Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miata for ITA

Sure, but at some point Andy will need to man up and get to a big event to prove his abilities. We know he has them, but every year we hear another excuse!
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Andy needs to come to IT Fest. I'll (probably) be there. Mosers will be there. /discussion

But I still think there's a good 10 different chassis in ITA that can win. Some just need the level of driver, preperation, and money put into one that the usual suspects have seen.
    You got to hand it to Kevin in that he doesn't just make a blanket statement that one car is THE CAR in ITA. The driver and his ability at a certain track has a huge influence. I think that the miata is starting to gain some as more are coming back to "A". If you can string a couple of them together and the drivers are top level, the draft helps. But true to Kevin's words, there are several cars that can win in "A".
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Kevin, you really need to come to Roebling in two weeks...I would love to hear your assessment of that track. Should only be about a 20 hour pull for you, but what do you care....you have a chauffeurCB
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I'm getting big chuckle out of the non-Miata drivers saying how fast the Miata is, while all the Miata drivers come out of the woodwork to say how fast it's not...!

That, right there, pretty much says it all...

why don't you go build one and let us know how it goes when you're done.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

With Greg and Co., I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I'm getting big chuckle out of the non-Miata drivers saying how fast the Miata is, while all the Miata drivers come out of the woodwork to say how fast it's not...!

Ok, put the money down..even odds. Andy or another 'theoretical" top notch Miata/driver at Lime Rock, or Joe Moser. (Given that Joe brings Zellner (King motorsports)as a crew boss, and they run a minimum of a Tuesday to set up, just to be fair)

(hope I'm not pissing Bob off by not using him as the CRX guy!)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

reminds me of the same stuff you spouted off about re; ITS GSR. how'd that work out for ya?
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Like moths to a lamp.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    reminds me of the same stuff you spouted off about re; ITS GSR. how'd that work out for ya?
    Remind me of those "spouts", Nord, and I'll be glad to explain...Oh, wait; you mean when, after having driven a Honda Integra for the first time in 2007, I said that it was probably the best-handling front-wheel-drive car I'd ever raced (and it is)? And then I noted it should be winning championships (like, for example, the '08 and '09 ARRC)? And how I thought the chassis, having been proved competitive in ITA, should be reasonably-competitive in ITS, given good prep (which was borne out by illustration of very good potential in the NE in 2008, as well as Zsolt's impressive run at the ARRC in '09)?

You mean that, Nord?

Or maybe you're referring to other predictions I've made that have proven correct? You know, like the fact that I predicted the 1.8L Miata will put out over 140 wheel horsepower on a Dynapack (which we've already done, and no you will never ever ever see our dyno sheets to find out just how far "over" - and, like the potato chips, it "ain't just one")?

Or could you be "back-handedly" referring to the statement I made back in 2001 when I started to build a Nissan NX2000 ("...a WHAT...?) and stated, publicly and clearly, that I thought the car belonged in ITA and should it get put there it will probably win the ARRC (you know, like the '06 one)?

That part, too, Travis?

So what you're ACTUALLY saying is "I, Travis Nordwald, agree that The Greg Amy has historically proven himself correct in his predictions and, given that pretty-much-undeniable fact, when The Greg Amy says the 1.8L Miata is probably a class-killer, he's most like right.

And, when he finally does build one - much to my chagrin, fear, and loathing - and proves himself to be correct and me wrong, I will show myself man enough to admit it."

Does that about cover it, Travis...? If not, let me know, I can certainly keep going...

Your BFF,

tGA

P.S. Personally, I'm flattered that things "remind" you of me. That means there's opportunity for our relationship to grow...I'm actually looking forward to that...

Let's let the people who have actually built them comment on stuff as data. That would be a nice change.

And Billiel - how about you shut up? If you would like to FINANCE my trip to MO or RA, I will load up and go anywhere. Dope.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Remind me of those "spouts", Nord, and I'll be glad to explain...Oh, wait; you mean when, after having driven a Honda Integra for the first time in 2007, I said that it was probably the best-handling front-wheel-drive car I'd ever raced (and it is)? And then I noted it should be winning championships (like, for example, the '08 and '09 ARRC)? And how I thought the chassis, having been proved competitive in ITA, should be reasonably-competitive in ITS, given good prep (which was borne out by illustration of very good potential in the NE in 2008, as well as Zsolt's impressive run at the ARRC in '09)?
    How is that a 'prediction' when it had already won the ARRC TWICE prior to 2007 (Alex and Anthony)?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I love it when you talk dirty to me, Andy...

And you have a great point: wasn't much of a prediction on those 'Tegs, then, was it? Actually, seems pretty damned obvious in hindsight, yes? So maybe I'm not such an amazing prognosticator; maybe I'm simply stating the plainly obvious. Make you wonder about all those other "obvious" things, then don't it...?

Thus, I guess I'm also a bit confused about my BFF's point above... Hey, Trav: "MIATA"!

But, you're absolutely right, Andy: let's let the folks that have actually built them comment on their capabilities...(hey, wait a sec, didn't that Planet what's-his-name guy...? Can't be. And doesn't what's-his-name with a 'Pack build engi....nah, I must be loopy...isn't there like three or four other....? Nope, no way...)

Yep, the rest of us should simply - what was it, Andy? - "shut up".

Last edited by Greg Amy; 04-13-2010 at 08:04 PM.

It sure seems to me that the miata haters (take note here Tom & Greg) who throw out this class killer stuff would want the best equipment and get one. There are many for sale (SMs) that with some mods could be a top of the miata heap ITA car. You guys are well respected drivers in the community and would qualify as a Top car to Top driver combination that SHOULD EITHER PROVE THE MIATA IS THE ITS BMW OF THE "A" CLASS or that it is just one of several good "A" cars. The beauty of this is the car will still hold value even if you prove you were right and we were all wrong.
    But as long as you guys want to sit back in your Honda or Nissan cars and throw paper bags full of bullshit at the poor little girls car, it is just a cry of wolf.
    Heck Tom, why not rent one of ISCs top miatas and see for yourself from that side of the dash.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Mac's right on that last sentence. Rent one of Mike's cars and see what he's got. He doesn't care -- he'll rent you the very car he drives.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Let's let the people who have actually built them comment on stuff as data. That would be a nice change.

And Billiel - how about you shut up? If you would like to FINANCE my trip to MO or RA, I will load up and go anywhere. Dope.
    Andy how will I respond if I need to shut up <BIG GRIN>?

Dood... I was giving you a compliment on your driving and simply said that until you race at the big races you will forever be stuck in the why does everyone hate the Miata club.
    Jeremy Billiel

Andy has had excuses for a while as to why he won't go to the IT Fest or the ARRC. Now it seems to be a money issue. Yeah, it can be expensive, we spent around 10,000 last year with 2 cars to do the Fest. Most of that was crash damage to one car, blown motor in the other and Dr. bills. Say maybe a budget of 4000 for one car to do it all out, practice day etc.

I'm willing to write a check for 500 to Andy if he can get other backers. The only condition would be that he pays it back if he doesn't win.

Come on Andy it really is a fun weekend, good racing, good people. Wish we could have enjoyed it more.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

hey greg, i meant the time you said how everyone who drives a ITS GSR and isn't winning sucks and how you were going to completely dominate everyone. that might've happened in time, but you decided it was a better idea to plow into the side of a miata instead.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

wowza!~

As for me, I think top dog balls to the walls CRX vs same in Miata would be a knock out good race at LRP. I honestly don't know where I'd put my $$$$...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Trav, you don't even get facts straight when you have direct evidence, so it's kinda pointless to put any credibility on your "spouts" (that was your word, wasn't it?) based on what little (no?) experience you actually have...but don't worry, I won't let that affect our friendship, BFF (and I promise I won't edit, delete, or move your posts when I may disagree with them)!

MIATA! (<-- doing my best "Red Dawn" impression)

GA, looking out the bedroom window at a little red hardtop roadster...

On edit: Dan, you're a bad, bad man. Either that, or you've not been paying attention...Ruck got it right: moths -> lamp.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 04-14-2010 at 06:38 AM.