Thread: Window net mounting

Default Window net mounting

I am getting my car ready for the season and I'm having a difficult time finding a good solution to mount the bottom of the window net. The last time I raced this car was back in 2002 and I used a seat belt latch. Reading the rules now, it says that the net has to drop down instead of having it flip up on the roof.
    I have been looking for some kind of web strap that I could use but haven't been able to find one with metal buckels.
    So what do you have that works?
    Thanks
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

I use the seat belt buckle on a bar for the top, then use a flat bar on the bottom:

The 3" belt holds the front of the bar and the back is bolted to piviot down and out of the way.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 04-07-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I'm having the same problem. I'm going to put a seatbelt latch on top as well. That way, if I flip over, then I'll still have the bottom buckle I can unbuckle the net from, allowing the window net to fall out of my way to get out, and the workers way to provide help if I need it.

Steven

Where did you find that strap with the metal buckle?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Custom order a taller net. Try M&R.

They are not very expensive.

For the bucke my friend removed it from a school bus that he uses for towing. You can cut one end of the strap and just get the metal peice. Then cut excess bracketry that you don't need (stuff used for adjusting belt length) then weld the metal buckle to the top roll bar (same as it should be for the bottom) For the top buckle, it's cut from the same bus seatbelt buckle. The seatbelt doubles through a whole in a buckle and is stitched back over itself, this makes a natural loop to put over the bar on the window net. You can take the seatbelt and buckle from any vehicle too.
    I hope this made sense,
    Steve

That's pretty much what I had before on the bottom rod of the net. I used an old seat belt for the bottom and a spring loaded rod for the top. I guess as long as it releases from the top too, they shouldn't have an issue with it?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

That's what I'm thinking. I know people that have their window nets like that, so It will pass tech. make sure your cage is legal too. It needs to have a diagonal bar going accross the top bars. That rule was added after '02. I had to check my cage to make sure it was legal

Steven

Like diagonal under the roof? I missed that rule........ Ralf, are you getting your annual tech @ MAM on the 16th?

Edit: Mark Ross drinks budweiser/ Chris S, I dont know what she drinks.....but she likes hugs!
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 04-07-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Yeah, look in your GCR, page 156 section D. as my dad said "put a 6 pack in the seat and you'll be OK"

Steven

Sure their not talking about the main hoop diagonal? I am looking at a 2009 GCR.... Beverages do get you a long way...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

in my 2010 GCR, the roll cage rules are titled "2007 Roll Cage Rules. Ohhh, just looked at it. I thought the rear bar extanding backwards was a diagonal bar accross the top. Doh!

Steven

Oh well, my car has a diagional roof bar now......JK...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Any suggestions on a good window net? Any that I should stay away from? It has been years since I purchased a new one!

Stephen

Well, the one I just installed is a 1inch web G-force, I tried the mesh/string style, and didn't like it....Safety Racing has a net that has a piece that fills up the A pillar gap if you don't have wing windows, I don't know if it SFI date tagged....
    I like cheap! But would prefer arm restraints instead of net, if we had the option....
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

M&R--Mesh Type. And as I said before, they will make one to your dimensions, angles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lael Cleland View Post
    Like diagonal under the roof? I missed that rule........ Ralf, are you getting your annual tech @ MAM on the 16th?

Edit: Mark Ross drinks budweiser/ Chris S, I dont know what she drinks.....but she likes hugs!

Was going to call one of them earlier then that so that I have time to fix anything they find wrong. Classroom session Friday night and then bright and early on Sat, so wouldn't have time to fix anything. Just need to finish the window net mounting. Figured out that I can use my old harness crotch belt after cutting the tab off of it.
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

That's what I did on this miata....Croch/sub belt works well, and it has a date....(02)
    So Mitch S rented my Miata, I sold My ITA scirocco to Justin, I have an ITB rabbit, you have a golf, WE will all be in class together!

P.S. I am bringing a 120v flux core welder & RV with generator just in case...
    Last edited by Lael Cleland; 04-08-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: stuff forgot....
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Just as long as the net is SFI rated. M+R nets are good. I would prefer the webbing vs. Mesh type, but it's up to you. I definately prefer arm restraints over a windown net, they're just easier to deal with, and it takes less time to get out of the car b/c you're not fiddling with the net.
    Good luck at your school guys!!
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    I use the seat belt buckle on a bar for the top, then use a flat bar on the bottom:

The 3" belt holds the front of the bar and the back is bolted to piviot down and out of the way.
    Any chance of getting more info/pictures of how you set up that front strap mount? Did you use an old sub-belt as mentioned?

Thanks!

- rob