Thread: Just bought an ITC 85 Civic...

Default Just bought an ITC 85 Civic...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Got a heck of a deal, IMHO--$700!

It's an 85. Just towed it home this week to Columbus, OH, from Maryland.

Fair warning--I will be peppering this forum with questions occasionally...

One quick one entered my mind today, as I pulled back the duct tape on the front. No headlamps! Just riveted aluminum covers...

So, I'm wondering if I can update to the later headlamps--IIRC the 86/87 lamps were more of a flushmount, right? Any other changes needed to "make" this car an "86" in the eyes of the ITCS? Perhaps a CHMSL?

Thanks!

Chris
    steamcorners.com

Cheap import parts!

Congrats!! I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm wandering where in Maryland you bought the car from? I live in MD and don't know a whole lot of people that race. although I did see a SSM being towed home with lots of damage on the way to work today.

Congrats, have fun!!
    Steven

The car came from Pasadena, MD, and hadn't been run in a couple years--and hadn't been on track for much longer. Waiting on logbook to confirm--the owner gave me a logbook for a different car...
    steamcorners.com

Cheap import parts!

Chris,
    The 84-87 Civic is all on the same spec line, so I don't think it matters which headlights you run. If you do go with the 86-87 ones, you'll have to replace the header panel too as its also different. If you just want some 84-85 headlights, I have a set of those sitting on my shelf collecting dust.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Crap, forgot about the "same spec line" thing...I might have to take you up on the headlight offer, Kevin...
    steamcorners.com

Cheap import parts!

Chris,

get kev's lights or just put the duct tape back on................

it will be a while before you are contending for the win.

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    Chris,

get kev's lights or just put the duct tape back on................

it will be a while before you are contending for the win.

tom
    Tom--I know I'm not winning anytime soon--hell, I won't be able to make it to a driver's school until next spring! But I want to correct the things that are clearly illegal. I'm not going to pull the head and measure the cams to make sure the P.O. didn't put something funky in there yet, but I don't want to invite hassles, either. I figure if I'm going to be stripping the car down to inspect it before I head on track, I'd better correct the glaring issues as I come across them. It's not like I'll have too many issues sourcing parts. . .
    steamcorners.com

Cheap import parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Steam Corners View Post
    I'm not going to pull the head and measure the cams to make sure the P.O. didn't put something funky in there yet, but I don't want to invite hassles, either.
    Little time with a compression gage and a run or two on a dyno would be quicker and easier to tell if something's going on in there that shouldn't be. If you hook it up and it's putting down like 95whp, than yeah, something funky is in there. Hell, 85whp would be a strong number in one of those. Awww, ITC cars are so cute!

Kevin, who still gets a serious kick out of driving ITC cars.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by Steam Corners View Post
    Tom--I know I'm not winning anytime soon--hell, I won't be able to make it to a driver's school until next spring! But I want to correct the things that are clearly illegal. I'm not going to pull the head and measure the cams to make sure the P.O. didn't put something funky in there yet, but I don't want to invite hassles, either. I figure if I'm going to be stripping the car down to inspect it before I head on track, I'd better correct the glaring issues as I come across them. It's not like I'll have too many issues sourcing parts. . .
    i'll be bringing two heads and two distributors plus a block or so. good for cores at least. oh, and an intake.

what carb are you running on that thing?
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post

what carb are you running on that thing?
    Stock carb for now--though the previous owner thinks it is the carb that is keeping it from running. Might try and find a DMTR or DGV among the Fiats at the junkyard to fiddle with...
    steamcorners.com

Cheap import parts!