Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact Racing Products, was: "Very disturbing thread"

Default Impact Racing Products, was: "Very disturbing thread"

Apexspeed has a thread related to SFI severing all ties with Impact Racing since they produced fake SFI stickers for all their equipment for many years. I believe Bill Simpson is the CEO of Impact Racing. If you go to their website there is no mention of the issue.

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39279

Per SFI:

SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Oh boy another smear thread!!! WTF OVER

They decided not to make it immediately but the date is April 27th. I can say my Impact belts worked in over a 25g crash, sfi or not.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    They decided not to make it immediately but the date is April 27th. I can say my Impact belts worked in over a 25g crash, sfi or not.

matt
    Matt...I think the issue is "would you have purchased their equipment if you knew it was not SFI approved,knowing that you you could purchase other equipment that was" How would non SFI equipment affect your tech inspection? I don't know the answer.

Of course I would not have bought the belts without SFI as they have to be SFI or FIA to run SCCA. I can tell you if you have an annual after April 27th with Impact belts you will have to replace them before racing.

matt

The bigger one is the Impact Driver Suits will no longer be SFI.

matt

why would they do this? it makes no sense whatsoever. if you have to make product to certain standards, then they meet and pass those standards. i guess they just didn't want to pay SFI their royalty on the product.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

http://www.sfifoundation.com/

March, 2010
    March 26, 2010 - NOTICE OF DECERTIFICATION; NOTICE TO CEASE AND DESIST AND TERMINATION OF ALL CONTRACTS OF PARTICIPATION ISSUED TO IMPACT RACING
    SFI Foundation, Inc., has issued a Notice of Decertification; Notice of Cease and Desist, and a notice terminating all Contracts of Participation to Impact Racing. Effective April 27, 2010, all products manufactured and/or distributed by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specification Programs 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 are decertified. Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches, and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports. Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community. To SFI’s knowledge, Impact never advised its customers that its products contained phony SFI labels and patches. Impact never advised SFI of its systematic and longstanding practice of counterfeiting and distributing SFI patches and labeling.
    Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI.
    SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.
    SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period.
    SFI has taken these actions in the best interests of the safety and integrity of the racing community. This is in keeping with SFI’s mission and purpose.
    For a downloadable .pdf of this notice, please click on the following link: Decertification Notice 03-26-10.
    i still want to know what did SFI know and when. they would seem to have some responsibility in this because they should have had some idea of how many labels they sell to Impact vs. their volumes and market share.

after all, this was not SFI's first run-in with Impact.

July, 2009
    July 19, 2009 - NOTICE OF TEMPORARY PRODUCT DECERTIFICATION. Effective July 9, 2009: Pursuant to SFI Test Laboratory reports, SFI Foundation, Inc. has reason to believe that certain Impact Racing products manufactured in the year 2007 do not fully comply with the minimum standards set forth in the SFI Specification 3.2A Program. Therefore, pursuant to Section 12.0 of the program, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, and UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, any and all driver suits, pants, and jackets manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Spec 3.2A/15 and 3.2A/20 at any time during the year 2007 are hereby TEMPORARILY DECERTIFIED by SFI Foundation, Inc. This temporary decertification applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, upgraded, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This temporary decertification applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI label affixed to the product. The date of manufacture of the product is determinative.
    This decertification is temporary and will remain in effect until further notice from SFI. The manufacturer has challenged SFI’s findings in this matter and is conducting its own review of the findings and the full compliance of the products in question. SFI’s investigation continues. This decertification may be modified, withdrawn, or made permanent
    March, 2009
    March 20, 2009 - IMPACT RACING PRODUCT RECALL. Any and all driver suits, pants, jackets, shoes and boots manufactured by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specifications 3.2A/15, 3.2A/20, 3.3/15 and 3.3/20 at any time during the year 2008 have been decertified by SFI Foundation, Inc. and must be immediately returned to Impact Racing offices or an Impact representative. Impact Racing has reason to believe that these products do not fully comply with the stated SFI Specifications and therefore do not meet SFI manufacturer certification requirements. This recall applies to all such products whether or not they have been updated, rebadged, or recertified by Impact Racing. This recall applies even if the product now has a 2009 SFI patch or label affixed to the product. All applicable sanctioning bodies have been notified by Impact of this noncompliance. Please contact www.impactraceproducts.com for information or contact Impact Racing directly
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

SFI would have no idea how many items Impact is selling. Now, if Impact didn't buy ANY labels from SFI....

This may be a really ugly mark on Impact, however it just goes to further show how broken the "SFI system" really is.

OMG - no ways...!

K

I think we need to hear from SCCA. LOL I just sent Impact my belts to recertify. :~)

How many here saw the SFI suit label patch on eBay a while ago??

Does anyone know if this effects Helmets and gloves? I see it specifies shoes. All my equipment is from race season 2008, which has a manufacturing date of 2007!! Luckily Impact didn't have a suit to fit me and I went to Sabelt!
    Denise VanBuren

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    How many here saw the SFI suit label patch on eBay a while ago??
    OMG - no ways...!!!ii!

I have one that's just taking up space next to my FIA certification...

K

It says in the release helmets are not in the decertification.

matt

LOL - "6 available"

K

I always thought it was odd to name your personal safety racing gear company "Impact"... ...in racing, isn't that something you want to avoid? It's like naming an energy drink "Narcolepsy" or tooth paste "Decay".

I should be able to get my belts back from Imapct before the 90 day deadline expires. :~) I for one trust Bill Simpson's products.
    Last edited by dj10; 03-27-2010 at 02:47 PM.