Thread: Looking for mentors - autox, hpdes, w2w racing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There's really nothing on the web site yet - just the Mentor Program sign-up. That's probably OK for folks who know Dave, for those of us who don't I kinda wonder what's up. So, what's up with the web site?

OK, I figured it out. The bulletin board stuff (.php) isn't up and working and that's where the mentor sign-up is. The main web site is up and has info. Sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by betamotorsports; 03-30-2010 at 11:52 AM.

John,
    A while back I proposed to SCCA (national and a few regions) that they develop a mentor program. For various reasons, it wasn't something that they chose to pursue.

Over the past several months I've been working on transforming the content of a book I wrote about how a person can realistically start participating in motorsports (autox, HPDEs, Time Trials, & Club Racing) into a free online resource. As I moved further with the project, once again the concept of a mentor program seemed like a missing piece. Since it so closely correlates to what I've been working on, with some encouragement from others I decided to give it a go.

The new site is nearly complete and should be ready to be launched in the next month or so at which time students can begin to enroll.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I just signed up. Here's something terrifying, though: next year, I'll be mentoring my son at autocrosses. How the hell did that happen?

Steve

Just think though, soon enough he'll be mentoring you.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Just think though, soon enough he'll be mentoring you.
    LOL - good point!

Signed up. Its a good idea.

Can't wait for my boy to get into it. He sorta like cars - definitely a Corvette fan. He certainly likes to goof on Porsches... Already offered to buy him a Vette to work on but he's not biting yet. (the kid is 12) He does have fastest lap around our go-kart track.

My daughter Corinna - she's already run over her brother and left treadmarks on him - she thought he was there for traction. This girl will be an animal on the track - already picked out her pink GT3 for graduation - more like a Golf if she's lucky! Got that fear and intimidation thing down already but not the handling skills...she's only 10.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    ..... already picked out her pink GT3 for graduation - more like a Golf if she's lucky! ...she's only 10.
    jeez, I asked for a set of sockets. I got a Vice Grip. LOL
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com