Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who the he11 hit me?

Default Who the he11 hit me?

At NHMS friday April 9th in the second afternoon closed wheel practice session, I had just been flagged onto the track by the corner worker, passed an SRF in turn 2 and was braking / down shifting for turn 3 when I was rear ended, spun, hit again and thrown into the tire wall just at the turn. I was driving a Silver and Blue Autotechnic 325is, number 52.

Strangely, no one in my garage saw the actual hit even though they were all watching. We think it was a yellow Mustang that punted me into the wall. The guy didn't even come to the garage afterwards to see if I was ok, which I wasn't. The car needs an entire rear clip, plus we have to see about the frame. It was only a rental for me, which I was testing to buy.

I have raced for years in SRF and I understand that when you are on the track you're at your own risk, but to be coming into a hairpin turn on a rainy test day, with so much speed that you hit and possibly total another car simply does not make any sense.

Does anyone have any videos of that hit? I just want to see what happened.

Thanks....
    Last edited by LIRacer; 04-18-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Bruce Dalis
    Looking for an ITS car ... no more
    SRF Chasis 135 sold
    Nu Yawk

Sorry to hear about your incident. Not seeing who tagged you is a bummer. One of the reasons I have a camera mounted facing backwards. Have caught at least one punter!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by LIRacer View Post
    At NHMS friday April 9th in the second afternoon closed wheel practice session, I had just been flagged onto the track by the corner worker, passed an SRF in turn 2 and was braking / down shifting for turn 3 when I was rear ended, spun, hit again and thrown into the tire wall just at the turn. I was driving a Silver and Blue Autotechnic 325is, number 52.

Strangely no one in my garage saw the actual hit even though they were all watching. We think it was a yellow Mustang that hit me. The guy didn't even come to the garage afterwards to see if I was ok, which I wasn't. The car needs an entire rear clip, plus we have to see about the frame. It was only a rental for me, which I was testing to buy.

I have raced years in SRF and I understand that when you are on the track you're at risk, but to be coming into a hairpin turn on a rainy test day, with so much speed that you hit and possibly total another car simply does not make any sense.

Does anyone have any videos of that hit? I just want to see what happened.

Thanks....
    Have you checked with the corner workers. Last summer at LRP I got wacked after going under the bridge and the workers at station 11 had recorded the incident. Perhaps their chief may have a record of it. The person who hit me never came forward, either and I let it go as racing room but it shouldn't have happened either. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Have you checked with the corner workers. Last summer at LRP I got wacked after going under the bridge and the workers at station 11 had recorded the incident. Perhaps their chief may have a record of it. The person who hit me never came forward, either and I let it go as racing room but it shouldn't have happened either. Good luck!!
    bruce it was a test day. none of that applies.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Gotcha,Dick.......I missed that part...LOL

I wasn't there, but I understand your frustration. I hit another car at NHMS several years ago under similar circumstances--I have tried to talk with the driver a number of times and offerred apologies. It's the right thing to do, but I can understand that he never wants to talk to me. Hopefully the guy who hit you will step forward, but there's no way to make up for it.
    LD71

Quote Originally Posted by LD71 View Post
    I wasn't there, but I understand your frustration. I hit another car at NHMS several years ago under similar circumstances--I have tried to talk with the driver a number of times and offerred apologies. It's the right thing to do, but I can understand that he never wants to talk to me. Hopefully the guy who hit you will step forward, but there's no way to make up for it.
    LD71
    Wise of you to come forward and try to make amends. "Usually" goes a long way towards making up for an incident.

The estimate just came in, $8500 to repair.
    Bruce Dalis
    SRF Chasis 135 sold
    Nu Yawk

So bear with me for a second...

You find out who hit you - what changes?

It "doesn't make any sense" but that applies to everything we do after sending in our entry fee. How does knowing make anything different?

K

The estimate just came in, $8500 to repair.
    Wow! What the hell got damaged!!??

I would say that if you don't know whom the other party is by now, you will never know.

Did you walk around and look at the other cars at the event after your incident?
    Obviously, it is too late now.

I agree with Kirk, why does it matter now?

cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

.... The car needs an entire rear clip, plus we have to see about the frame. It was only a rental for me, which I was testing to buy.

Thanks....
    It was a rental, so he's liable for the damage as charged by the renter. So, they need to replace a lot of sufff it seems, and they need to make a profit = $8500..?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

When the labor isn't free, racing costs a lot more...

K

This is probably a bit calous, and I only have a few of the facts, but it sure seems you showed a lack of awareness in this situation. It may be completely the other guy's fault, or maybe you took his nose off at turn in? Maybe the SRF you just passed had a good view of the whole thing.

How does knowing make anything different?
    I'd want to know for serveral reasons. Maybe there's another side to the story and he/she has video showing that I made a mistake causing the wreck. The reality of situations can easily be skewed by ones own perspective. Or maybe the driver is just a jerk and you want to know to be especially cautious around them the next time. There are also other good reasons.

At some point I do agree it's gotta be chaulked up to just one of those things and put it behind you. Then again, that is a heafty bill!!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    ...it's gotta be chaulked up to just one of those things and put it behind you. Then again, that is a heafty bill!!
    I think where Kirk is going with this is that knowledge of the situation does not change that hefty bill. I may be wrong, but I'm inferring slight hints of a "this guy's gonna owe me some money!" kinda thing, something we all know is wrong...

And, at an $8500 repair bill, I'd suggest buying the whole damn car at the pre-arranged buy-out/total price, and either parting it out to recoup your money or repairing it yourself and keeping/selling it. You guys got all those details agreed-upon in advance...right...? - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    So bear with me for a second...

You find out who hit you - what changes?

It "doesn't make any sense" but that applies to everything we do after sending in our entry fee. How does knowing make anything different?

K
    It changes nothing. I'd like to see the hit so I can see what happened. Maybe I think I was hit harder than I was. Autotechnic found someone with a video. The offending car was a yellow mustang. I am waiting to get a copy.
    Bruce Dalis
    SRF Chasis 135 sold
    Nu Yawk

+1 (or is it 2 now) for buying the wrecked car. I'm betting a good 6K of that is bodyshop labor.
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

And, As I told Hendo the other day I've got a parts car with a perfect rear clip for $500, Should fix that up nice....come get it.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Damn the cost of living is HIGH in the upper NE!! I know a guy who bought a whole damn car for 2600.00 less engine & diff. That's a BMW 325is too.