Thread: Getting started with a VW in IT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Getting started with a VW in IT

Hey guys new to IT but not to racing. I'd like to buy or build a VW of some sort for IT, on the cheapo if possible. Looking at ITA and ITB due to large field size and operating costs. Any ideas on what would be good? Saw a bunch of ITB VW's for sale, but not much as far as ITA. Seems just by digging through old race results that the VW's fare better in ITB and ITA is owned by Mazda.

Would also be open to using it at some point for hillclimb or maybe event rally cross. Trackdays and enduros for sure.

I'm in New England Region.(for now)

The only ITA VW options are pretty much outclassed, although a full-tilt (e.g., not on the cheapo) 2.0 16v Golf might be an interesting 'challenge.'

The MkII and MkIII Golfs are well positioned in B. I'd recommend the latter, because of their torque and the fact that they are just newer so one generation farther from being a vintage race car. That said, the TRULY affordable answer would be to buy an already prepared MkII 1.8 Golf. There are lots of them around and there's NO way you could duplicate most of them for the money. If you can find someone to help you shop, who knows the rules, you'll be more likely to dodge bad decisions.

Kirk

Corrado VR6 in ITS!

Seriously, what Kirk said.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

^I wish! Is there any reason, other than age to steer clear of an MK1? GCR min weight is 200-300lbs less than MK2 and 3.

Kirk, how does the IV fare comared to the III? With bigger front brakes, is it a better option?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I'm pretty sure that's the only difference between the MkIII and MkIV but we've NEVER had trouble with the brakes on the MKIII, even in enduros. We'll do the VIR 13 on one set of Blues on the front, and still have pad left for several sprint race weekends. In fact, I've thrown away partially used fronts because I got tired of moving them.

The tie breaker for me at THIS point - III vs IV - would be rust. The Golf III is a notorious rust bucket. the IV might be inherently better(?) and is now old enough that donors are getting cheap enough to make sense.

K

Quote Originally Posted by speedlife View Post
    ^I wish! Is there any reason, other than age to steer clear of an MK1? GCR min weight is 200-300lbs less than MK2 and 3.
    People will tell you that they just won't make the power. If your goal is literally to just get out there and have fun however, that might be a great choice.

K

Nobody thought the VR6 could compete and it did. I often wonder about the 2.0 16V car in ITA. ITB and ITC have plenty of VW options.

ITA can be won by a CRX, Miata, Integra, Saturn, NX2000, SE-R...all in New England, all in the past 2 years!

Welcome to IT in NER! It's a great group...
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 04-05-2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967