Thread: Itb mustang?

Default Itb mustang?

Any thoughts on what would be the most competitive ITB Mustang

Default ITB Mustang

All is predicated on lightness.

Start with the earliest model ('79-'80) notch back, preferably one with the 6 3/4 in differential housing. Strip the car completely, insulation included, install cage with minimum tubing, 2.3 engine, 32/35 Weber carb, Cologne gear box, short exhaust pipe, no frills like Watts or Panhard, Convert the front bumper to the later one (Plastic), Plastic headlights, 13X6 Steel wheels (stock car, very light, offset to your request), Later brakes (larger), Alum rack bushings, Poly cell with electric pump.

Don't go crazy lowering the car. Only low enough for the front A arm to be parallel to the ground, or slanted down to the ball joint (preferable).

This will give a lighter than spec weight car, allowing you to actually balast the car to minimum weight.

Hope this gives you a starting point.

Incidentally, where in Ontario are you?

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Thanks for the help. I'm in Woodstock.

Incidentally, the points that I raised are the extremes in this build...you can build a good Mustang with the 7 1/2in rear, but the 6 3/4 will shed a few more pounds, again in a critical area.

We are not very far apart, since I live in Niagara Falls (area), USA.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

Is there a popular tire make & size for the ITB Mustang

I think tire make & size for the ITB Mustang is popular, just search and found

???

Hey "BILL", where exactly are you? Are you a WNYSCCA member?

Mr. BillF is extremely knowledgable about those particular Fords.

Contact him privately.

Cheers.

I'm in Woodstock,Ontario,I go the other direction to Waterford Hills,Michigan, altho I'd love to try Watkins Glen.

How do I identify the carb on my 1982 mustang, none of the numbers match the chilton manual?

Default Carb ID

Bill,

Is the carb original, or put on the car for racing?

The original (two barrel) is known as an Autolite/Holley, with an Autolite tag on the body, and "Holley" molded inside the float chamber. In actuality, it is a Weber design, copied with subtle mods from the Weber design.

Some Mustangs came with a single barrel carb, also an Autolite...not of Weber design.

See which you have, and we can talk.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

No tag,haven't had the top off, I think it is a Holley, is that good or bad?

Default Holley/ Weber

You should be able to see down the choke hornto see if it is a single barrel, or double barrel. I'll bet it is the two barrel. Stay away from the most current two barrel Autolite (emissions carb), as it has a smaller primary venturi (flows less). It is identifiable by the asymetrical cover...very obvious.

The Holley/Weber has 26/28mm venturi, with 34/36mm throttle bore sizes...same as the Weber 34/36 DGV, the alternate carb for many cars, including the Mustang. The differences between the Autolite 5200 and the DGV are many, but the internal sizes and replacement parts are the same. Most obvious difference is the choke horn size...DGV is larger. The 5200 is adaquate, but actually the DGV flows a bit more due to the larger choke horn size.

E-mail me at [email protected] for more information about carbs for this engine.

Bill
    Bill Frieder
    MGP Racing
    Buffalo, New York

I've got a set of 85 GT wheels (4 lug) with almost new Toyo RA-1 available if you need tires and wheels. Email me at [email protected] formore info.