Thread: Looking for mentors - autox, hpdes, w2w racing

Default Looking for mentors - autox, hpdes, w2w racing

I'm getting closer to launching the mentor program and new website. Before I can make the "application" for students, I need to obtain some mentors for various forms of motorsports including autocross, HPDEs, time trials, and/or Club Racing.

If you have experience in any of these areas, sign-up! I'm totally serious when I say you'll enjoy helping others begin their addiction and it will not take much of your time. For most students, just knowing they can speak with someone for a few minutes is extremely reassuring. I remember how confusing and intimidating it was when I started racing - don't you?

To enroll as a mentor, please complete the short form located at:
    http://goaheadtakethewheel.com/mentor.php

(The rest of the site is still being worked on but will be released in the next month or so.)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

I haven't checked out what Dave is up to here...I don't have to. Great stuff Dave, you are giving selflessly to the sport.

I signed up. Well, to test the site...nobody would want me as a mentor!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks Jake. I'm a little nervous about starting this program and getting enough mentors signed up (hint, hint ). SCCA said they'll post an announcement when we're ready to start accepting students.

Here's a bit more information that might help...

Your time commitment: Honestly, not much. The goal is to have someone a noob can contact either via e-mail and/or phone (totally up to you) to talk to about some of the basics. Basically just be someone a person new to racing can get some reassurance from.

The point of this is not for you to walk a person through every step of getting out on the track nor coach them on driving technique. This will be clearly stated to people on the student application. In the next month or so, I'll be putting up the contents of the book I wrote online for people to access for free which details many of the steps necessary for them to get out there. (I should probably also note there will also be no charge for students to enroll into the mentor program.)

Level of experience you need to have: If you've gotten out on the autox course or race track a few times, you can absolutely help!

If at any point you want to be removed from the list, have questions or need some advice with something related to your student, or feel that your student would be a better match for someone else for whatever reason, that won't be a problem.

Please take a moment to think back to when you first started and how just a small amount of reassurance can truly make a difference. Below is a link to the brief form for you to complete. Thank you for your support with this!
    Last edited by gran racing; 03-28-2010 at 07:12 AM.
    Dave Gran

Submitted my info - good work!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

You're gonna have more mentors than needy candidates, I bet. Great idea.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

That's a really tough one to call. Trying to find the balance will be a challenge.
    Dave Gran

Also matching up students with mentors in the same part of the country. I have added my info to your website.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I will work to match people based on the club(s) they want to participate and try to include geographic location as well, but that won't be a deal breaker IMO if that's not possible. The overall goal is to make people gain some level of comfort since I imagine all (with maybe some exceptions if a mentor chooses to) will be done via e-mail or phone.

I want to thank those of you who have volunteered to become a mentor. It's awesome to see this many people willing to help people new to the sport!!
    Dave Gran

just signed up. would be more than glad to help.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

There's really nothing on the web site yet - just the Mentor Program sign-up. That's probably OK for folks who know Dave, for those of us who don't I kinda wonder what's up. So, what's up with the web site?

OK, I figured it out. The bulletin board stuff (.php) isn't up and working and that's where the mentor sign-up is. The main web site is up and has info. Sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by betamotorsports; 03-30-2010 at 11:52 AM.

John,
    A while back I proposed to SCCA (national and a few regions) that they develop a mentor program. For various reasons, it wasn't something that they chose to pursue.

Over the past several months I've been working on transforming the content of a book I wrote about how a person can realistically start participating in motorsports (autox, HPDEs, Time Trials, & Club Racing) into a free online resource. As I moved further with the project, once again the concept of a mentor program seemed like a missing piece. Since it so closely correlates to what I've been working on, with some encouragement from others I decided to give it a go.

The new site is nearly complete and should be ready to be launched in the next month or so at which time students can begin to enroll.
    Dave Gran

I just signed up. Here's something terrifying, though: next year, I'll be mentoring my son at autocrosses. How the hell did that happen?

Steve

Just think though, soon enough he'll be mentoring you.
    Dave Gran

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Just think though, soon enough he'll be mentoring you.
    LOL - good point!

Signed up. Its a good idea.

Can't wait for my boy to get into it. He sorta like cars - definitely a Corvette fan. He certainly likes to goof on Porsches... Already offered to buy him a Vette to work on but he's not biting yet. (the kid is 12) He does have fastest lap around our go-kart track.

My daughter Corinna - she's already run over her brother and left treadmarks on him - she thought he was there for traction. This girl will be an animal on the track - already picked out her pink GT3 for graduation - more like a Golf if she's lucky! Got that fear and intimidation thing down already but not the handling skills...she's only 10.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    ..... already picked out her pink GT3 for graduation - more like a Golf if she's lucky! ...she's only 10.
    jeez, I asked for a set of sockets. I got a Vice Grip. LOL
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

I've sigend up, then forwarded a link to Steve Staveley. Net result is looks like you'll have a link from Cal-Club's web page on the getting started page
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

That's sweet! Thanks James.

I need to put together some type of release to send out to regions, then to various publications but keep looking at the blank white screen waiting for something to happen. Nothing. Then still nothing. Maybe later with some beer?
    Dave Gran