry View Post
    guys, my start on Sunday, note my high tech defroster..........
    Awesome Charles, I didn't even know you were down for the weekend. I wish you could have run on Sat or us on Sun. How did Sunday's race end up?

Turbo? That's called TORQUE my friends.....

Charles got second according to Tom L above. Great start, and nice run Charles. Missed you on Saturday.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Turbo? That's called TORQUE my friends.....
    Before anyone gets excited and wants to re-class Charles's car you might best refer to it as low-RPM horsepower, horsepower being what we humans like to use as a unit of measure for doing Work.

Exactqmundo. Note once the green Miata and silver SE-R get spooled up the ZX wasn't so dominant.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Before anyone gets excited and wants to re-class Charles's car you might best refer to it as low-RPM horsepower, horsepower being what we humans like to use as a unit of measure for doing Work.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Chuck Hines told me he had good video of VanSteenburg and me playing during Sunday's race....Chuck, post please. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

thanks guys, it was fun,the turbo w/ nitros is a big help.......and works well......
    Chuck Hines won, I finished 2nd, the green Miata broke.
    Ron, I just drove up Sunday am, thought you were going to be there, Jeff M said ya'll disappeared during the night!
    Charles Perry
    ITS #21 280zx

Were just messin with you Charles--Good run. Looking forward to Memorial Day at CMP.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Rain and work scared us away. Plus, I was having some issues with the car again.....drat.

Memorial Day it is. See you guys there.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Perry View Post
    thanks guys, it was fun,the turbo w/ nitros is a big help.......and works well......
    Chuck Hines won, I finished 2nd, the green Miata broke.
    Ron, I just drove up Sunday am, thought you were going to be there, Jeff M said ya'll disappeared during the night!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8