Thread: Seat belt date expiration question

Default Seat belt date expiration question

I have SFI 16.1 belts, they are marked by the manufacturer May 05. Am I good for this year or do I need to replace??

Thanks

negative ghost rider the pattern is full.

get new ones.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Strange because they are marked "Good until the end of 2010", thought maybe it was 5 year after the initial year of manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jones View Post
    Strange because they are marked "Good until the end of 2010", thought maybe it was 5 year after the initial year of manufacture.
    IIRC that is only for FIA belts. The SFI belts I believe are only good for 3 years
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

If they are marked with the good until tag, the tag should say FIA on it. If they are
    Gforce belts with the FIA tag they are good. What kind are they?

matt

Non FIA belts are only good for 2 years, yours would be done at the end of 2007.

matt

It sounds like you have belts that have both SFI and FIA tags on them - this is not uncommon. SFI tags have only the "made on" date. Belts that have only SFI tags expire in the second full year after that date. In your case, that means they would have expired at the end of 2007. However, FIA tagged belts are good until the date on the tag. When both tags are present, the FIA tag "wins".

Dave

Dave, I saw a request for a volunteer to conduct a belt study in FT. Can you explain more? What are you guys looking for, expectations, etc?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

The BoD asked the CRB to look at the possibility of extending their use beyond the tag dates (FIA) or allowed period beyond manufacture date (SFI) given the usage our members make of them. The Australian counterpart of SCCA did this a couple of years ago. We hoped we could piggy back on whatever study they had done. Frankly, it was deeply flawed so we decided we would need to do our own. We had someone who planned to create the study, but for personal reasons was not able to do it. So now we are looking for someone else.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I double checked and they are FIA belts with exp. after 2010, so Im set for this year.

Thanks for the clarification.