Thread: Window net mounting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Window net mounting

I am getting my car ready for the season and I'm having a difficult time finding a good solution to mount the bottom of the window net. The last time I raced this car was back in 2002 and I used a seat belt latch. Reading the rules now, it says that the net has to drop down instead of having it flip up on the roof.
    I have been looking for some kind of web strap that I could use but haven't been able to find one with metal buckels.
    So what do you have that works?
    Thanks
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

I use the seat belt buckle on a bar for the top, then use a flat bar on the bottom:

The 3" belt holds the front of the bar and the back is bolted to piviot down and out of the way.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 04-07-2010 at 10:31 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I'm having the same problem. I'm going to put a seatbelt latch on top as well. That way, if I flip over, then I'll still have the bottom buckle I can unbuckle the net from, allowing the window net to fall out of my way to get out, and the workers way to provide help if I need it.

Steven

Where did you find that strap with the metal buckle?
    Ralf
    ITB Golf GT

Custom order a taller net. Try M&R.

They are not very expensive.

For the bucke my friend removed it from a school bus that he uses for towing. You can cut one end of the strap and just get the metal peice. Then cut excess bracketry that you don't need (stuff used for adjusting belt length) then weld the metal buckle to the top roll bar (same as it should be for the bottom) For the top buckle, it's cut from the same bus seatbelt buckle. The seatbelt doubles through a whole in a buckle and is stitched back over itself, this makes a natural loop to put over the bar on the window net. You can take the seatbelt and buckle from any vehicle too.
    I hope this made sense,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    I use the seat belt buckle on a bar for the top, then use a flat bar on the bottom:

The 3" belt holds the front of the bar and the back is bolted to piviot down and out of the way.
    Any chance of getting more info/pictures of how you set up that front strap mount? Did you use an old sub-belt as mentioned?

Thanks!

- rob