Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With all the talk about Miata ITA enduro cars...

Default With all the talk about Miata ITA enduro cars...

The stock tank is too small, the stock location does not really allow for cell installation with fast fill capability.
    What do you think a 22 gallon fuel cell in the trunk would do to the handling of a miata?
    Please discuss

Why in the trunk, Tyler? Simply install it in that area right behind the driver, just aft of the vertical cockpit bulkhead and right behind where you have your rollcage mounted. All you need is a box around it to be legal, and it's right in the middle of the car...

Or if you want to get clever, what about in the passenger seat area? Use that ballast to balance that fat-ass sitting on the left side of the car. Again, all you need to do it cover it with a box to be legal...

GA, whose fat-ass is possibly driving this car for the VIR 13 this year...

I've never cut a Miata up but it wasn't clear that we could get that big cell into the Golf either, until we did it. And in that case, there was exactly ONE place it would fit, given the rear axle location.

Kirk (whose not-quite-so-fast ass will likely be hot-swapping with Greg and Tyler)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Why in the trunk, Tyler? Simply install it in that area right behind the driver, just aft of the vertical cockpit bulkhead and right behind where you have your rollcage mounted. All you need is a box around it to be legal, and it's right in the middle of the car...

Or if you want to get clever, what about in the passenger seat area? Use that ballast to balance that fat-ass sitting on the left side of the car. Again, all you need to do it cover it with a box to be legal...

GA, whose fat-ass is possibly driving this car for the VIR 13 this year...
    Pass seat area is a possibility, the fast prod cars all have it there.
    The factory tank fills from the side, if mounting a top fill cell of any decent size in the factory location there is no room to get a filler hose to the rear of the car. There is also nowhere in the passenger compartment to have a filler hose exit short of filling through the glass on the hard top. Can you cut a hole in automotive glass and would it be legal to do so?

Does it still has to be within 12 inches of the stock location?

And remember additional reinforcement cannot be attached to the cage and in most cases the cell cannot be larger than 10% of stock.

Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    and in most cases the cell cannot be larger than 10% of stock.

Stephen.
    That is a local rule in our supps.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Gotchya... my bad!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by tyler raatz View Post
    ...if mounting a top fill cell of any decent size in the factory location there is no room to get a filler hose to the rear of the car...
    So you use the stock filler hole to mount your quick-fill, run a tube to the cell.

Can you cut a hole in automotive glass and would it be legal to do so?
    I don't think so, though one can argue you MIGHT be able to mount it into the hard top (but I'd hate for you to do that, destroying the top's value and making it a PITA to replace if needed).

However, if you mount the cell in the passenger seat area, you could have a "convertible" fill: one top-fill under the cover for regular sprint weekends, then an easily-installed "side fill" in the passenger window area or something where you simply open the passenger door and fill from there. As long as all components are isolated from the passenger compartment it would be legal....I'll look over a Spec Miata and give it some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Does it still has to be within 12 inches of the stock location?
    Yes. But that's not center-to-center, that's any part of the stock tank (even the flange) to any part of the new cell (including its mounting bracketry?) Hell, in a Miata just about EVERYWHERE is within 12 inches of the stock tank!!!

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of a fuel cell in the passenger floorboard of a Miata. With the disparity of cars that enter enduros, there's just too much opportunity for a side collision that could compromise the cell, and the idea of 25 gallons of fuel spewing next to me while I'm flipping upside down is "unattractive"...

I think I'd pursue the idea of putting the cell in the stock location, as far forward and as low as possible, with the quick-filler in the stock location (remove the filler door).

GA

...and if one were to go with a NASCAR-style solution that built the steel cell box into the structure of the car, with framing and reinforcement as appropriate, it could be hell for stout. Might be that the bladder could be poked up from the bottom, with the "lid" not in the driver's compartment.

I'm curiouser and curiouser on the fuel mileage question for the Miatae.

K

Didn't Andy say once you enrichen them to make "ITA" or "ITS" power, they drink fuel badly??
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

i don't know about "badly" but mine does seem to use about 1/3 again more fuel than my SM did.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Seems badly to me, especially for an enduro car.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

i haven't quite figured it out yet, as the car is still new to me. i *THINK* my old 1.6 SM used ~3 gallons for a race, and got ~12mpg. I dumped in *something* over 3.5 gallons last race at the same track and ran out on the last lap. so i guess i need to dump in 4 gal next time. rough calculations have me at 8mpg now instead.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Over the couple of years that I really tracked it religiously, my 1.6 SM hovered between 10 and 10.5 MPG. YMMV.

That's based on the odometer mileage, though - I don't know how that compares to the real world / GPS.
    -----------------------
    Jarrod Igou
    ITR/STU BMW 325i, #92
    Des Moines Valley Region

Yes, it full-bore IT trim they suck gas VERY quickly. I swear mine uses more fuel than my ITS RX-7 did.

Greg qualified it correctly...bolt ons for a touch more power, stock ECU, a slightly upgraded SM suspension and some R-comps and you should be able to lead the SM crowd without issue and get similar MPG.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Well, I'm confused. Doesn't
    In any automobile where allowed removal of rear seats, upholstery, etc., creates an opening between the driver/passenger compartment and an exposed gas tank, fuel cell, or part thereof, a metal bulkhead which completely fills such opening shall be installed
    mean that the cell and those non-metalic hoses need to be behind a bulkhead?

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    I've never cut a Miata up but it wasn't clear that we could get that big cell into the Golf either, until we did it. And in that case, there was exactly ONE place it would fit, given the rear axle location.

Kirk (whose not-quite-so-fast ass will likely be hot-swapping with Greg and Tyler)
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Well, I'm confused. Doesn't [snippage] mean that the cell and those non-metalic hoses need to be behind a bulkhead?
    Kirk has a box over all that; it's only open for the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Kirk has a box over all that; it's only open for the photo.
    Ahh. Thanks Greg.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

That blue car = best built/designed enduro car I've seen.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8