Thread: Is there really any need...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    I use a compression gauge to phase a camshaft. The higher the compression (after inserting an offset key), is good; if low, insert key the other way. Kind of like a cheap dyno run.
    Hopefully not on your IT motor as that would be illegal. Phasing camshafts is illegal, as offset keys are only to be used to bring you back to stock timing.

not a bad idea though.. I have heard of some people doing just this (not in IT or SCCA for that matter) to dial back the compression numbers.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Ahhh.... figuring out what is up with an engine...

Been on that path for a bit... LMK if you want me to talk through the engine testing process process a bit. No expert as I thingk I need an expert now!
    BB
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)

Ok, so as if to make Greg's point, the leakdown showed a little more variance between cylinders. #1 was around 3%, #2 & #3 were 2%, and #4 was just over 5% (fwiw, comp #s were 179, 181, 184, 181). I've always heard anything over 5% is when you start worrying, but is the variance between the two middle cylinders and the #4 cylinder enough to be concerned?
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Not in my book, but see what you can find on your engine. For my car, that would be fine.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

(Cue Brit car jokes here...I would, but I'm just feeling lazy today... )

I wouldn't worry about it either as long as the compression is not leaking out of an exhaust valve. Did you listen to where it was leaking? You'd hear it leaking into the exhaust (exhaust valve), intake manifold (intake valve), or case/valve cover breather (rings).

It's most likely going out through the rings, though.

There was nothing coming out any of the exhaust ports (as near as I could tell); all the leakage seemed to be going into the engine. I'll keep an eye on it, but may go ahead and replace the exhaust springs & retainers anyway, since those seem to be a weak link on the KA motors.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5