Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
...wonder what will prompt you to say to everyone "I told you so on the Miata". When one wins the ITFest? Or the ARRC?
That's the best part, Andy: I won't have to. The moment it happens history will be vindicated, and pointing out the obvious is nothing more than salt in the wound (well, I'm sure I'll call my new BFF and taunt him, but I'll be calling you with congratulations.)

I'm on record from the moment that car was moved to ITA at that weight* as saying it will eventually be the car to beat.

Hardly dominant. CRX's and Teg's have been doing that for almost a decade.
...because the CRX'n and Tegua have been in development for over a decade. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that anyone began to look seriously at the Miata for Improved Touring (Spec Miata effectively killed that interest by at least five years), and in only limited cases (you, KvS, Cefalo). And, in only limited cases has the car seen widespread exposure (primarily, KvS). The development curve of the car is only now beginning to flatten out, and there's a lot of stuff left to learn.

I guess we should be using the E36 measuring stick, which is very fair.
Only in terms of potential, but not in terms of proper classification. I know you guys love to bring up the Bimmer as an example of class dominance, but it's actually better an example of poor classification. Any car can dominate when it's classified at 300(?) pounds lighter than its competition, based on reasonable performance measurements.

On the other hand, poor classification (vis-a-vis advantageous power-to-weight) usually reveals itself soon enough.

And Mac: I don't know why you keep tossing up the dissenters as "Miata Haters" (how about we call them "deniers" instead; same basic attitude: you disagree with the "settled classification" you're a "denier".) In point of fact in my own case, I'm far from being a "hater"; I love the damn car! I fell in love with that little roadster when they came out brandy new (and, since I used to work at the local Mazda dealership, lusting after RX-7s, helped my then-girlfriend buy one of the first ones to come into this country) I've personally owned several of them, have prepped one (so far) for racing, and I am consistently involved with them in various ways within the racing community. And, only this past weekend, I admitted - in public, with witnesses, no less - that I thought the car can be given responsibility for bringing in additional membership and competitors into our organization!

But that doesn't mean that I can't see the forest for trees, and recognize what I feel are basic mistakes and assumptions in classifications of the car in ITA. In fact, because I like the car and know it reasonably well - as do you guys - I can see the potential that I know you do, too. That doesn't mean I "hate" the car; at worst one can can call it "jealousy" for having such an awesome little rocket in such a (perceived?) advantageous position. I really don't think we disagree with that.

And, in fact, as I've alluded to in the past, I have plans to do exactly as you suggest and build one, simply because I believe that car is the one to have (though, I admit I personally tend to be one that leans windmill-tilting-ish when it comes to situations such as this...the oddball TR8 holds a distinct attraction to me, for some reason...or maybe it's just Jeff that attracts me...I get confused sometimes )

I can't say what Hoppe's (or others') motivations are, but you're really off-base with the "hating" stuff. In fact you're off 180 degrees...but I can empathize with your concerns, as if I were in the same position I'd also be worried about losing that advantage (I believe Nordwald was the one that finally, publicly admitted the advantage, stating - paraphrased - "that's why I bought the damn car!")

I'd love to see more of these cars build to the "T" and brought out to key events. We'll probably see Cefalo at IT Fest and ARRC again, and I'd love it for you guys to bring your "A" games to the CaddyShack Open - uh, I'm mean, the SCCA Runoffs - at the country's Dyno Proving Grounds, Road America.

"The truth will out", whatever it is...

GA

*Gulick called me the summer of 2005(?) to tell me they were moving the 1.8L M1 to ITA. I remember the conversation clearly, as I was leaning on the railing of a hotel in California, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. If I recall correctly, my first response to "we're moving the 1.8L Miata to ITA was "Cool...what weight?" and when told it what weight the response was "are you guys high...?" Then I got really pissed off at myself for selling - just two weeks prior - the 1.8L Spec Miata I'd built, all in an effort to concentrate on my NX that got moved to ITA the prior winter. I knew at that point I had a very limited window to get that car on the top step before development of the Miata caught up and made it irrelevant...so in that regard, I guess it was a "good" decision.

Regardless, my tune hasn't changed since, and there's no evidence to suggest it should.