Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye opener in IT

Default Eye opener in IT

My first weekend (at MAM) out since April opened my eye to a new day in MidDiv. IT is getting stronger. ITA has really become tough with most all entries pure IT cars instead of crossovers from SM. With that said there were more miatas entered in IT than in SM. The cars were not all full out builds, but most of them were pretty good IT cars.There were one or two that are real close to 100% and the driver talent is also very good.
    I was pleasently surprised that IT has progressed in MidDiv. SM may be suffering from rule changes. IT may be the place to race again.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    The cars were not all full out builds,
    some of them more than 100% i suspect.

There were one or two that are real close to 100% and the driver talent is also very good.
    Jesse Prather? yeah, he's alright.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    some of them more than 100% i suspect.

???such as?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I think only a couple had the overbore, but several have MEGASQUIRTS and some decent suspensions. I think Travis was poking fun a little as if he was confident of a trangression he would throw Fresh Paper.
    I was glad to see such good racing in IT. The last two cars in the group (IT7s) had the crowd cheering for them on every pass of the grandstands. There were numerous brands involved and with 30+ running it was the largest group of the event.

The beer mugs as trophies pleased the thirsty podium finishers!
    Mac Spikes

Back in 2004 or so, I was having an ongoing online argument with someone in regard to the "competitiveness" of the BMW E36 in ITS. Basically, this person (a very good friend to this day) did not believe me/us how dominant this car was, even when not fully prepared. No matter how many times you told him/them about what "we" were experiencing up here, about how dominant this car was, it was still all about "the car is classified correctly".

That argument lasted for a very long time, right up to the moment he visited the ARRC and got to see it for himself how the cars ran. Then, all of a sudden, he "got religion" and we ended up with the cars having intake restrictors and, ultimately, the birth of ITR.

Ironically, he is from Texas, where the competition level of most Club Racing cars isn't quite up to the standards of other parts of the country, like the Northeast, where you can get away with lesser prep.

Welcome to the bigs, Mac.

And before you (royal "you") get all pissy, I'm from Texas. Been there, done that. Moved to Connecticut in the early 90's, specifically chasing the racing competition.

GA

I was pleasently surprised that IT has progressed in MidDiv. SM may be suffering from rule changes. IT may be the place to race again.
    Here's a video of the opening lap of Saturday's race from back in the pack (started 14th). ITB should have been a race to watch, and actually was for about 5 laps, but...

Oh Hell, just watch the 3 minute video and find out.

http://www.youtube.com/v/tJjZy53AoFc...en_US&hd=1
    Last edited by Gary L; 08-18-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

VERY COOL, Gary!!!!!!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Back in 2004 or so, I was having an ongoing online argument with someone in regard to the "competitiveness" of the BMW E36 in ITS. Basically, this person (a very good friend to this day) did not believe me/us how dominant this car was, even when not fully prepared. No matter how many times you told him/them about what "we" were experiencing up here, about how dominant this car was, it was still all about "the car is classified correctly".

That argument lasted for a very long time, right up to the moment he visited the ARRC and got to see it for himself how the cars ran. Then, all of a sudden, he "got religion" and we ended up with the cars having intake restrictors and, ultimately, the birth of ITR.

Ironically, he is from Texas, where the competition level of most Club Racing cars isn't quite up to the standards of other parts of the country, like the Northeast, where you can get away with lesser prep.

Welcome to the bigs, Mac.

And before you (royal "you") get all pissy, I'm from Texas. Been there, done that. Moved to Connecticut in the early 90's, specifically chasing the racing competition.

GA
    Sir Greg,
    No welcome needed, (but thanks for the sentiment) I went to my first ARRC in 2000 and got a good intro into big time club racing. I have been most years since (was there for your win) and always love to see the talent from different areas of the country. Some places are hotbeds for Regional racers while others are more National leaning. Yet others have enough to be strong in both. Texas is more concentrated on the National side. Down here many of the drivers also run NASA. Great IT cars are just not seen too often. MidDiv at least had IT numbers when I started racing there 4 years ago. Now they have not only numbers, but folks committed to building better cars and doing some development. I think it has to do with more stable rules than SM. A stronger IT group is good for the whole division.
    (Letting my Republic of Texas side show) Hey we have had some ARRC Champs in the past, Stretch, Benzer, and you (sort of half way ) just to name some off the top of my head.
    As my original post stated, I was pleasently surprised to see IT in such great shape after not being able to race for a while. Hope it is like that in other parts of the country.
    Mac Spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    Here's a video of the opening lap of Saturday's race from back in the pack (started 14th). ITB should have been a race to watch, and actually was for about 5 laps, but...

Oh Hell, just watch the 3 minute video and find out.

http://www.youtube.com/v/tJjZy53AoFc...en_US&hd=1
    As usual Gary it is fun watching you wheel "The Flying Blue Box" as my girls call your car. Thanks for the video, my "To the left...to the right" move at the start looks as exciting on video as it was in the car. You, Chris, & Chuck had a super battle going, too bad it went south. That run group had battles throughout...The "A" bunch with Jessie, Brian, and Travis: Y'alls "B" scrum: My fight with the RX8, and the IT7s at the tailend just going tooth & nail........Great stuff according to people in the stands.
    Mac Spikes

Good to hear IT is improving here! Now I'm excited to race some local talent in ITB!! I was considering just leaving my Volvo 242 in FL to compete, which I will for starters. Now she's definitely gonna be based out of Texas. I hope this trend continues.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I.T. was tremendously popular in SowDiv/MidDiv in the mid- to late-80's when it first arrived. I remember I.T. fields that were the biggest of any Regional/National weekend. 'Course, back then it was the Wild West, run-whatcha-brung, very little rules enforcement....

Somehow Mac's good news is getting pooh-poohed by an Exan and SM disciple. Unfortunate.

Again I look forward to renewed IT interest in the MidDiv. Running in the same group with Albin, Hemmingson and Learned will be more than enough competition for me, if I can catch them.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Yeah, I've noticed some real impressive ITA performances out there this year, but I can't help and think it's too bad no one out there is seriously ringing out anything other than a Miata. Fields full of Miata's make baby Jesus cry.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    Somehow Mac's good news is getting pooh-poohed by an Exan and SM disciple. Unfortunate.
    LOL! Never heard that term before, "Exan". I'm assuming you're life-long resident yourself, with much "real" Texas experience and not just someone that moved to one of the big cities and bought some shiny boots and a cowboy hat (and irons his jeans for Sunday), and complains about all that traffic on the "durned" Interstates...?

Then again, since I actually lived the first third of life in Cajun country (one side of the family is agriculture and cattle, the other side is cattle and oil service) one can certainly argue I'm as much coon-ass as I am Texan or Yankee...I really did enjoy my time in Aggieland the best, though...

But posh, you know all about that stuff.

The point bein', friends, is that Mac's "good news" is like walking into a church on Sunday and loudly proclaiming "The Lord is Our Savior!"...hey, yeah man, that's great brother; have a seat and can ya pass the tithe plate over, wouldja...?

(Mac, I'm just ribbin' ya.)

GA

P.S. "SM disciple"? LOL! You haven't been around very long, have you...?

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Yeah, I've noticed some real impressive ITA performances out there this year, but I can't help and think it's too bad no one out there is seriously ringing out anything other than a Miata. Fields full of Miata's make baby Jesus cry.
    there's some other builds popping up kevin. a guy in wichita has brought out a new fiero, new last year was a Nissan SE-R that's coming along nicely, and another guy in Columbia MO has an EG hatch. there aren't really any "new build" miatas, just converts from SM.
    Last edited by tnord; 08-18-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

It's all tongue-n-cheek. I know you've only recently converted to the race church of Miata. I was in the shadows during your ITS/ITA Nissan days and have read up on your road to victory.

Any plans for another drive in Texas? Now that IT is heating up down here maybe the local shoes could use some Yankee competition.

I'm a native Virginian, just in Texas for the work, which fortunately allows me to build my car (finally!).
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

What was Chuck doing/driving in B???

And was Jesse just playing in A or is he making a switch?

Wish I was there but had to work. At least the Peon had unbroken rear struts this time.....
    Paul Sherman
    Wichita Region
    '96 Neon #19 ITA (finally )
    Formerly known as P Sherm
    Joined 30 Sep 02
    Member No. 1176

chuck seems to drive in B at this event every year....or at least the times that i'm there. jesse was just playing around, but i know he had a good time. i'm trying to talk him into the ARRC since he's not going to the runoffs.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Greg, did you go to school at A&M? I have been going down there for games since 61! I paid a bunch of money for two of my daughters to be Aggies.
    The Aggieanapolis was a good race weekend at TWS.

Yeah Jessie should do the ARRC. There should be a decent bunch of MidDivers down there.

Trav, bring some actual "real tires" to ARRC!
    Mac Spikes

Trav, bring some actual "real tires" to ARRC!
    if i make it, you can be rest assured that i'll have some stickers.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region