Thread: Hi-Temp brake fluid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hi-Temp brake fluid

Some hi-temp brake fluids spec at 570 degrees others up to 600 or so. The price difference between the two are great. Do we require (ITA) fluids in the higher region or is it overkill.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Dan--Highly dependent on the car's weight, mechanical braking ability, speed, the track and the driver (as well as how fresh you keep the stuff).

You want the best fluids, but stuff that is a known quality.

You will get lots of opinions, but unless you have experienced fluid boil, I would say that you are OK with what you have.

I personally like a good DOT 4 and use Genuine Mercedes Benz Brake Fluid, but I am pretty sure its composition is ATE Gold.

Dan, if you're boiling ATE Blue/Amber-Gold (I use them alternating, to see when I've flushed out the old stuff) then you need to add cooling ducting. - GA

if you're boiling ATE Blue/Amber-Gold ........your using your bakes way to much. :~)

Touche!

I agree with Greg and Dan.

I've got a seriously brake challenged car, and run Castrol SRF just for the added small bit of protection. BUT, if you are boiling a "good" (550 plus dry boiling temp) fluid like ATE, Motul or Castrol, then you have a cooling issue you need to address.

Note also that the dry boiling point is less important than the wet, according to the "experts" anyway. Most brake fluid starts to absorb water the minute you crack it open and the dry boiling point isn't really that relevant.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I vote for Speed Bleeders (for one man shows like me), Blue,a nd a bleed every weekend. never even remotely had a challenge. Actually less so as I use the brakes less

BB
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)