Thread: Intermediate Rain Tire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Following Andy's unlimited budget thinking.....last years NARRC Offs were a semi rain race. Started wet but I thought it would dry. But, it was COLD..and that happens often when it rains, as it's typical for it to rain in the cooler months.
    My tire choices: Dirt Stockers (It was wet enough at the start)
    or-- Hoosier R6 slicks.
    Or hankooks "A" compound slicks

I chose the Hankooks. It was cold, remember?

For the first few laps, it was hairier than hairy. I went backwards. Around lap 6 or so, it was "equalized. By lap 9 I liked my call. But the dry line was inches wide in places. And if I was off line at the committed 'kinda dry' speed on slicks, it was going to be uuuugly.

At the end, I was way faster than they guy ahead of me, but, he had 30hp on me, so I couldn't pass him on the straights. And I sure couldn't (I tried) pass him off line in the corners, because it was still wet. It was like being on oiled ice. I was stuck behind him. We had some contact even as he'd slip coming out of corners when I had good drive.

So, My "cost no object" quiver would be Hoosier Rs, Hoosier As, but hand cut, and Dirt Stockers. (of course, now that I think of it, hand cutting wouldn't be kosher! Hmmm, maybe the Hoosier wets are as soft a compound? )

Andy and Shane had a hell of a race that day and Andy was on RA1s, IIRC.
    Started DAMP and ended up dry. I was on R888's from one of our rental SM's and Shane was on A6's. My plan was to get a lead from pole and try to hold him off. No dice. He was on my bumper from the first turn and beat me in traffic on the last lap. He was faster but I was protecting my spot. He drove a helluva race. We lapped the entire field.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    We lapped the entire field.
    Twice!!! maybe more... FYI, I was on 3 yr old Hoosier Ws that day and it sucked!!! finished 6th I think... I still have nightmares...
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Twice!!! maybe more... FYI, I was on 3 yr old Hoosier Ws that day and it sucked!!! finished 6th I think... I still have nightmares...
    Yeah, that was a damn scary race. I was on R6s and pissed myself several times in the beginning. And they only lapped me once......... But I also had a few off course excursions that slowed me down a little!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Yeah, that was a damn scary race. I was on R6s and pissed myself several times in the beginning. And they only lapped me once......... But I also had a few off course excursions that slowed me down a little!!!
    You need to pick your spots better like I did. When you spin off keep it going and you eventually spin run back on.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    I remember that! But Andy said it was only damp! you didn't spin in the damp, did you?
    (Oh, and thanks, that spot in the left hander was more than 'damp' after you chucked water and mud on it!. )
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com