Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a 88 CRX SI ITA car

Default Bought a 88 CRX SI ITA car

Hi all new to the Honda world with the purchase of this CRX SI

so far the only thing I have done is change the oil, order a shifter extension of Ebay, suck out some of the old brake fluid and add some more.

oh I did put the car on the scales
    the K&N filter is pretty beat up so I might change that

David
    C1R (Code One Racing)
    Last edited by Davegt74; 03-24-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Welcome!
    You will enjoy the CRX. Its a great car...and not to mention...its a Honda

If there is any advice/help you need, there are plenty of us on this forum.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Congrats! I love that car. There are lots of very smart Honda type people around here and always willing to help out. Keep posting!
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I've been doing some searches to get an idea what might be needed
    and getting ready for the drivers school this weekend (that's if it does not snow)

David

nice looking MR2

Ohh.. yeah.. congrats on the honda thing to! haha.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

oops fixed

received the shifter extension Pic after i get 4 posts LOL

David

vBulletin Message
    In an effort to stamp out forum SPAM only members with 4 posts or more can post website links or email addresses.

Dave
    If your going to the NJ Motorsports park event this weekend, I will be one of the instructors, so look me up. I've been racing CRX's for a number of years (just retired a year ago) and can give you some tips.

I also manufacture some custom parts for that car as well as winning motors and gearboxes.

Thanks Tom

I am in CO

you can do so little to an ITA car i cant think of what you would make.

I did not want to make to many changes to the car so i bought this shifter extension off Ebay

Davegt27

don't know exactly what his capability are, but here is a short list.

Spherical suspension bushings
    Custom wiring harness
    Stand alone ECU
    headers/exhaust
    Sway bar end links
    Sway bar mounts
    speedway rear bar
    Final drives
    etc...

then there is the whole building motor and tranny thing.

There is a few people around that can do all of these if you are in the market for them, myself included.
    Last edited by quadzjr; 03-26-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    don't know exactly what his capability are, but here is a short list.

Spherical suspension bushings
    Custom wiring harness
    Stand alone ECU
    headers/exhaust
    Sway bar end links
    Sway bar mounts
    speedway rear bar
    Final drives
    etc...

then there is the whole building motor and tranny thing.

There is a few people around that can do all of these if you are in the market for them, myself included.
    I see
    I got out my 2004 rule book and the CRX got a pretty big wt reward
    on the scales the left front is over 700Lbs but the tire load rating is 1135lbs
    this scares the heck out of me

question can we use 15" wheels? (I am guessing 15" tires will have a higher load rating)

David

yes.. in ITA you can use 7" wide wheels.

15x7 are a common wheel size.

in ITB you can run a 15x6
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    yes.. in ITA you can use 7" wide wheels.

15x7 are a common wheel size.

in ITB you can run a 15x6

so you can run 14x7 rims also?

also are the front hubs a hi failure item

with 61% weight at the front I can see how they would fail all the time

is this a dangerous condition I mean would a hub failure cause a crash?

thanks
    David

yes in ITa you can run 14x7. rule of thumb is you can run teh same diameter as stock or 15". 7" width maximum.

Hubs need to be inspected often, some replace more than others, just keep an eye on them. They are becoming more and more rare, and are not that cheap.

Hub failure can result in a crash, depending on where on track it brakes and how.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

are hubs getting hard to find for the 2nd gen CRX? i know they are o the 1st gen.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

You can still get hubs from the dealer for the EF.

14x7's are fine. I wouldn't worry about the corner weight and tire capacity... it's a non issue. You don't want 15x7's b/c fitting 225/45 Hoosiers is a real PITA on the rear. It can be done but the offset is crucial and they still barely fit. The 14's are going to be just as fast but easier to get on the car.

4.7 FD is the best "all around" although different options may be better for specific tracks.

The weight adjustment was part of the Great Re-alignment. The CRX was one of the bogey's for the class and the weight really hasn't slowed them down.

Sphericals are good but especially important in the radius rods. You can run a mix of OEM and poly on the rest and be just fine.

IT allows a shit-ton of development and parts. You can spend some serious cubic-dollars when looking at a full prep car.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

14x7's are fine. I wouldn't worry about the corner weight and tire capacity... it's a non issue. You don't want 15x7's b/c fitting 225/45 Hoosiers is a real PITA on the rear. It can be done but the offset is crucial and they still barely fit. The 14's are going to be just as fast but easier to get on the car.
    good points, spent some time looking for some 14x7" rims but as luck would have it i cant find anyone that sells the lightest ones listed on wheel wts.net

4.7 FD is the best "all around" although different options may be better for specific tracks.
    the guy that sold me the car tried to sell me a 4.7FD but I did not have any more money also I figured since its a Honda they should be easy to get.

The weight adjustment was part of the Great Re-alignment. The CRX was one of the bogey's for the class and the weight really hasn't slowed them down.

Sphericals are good but especially important in the radius rods. You can run a mix of OEM and poly on the rest and be just fine.
    I had to look up what a radius rod is but it should be easy to make one (other cars call them strut rods)

IT allows a shit-ton of development and parts. You can spend some serious cubic-dollars when looking at a full prep car.
    hope its less then the FP/GTL cars (one guy e-mailed me and said unless I am dynoing 7 motors in the off season forget about GT)

I know I wont be some hot shoe so my goal for this car is to just make it faster then it was when I first got the car

if I can figure out how to hook up my narrow band AFR meter then I can work on the very rich mixture it has now

thanks
    David
    Last edited by Davegt74; 03-28-2010 at 11:20 PM.

14x7 Team Dynamics are plenty light and strong. They're also not terribly expensive.

Yep, 4.7FD isn't too hard to find. Plenty of folks make them... do a little searching/asking to see which will be the best blend of price and reliability. I'd suggest having it cryo'd and REM'd while your at it.

Radius Rods are the ones that go "forward" off your front LCA's to the front subframe. Progress Suspension makes a kit or you can make your own.

Yes, less than FP/GTL but still quite a bit if you want to go full-tilt-boogy. If you're running a stock ECU along with aftermarket intake/header/exhaust, I wouldn't worry too much about AFR being too rich. They make good power in that configuration and there's no sense leaning it out when that could impact reliability. IIRC, the stock ECU doesn't look at the o2 sensor at full throttle anyway... just runs the regular "open loop" program.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Dave,

I also run a CRX in the Northeast and have quite a few parts/spares for the CRX. Drop me a note if you need anything (ie, transmissions, doors, heads, suspension parts, OPM LSD, springs, shocks etc.)
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    14x7 Team Dynamics are plenty light and strong. They're also not terribly expensive.

Yep, 4.7FD isn't too hard to find. Plenty of folks make them... do a little searching/asking to see which will be the best blend of price and reliability. I'd suggest having it cryo'd and REM'd while your at it.

Radius Rods are the ones that go "forward" off your front LCA's to the front subframe. Progress Suspension makes a kit or you can make your own.

Yes, less than FP/GTL but still quite a bit if you want to go full-tilt-boogy. If you're running a stock ECU along with aftermarket intake/header/exhaust, I wouldn't worry too much about AFR being too rich. They make good power in that configuration and there's no sense leaning it out when that could impact reliability. IIRC, the stock ECU doesn't look at the o2 sensor at full throttle anyway... just runs the regular "open loop" program.
    yep your right don't make any changes, I have to force myself to keep hands off for now

the Narrow band O 2 sensor is in the wrong place anyway it would never light off way back where its at.

I also run a CRX in the Northeast and have quite a few parts/spares for the CRX. Drop me a note if you need anything (ie, transmissions, doors, heads, suspension parts, OPM LSD, springs, shocks etc.)
    Tony, got any Eibach springs this thing only has 430lbs springs in the front
    the A-Arm's has been contacting the Kioni/GC coil overs and putting marks on them.

David

DAVE
    I ran CRX in ITA for a number of years. I have converted my cars to FP. I would happy to tell you some of the mistakes and good ideas we developed over the year.
    I also have two sets of 14X7 Panasports Rallye wheels that I would be happy to sell. I use 13X7 in FP.
    My best finish with the cars was a 2nd place at the June Sprints, running the car only slightly changed from ITA specs. I even ran the Hoosier DOTs.
    My e-mail is [email protected].
    Good Luck
    Tony Machi
    Remember it's them or USGUYS