Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what seat would you get?

Default what seat would you get?

I am wondering what seats everyone likes and would recommend for under $1000. My wife wants me safe and gave me that as a limit!

Stephen

An FIA-test and -certified one, definitely not one of those cheesy sheet-metal ones.

Go sit in a bunch, see for yourself what you like. - GA

I'd look at racetechs, Momos, OMPs, etc. The fit will be the most critical issue, so you'll have to test sit them. Mounting rules have been opened up so give that some thought as well. And finally, consider egress ease.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Any good ideas on where to try them? I wish racarama wasn't over!

I'll have a RaceTech at the NHMS National and School/Regional, and I'd bet that a whole lotta other examples will be there for the askin'...

Go look in peoples cars and ask to sit in their seats. My size requires a larger seat, and I got lucky with the Sparco Evo2 FA (fat ass). That seat is very comfortable and supportive. Now, extra safety dictates the head halo, but it can be very restrictive in entry/egress. Simply for that reason I would not buy one because I could not get out of the seat in a reasonable amount of time (and NASA thinks you should be able to get out in 10 seconds or less) Trial fit and get the one that feels the best...you should be able to fall asleep on the grid, as I do on occasion. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Sparco Pro Adv here. If that's too big, Sparco Circut Pro and if you are really thin, a Sparco Circuit.

Saferacer has a 110% price guarantee. There is also a 10% discount code if you do a Google search.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

We should have 2 or 3 RaceTechs in boxes at the shop ready to go into new builds. Every car we support also has RaceTechs.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Sparco Circuit or similar style by another brand

I can sit in it and drive, dont have to worry about bracing myself, and the head bolsters are a good safety feature.

If you are a larger size, Go German.

Recaro or Koenig.

I use a Racetech 4009WHR and love it! You'll need the W - wide version - if you have a waist over 34". The HR is head restraint. It is not much more than your budget and extremely comfortable. If you come up North I would be glad to let you sit in the car. Just don't push any buttons... lol.
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

I recently purchased a Racetech RT4009WHRV. Here's my reasoning for selecting this seat.

- Side head restraint - lateral support
    - Side shoulder restraint - lateral support keeps my torso supported with the rest of my body and doesn't push my shoulders forward
    - 6-point mounting configuration (more load paths)
    - Fit - I tested just about every seat on display at the '09 PRI show and the Racetech was the best fit. I do plan on getting a foam insert made for additional protection.

This seat was part of the Viper Comp Coupe safety package that had some safety heavy hitters involved. Additionally this seat was the basis for the new FIA spec, albeit beefed up a bit. Those points are not deal makers/breakers, but they give me more confidence in the seats ability to protect me.

I was considering other seats based on cost, but my Dad reminded me that safety is first. Skimp on other areas and go for broke on safety equipment. I can always upgrade brakes, engine, tires, shocks, etc. later if I'm alive.

David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post
    I use a Racetech 4009WHR and love it! You'll need the W - wide version - if you have a waist over 34". The HR is head restraint. It is not much more than your budget and extremely comfortable. If you come up North I would be glad to let you sit in the car. Just don't push any buttons... lol.
    LOL... I just sat in our new 4009HR and damn I need to loose that weight I gained as its damn snug!!! Last night I had to finally admit defeat and jump on the treadmill.
    Jeremy Billiel

David, where did you get the seat? The v version is well over the threads budget, say over double. I am not saying it is not a seat that everyone would like to have just that it does not apply here.

matt

I had crappy seats in my first few race cars. The latest one came with a Recaro. I would never have dreamed that a seat can make that much of a difference. Not only does it hold really well but I FEEL safer. I like having that halo around my head.

I'll never skimp on a seat again.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Try the Ultrashield full containment as well (very reasonable and safe) there is a guy on racingjunk.com ( don't say it Greg!) selling them for 533 delivered!! Almost enough left over to get a sport hans as well!!!
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    David, where did you get the seat? The v version is well over the threads budget, say over double. I am not saying it is not a seat that everyone would like to have just that it does not apply here.

matt
    Matt,

I bought the seat as a packaged deal from Apex Performance. I picked a price I wanted to pay and basically made shops bid for my business. CDOC had a last years RT4009HRV for @ $1400, but it's too tight a fit for me. I did pay more than the threads budget, but that is a result of rethinking the importance of safety. I read quite a few articles of how seat selection and seat fit affect driver safety. That is why I ended up springing for the Viper seat.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

I have an OMP Grip. Lightweight, FIA cert. easy to get in and out. and the price was resonable.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    I recently purchased a Racetech RT4009WHRV. Here's my reasoning for selecting this seat.

This seat was part of the Viper Comp Coupe safety package that had some safety heavy hitters involved. Additionally this seat was the basis for the new FIA spec, albeit beefed up a bit. Those points are not deal makers/breakers, but they give me more confidence in the seats ability to protect me.

It's important to note that the Viper seat (and it's closely related versions, like wide and the FIA version) are the ONLY Racetech seats built like they are. Their other seats are comparable to the rest of the stuff on the market, and only meet the older FIA standard, which is "lower" than any car you can buy at a dealer has to meet.
    Tim

Don't have much experience here though I am happy with my first purchase, a Momo Daytona. The advise here is right on... sample... sample... sample! The Daytona does have a head restraint as well and could be purchased for less than $750.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.