Thread: Impact Racing Products, was: "Very disturbing thread"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time will tell
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

I do not know if this is the case but if SFI works like another trade organization that I work with, they are funded as a % of sales of certified products. The certifying organization tracks sales by selling their labels. Soooo, if Mr Simpson provides his own labels, SFI doesn't know how much he is producing, therefore he isn't assessed the SFI fee's for his production.

Of course there could be other reasons, such as SFI had a delay on supplying labels. Or maybe they were producing materials in china and they didn't want to bother with shipping labels over there. Who knows. The one thing is for sure is that there was a SFI listing for the product, as the listing on the SFI site is the controlling aspect, not the label. If Impact was making products without listing, they would quite possibly be looking at criminal charges. But I doubt it, that's just too stupid/crooked.

I come back to the most reasonable answer is either they did it to avoid fees, or to deal with some label supply or timing problem. If that was they case, the materials produced are likely just like the certified ones, but SFI didn't get their fees for them, hence their anger. My expectation is that Impact will settle acounts with SFI and all will be forgiven.

Please read the attached.

From SCCA:

Per the attached press release, products manufactured by Impact Racing, LLC prior to 2009 are decertified and do not meet the criteria for SCCA competition as required by our General Competition Rules (GCR). Drivers who have purchased items from Impact Racing, LLC that do not have a date in them should contact Impact Racing, LLC to obtain a letter confirming the manufactured date of their items. If the date of manufacture is prior to 2009, it is the driver’s responsibility to correct the situation. SCCA is delaying enforcement of the decertification pending further evaluation. More information will be shared as it becomes available. In the interim each driver should evaluate their personal use of the affected equipment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Note that I did ask the question of products that carried both SFI and FIA certification. National was not aware of that situation (I know of at least one driver's suit, mine) and is looking into what the ruling might be.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rowe View Post
    Note that I did ask the question of products that carried both SFI and FIA certification. National was not aware of that situation (I know of at least one driver's suit, mine) and is looking into what the ruling might be.
    If it has a FIA certification then it does not matter if the SFI sticker is valid or not. You are very lucky.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

The wording on the press release is a little vague, although I know you and National are working on how to best clarify that.

And luck has nothing to do with it, I paid extra when I bought the suit to have the FIA certification sewn in. Seemed like cheap insurance considering the issues that seem to swirl around SFI.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

if i had a $500 suit that i thought was good from a performance perspective but was being tossed because of a labeling fee issue, i would drop $50 and have a local embroidery shop add a FIA logo........

i guess the lesson from this is to only buy equipment with both logos because you never know.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Roth View Post
    ............. My expectation is that Impact will settle acounts with SFI and all will be forgiven.
    not quite but this looks pretty close?

from Racerlinn's post at the sandbox:

Maybe this got missed, but:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...es-court-stay/

"This ruling means all Impact products manufactured in 2009 and 2010, currently certified as SFI compliant, remain certified. In addition, after June 22, 2010, Impact can continue to manufacture and certify its products as SFI compliant."

"Monday’s decision follows a hearing last month in Indianapolis, which Simpson and several high profile witnesses such as Tony George, Johnny Rutherford and Chip Ganassi spoke on his behalf and raised questions about SFI’s procedures."
    not sure what the author meant about "business as usual"
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL