Thread: BFG R-1's or Kook C51's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default BFG R-1's or Kook C51's

I look at both tires and know there is no contingency so that makes things even.

Which tire will be faster and offer the best life. The BFG's I have only read opinions based on heavier cars. I know the kooks are just as fast as the Hossiers but with alot better life.

Car is an ITA Neon size 205-50-15, I would be buying 6 tires and rotating them thru as even as possible. Would run at least the following

MVR Double @ Nelson 5/15-16 (3) practice/qualifying (2) races
    Steel Cities Restricted single @ Beaverun 7/31-8/1 (2) practice/qualifying (1) race
    NeOhio 1 day double after the 12 hr @ Nelson 8/22 (1) practice/qualifying (2) races
    Steel cities 1 day double @ Beaverun 9/26 (1) practice/qualifying (2) races ?

So that would be roughly 14 cycles spread across 6 tires

BFG's are $986.71 shipped
    Kooks are $1,095.00 shipped
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    I look at both tires and know there is no contingency so that makes things even.

Which tire will be faster and offer the best life. The BFG's I have only read opinions based on heavier cars. I know the kooks are just as fast as the Hossiers but with alot better life.

Car is an ITA Neon size 205-50-15, I would be buying 6 tires and rotating them thru as even as possible. Would run at least the following

Steel Cities Restricted single @ Beaverun 7/31-8/1 (2) practice/qualifying (1) race
    NeOhio 1 day double after the 12 hr @ Nelson 8/22 (1) practice/qualifying (2) races

cough BFG cough

oh wait..am I allowed to vote?
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

I know the kooks are just as fast as the Hossiers but with alot better life.
    Really? Educate me on this!

PS: I think the Goodyear RS is better than all of them.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Really? Educate me on this!

PS: I think the Goodyear RS is better than all of them.
    This only what I have read and heard. I have not personally tried either tire yet. As far as the goodyears what kind of life do you get out of them.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

This only what I have read and heard. I have not personally tried either tire yet. As far as the goodyears what kind of life do you get out of them.
    unfortunately the goodyears only come in a few sizes, and after talking to the rep at PRI, that don't plan to change (no tires for 14" wheels) Also from the rep at PRI he says that with there tires, and especially with the slicks they need to be bedded or breaked in to get maximum life out of the tire. so run a light session, come in ot the pitcs and take the weight off them and let them cool.

Aparrently this will resolve the heat cycle issue people are having with them. I have alos heard that once they get hot, they will remain consistent, where a hoosier will dramatically fall away during the race.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

They would easily do 14 cycles across 6 tires. I find that they take an extra lap to come up to speed but are 100% consistant froa race up here in the Northeast. They are also less prone to flat spotting if you make a mistake. I have never gone faster with Hoosiers than with Goodyears. They are only available in 205/50 and 225/45 15's IIRC.

I have run them for 3 years now.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 03-24-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

When I was in ITS on a 15 inch wheel I ran Goodyears - personal best on them at LRP and NHIS...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    They would easily do 14 cycles across 6 tires. I find that they take an extra lap to come up to speed but are 100% consistant froa race up here in the Northeast. They are also less prone to flat spotting if you make a mistake. I have never gone faster with Hoosiers than with Goodyears. They are only available in 205/50 and 225/45 15's IIRC.

I have run them for 3 years now.
    So what is the best method you use to heat cycle them in? I can still drive my car on the street so I would consider running the fronts only for a good 10-15 minutes change and repeat. Cool in dark basement
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I've run Kooks and Hoosiers on my car back to back. The Kooks are great, but the Purple is greater. The Kooks do seem to last, with a gradual fall away.

The Kooks seem like they have tow golden laps right out of the gate.

Generally speaking, cycling requires you to get the tires up to temp...really up to temp. Street driving, unless you have a closed off development with lots of corners, just isn't practical.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

ive used the bfg R1 on my ITA bmw 2600 lbs ish for our enduro tire at Thunderhill and after 6 hours with no heat cycling before it looks like it could go at least another 6 hours more like 12. it took us almost 2 hours of driving before they started feeling good like the kumho 710's felt the day before durring practice we also had 12 heat cycled hoosier and none of the drivers liked that tire

I will add that when I put on R6 sticker tires for a 45 minute Pro IT - they dropped off badly. About 20 laps in they went very greasy - I will be sure to scuff them in the future and then let them cure. I think the weight of my car being very high with a full load of fuel added to this - I was 3150 on the grid and planned to burn off about 75 lbs of gas.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

ITS RX-7, RWD, race weight 2760 (I know - I need to go on a diet).

I tried the BFG R1. Was dog slow at Mid-Ohio, but it wasn't the tires' fault - wussy driving from too much time away from the track. This weekend at Grattan I fixed that problem and got a good comparison. I've got a gazillion laps at Grattan and run +/- 0.1 consistently. The best I could do with the BFGs was 0.9 slower than prior years on Hoosier R6s. The BFG heats up slower, slides more, shudders during a big slide, and wears like iron. I think I might have competed for wins this weekend with Hoosiers, but got beat by a handfull of seconds on the BFGs. Don't know if I'll buy them again or not.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

hrmm interesting..

Did you have use a pyro, and pressure gauge to get everything set??

From the testing done around here (ITS/A-ish fwd hondas) the R1 like Ra1 settings, AKA A WHOLE LOT of camber, and similiar pressures.

Same with the kooks.

The hoosier tends to like less camber and more pressure...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    hrmm interesting..

Did you have use a pyro, and pressure gauge to get everything set??

From the testing done around here (ITS/A-ish fwd hondas) the R1 like Ra1 settings, AKA A WHOLE LOT of camber, and similiar pressures.

Same with the kooks.

The hoosier tends to like less camber and more pressure...
    My opportunities to get temps have been pretty limited though the years (usually no crew), so my expertise in reading them is likewise limited. I did get one reading at M-O and thought they looked reasonable. This is with my Hoosier setup - 2.5* front, 1* rear, 34 PSI cold front, 31 PSI cold rear. Maybe I need a little more testing. Thanks for the info.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    The BFG heats up slower, slides more, shudders during a big slide, and wears like iron.
    Interesting. I experienced that at Road Atlanta during the July race. The few times the car got a bit loose in turn one I felt the shudder. I thought it was the Diff causing it. But after reading your post, it must have been the tires.

Since I have one of the heaviest cars in IT, I like the first and last of the qualities that you listed up there, ha.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56