Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BFG R-1's or Kook C51's

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Thanks, but ... not really.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    I look at both tires and know there is no contingency so that makes things even.

Which tire will be faster and offer the best life. The BFG's I have only read opinions based on heavier cars. I know the kooks are just as fast as the Hossiers but with alot better life.

Car is an ITA Neon size 205-50-15, I would be buying 6 tires and rotating them thru as even as possible. Would run at least the following

MVR Double @ Nelson 5/15-16 (3) practice/qualifying (2) races
    Steel Cities Restricted single @ Beaverun 7/31-8/1 (2) practice/qualifying (1) race
    NeOhio 1 day double after the 12 hr @ Nelson 8/22 (1) practice/qualifying (2) races
    Steel cities 1 day double @ Beaverun 9/26 (1) practice/qualifying (2) races ?

So that would be roughly 14 cycles spread across 6 tires

BFG's are $986.71 shipped
    Kooks are $1,095.00 shipped
    ive used the bfg R1 on my ITA bmw 2600 lbs ish for our enduro tire at Thunderhill and after 6 hours with no heat cycling before it looks like it could go at least another 6 hours more like 12. it took us almost 2 hours of driving before they started feeling good like the kumho 710's felt the day before durring practice we also had 12 heat cycled hoosier and none of the drivers liked that tire

I will add that when I put on R6 sticker tires for a 45 minute Pro IT - they dropped off badly. About 20 laps in they went very greasy - I will be sure to scuff them in the future and then let them cure. I think the weight of my car being very high with a full load of fuel added to this - I was 3150 on the grid and planned to burn off about 75 lbs of gas.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

ITS RX-7, RWD, race weight 2760 (I know - I need to go on a diet).

I tried the BFG R1. Was dog slow at Mid-Ohio, but it wasn't the tires' fault - wussy driving from too much time away from the track. This weekend at Grattan I fixed that problem and got a good comparison. I've got a gazillion laps at Grattan and run +/- 0.1 consistently. The best I could do with the BFGs was 0.9 slower than prior years on Hoosier R6s. The BFG heats up slower, slides more, shudders during a big slide, and wears like iron. I think I might have competed for wins this weekend with Hoosiers, but got beat by a handfull of seconds on the BFGs. Don't know if I'll buy them again or not.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

hrmm interesting..

Did you have use a pyro, and pressure gauge to get everything set??

From the testing done around here (ITS/A-ish fwd hondas) the R1 like Ra1 settings, AKA A WHOLE LOT of camber, and similiar pressures.

Same with the kooks.

The hoosier tends to like less camber and more pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    hrmm interesting..

Did you have use a pyro, and pressure gauge to get everything set??

From the testing done around here (ITS/A-ish fwd hondas) the R1 like Ra1 settings, AKA A WHOLE LOT of camber, and similiar pressures.

Same with the kooks.

The hoosier tends to like less camber and more pressure...
    My opportunities to get temps have been pretty limited though the years (usually no crew), so my expertise in reading them is likewise limited. I did get one reading at M-O and thought they looked reasonable. This is with my Hoosier setup - 2.5* front, 1* rear, 34 PSI cold front, 31 PSI cold rear. Maybe I need a little more testing. Thanks for the info.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    The BFG heats up slower, slides more, shudders during a big slide, and wears like iron.
    Interesting. I experienced that at Road Atlanta during the July race. The few times the car got a bit loose in turn one I felt the shudder. I thought it was the Diff causing it. But after reading your post, it must have been the tires.

Since I have one of the heaviest cars in IT, I like the first and last of the qualities that you listed up there, ha.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56