Thread: April Fastrack

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OK, the moderators may want to start a new thread with this post, but Rules and Regs is a good place to start.

CRB Sound language
    Merideth/Sheridan, motion to approve the following GCR change:
    Approved: Butler, Creighton, Gordy, Kephart, Langlotz, Lewis, Lybarger, Merideth, Noble, Sheridan, Wannarka. Abstain: Patullo.
    Effective immediately 3/9/10.
    5.7.3. Standards
    A sound level instrument (meter) that meets American National Standards Institute (ANSI) S1.4-1983 Class 2 or better shall
    be used. The primary maximum for SCCA Sound Control shall be a sound pressure level of 103dB “A” frequency weighted
    (dBA) measured on the fast response setting at 50 feet (+/- 2 feet) from the edge of the track pavement, and/ or artificial
    markers indicating track edge. Lower
    (Other) maximum levels may be imposed at specific venues or events. These lower

(alternate)
    levels shall be noted in the Supplemental Regulations. All sound readings shall be truncated to the lower whole
    EFFECTIVE FIRST DAY OF THE MONTH UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED April 2010

number. (Anything after the decimal point is ignored.)
    Change the sentence “Lower maximum levels may be imposed at specific venues or events.” to read, “Other maximum
    levels may be imposed at specific venues or events.” The next sentence would also drop the word “lower” and replace with
    “alternate”.
    BoD discussion on enforcement of sound rules, intended for exceptions and on a track by track basis. Some Divisions may
    determine not to enforce sound based on local tracks. Exec Stewards with Regions will make determination. Sound will still
    be monitored.

What's the opinion of the group on this change? Good? Bad? I was Chief of Sound Control for two regions for 18 years, so I have my opinions.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

In So-Pac, our neighbor is King-Cotton. I guess he went deaf somtime during the war of Northern Aggression, because he's never complained about the sound. Oh, and our last chief of sound moved out of the area and no one's replaced him yet.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBill View Post
    What's the opinion of the group on this change? Good? Bad? I was Chief of Sound Control for two regions for 18 years, so I have my opinions.
    I'd love to hear what the impetus was for this change. I think it's a bad idea for amateur motorsports to ever reduce the requirements to be quiet (even if in this case it's just a potential, not an actual change.)

Racing would not change much if we all had to be at 96 dBA vs. 103dbA.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Racing would not change much if we all had to be at 96 dBA vs. 103dbA.
    Says the guy without a rotary! LOL
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Don't be too sure Andy, I make more power and torque at 97db max than I ever did with louder systems. Most of my readings are in the high 80's.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Don't be too sure Andy, I make more power and torque at 97db max than I ever did with louder systems. Most of my readings are in the high 80's.
    Does that transfer to the 12A, and, can the system be made light...without resorting to titanium?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I bet so.

Steve E's cars have always been fast and NOT loud. Very much different from other RX7s and a welcome change from the usual "weedeater madness" sound.

The issue with the 12A has been space and the lack of available pounds. Few cars with normal drivers can hit weight, and it has a big affect on that car. And there's not a lot of space under there for the noise controlling items.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but, it's not an easy slam dunk
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Would love to get my hands on THAT stuff!
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967